Active Topics

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
What? That doesn't make any kind of sense at all. 4.6 is the base Qt lib version now on the device. How could it even be possible for it to not be available?

Anyway you're obviously free to do with it as you want. Actually, the navit gui developer is doing the same thing with QML, but the dependence on 4.7 of his packages is a hindrance to that app's adoption by end users.
QT declarative part of 4.6 was removed:
http://maemo.org/packages/view/libqt...5-declarative/

New version. Most changes are for future development and UI for them is not implemented yet. I would like to discuss how user interface should look like. Would such UI be confortable for you?
http://kibergus.su/node/51

The Following User Says Thank You to KiberGus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by KiberGus View Post
New version. Most changes are for future development and UI for them is not implemented yet. I would like to discuss how user interface should look like. Would such UI be confortable for you?
http://kibergus.su/node/51
That looks really nice. Two things that come to mind: what about an option to automatically stop timers and average speed measures when the bike is motionless (you mentioned manually doing that); a way to label the counters and have them logged would be useful. I guess that would require keyboard or virtual keyboard use though.

I'm trying to decide what mount to get for my bike. Anyone who has a mount that works with their N900, please share your experience.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

That looks really nice. Two things that come to mind: what about an option to automatically stop timers and average speed measures when the bike is motionless (you mentioned manually doing that);
Yes, this si a good idea.
a way to label the counters and have them logged would be useful. I guess that would require keyboard or virtual keyboard use though.
Logging of counters is not needed. I'll log time, when reed is locked. From this information everything else can be restored. But may be I'll change my mind when I'll make logging.
Labeling of counters can be useful, but not for the first version.

P.S. Todays trip showed that there is an error in current version which makes speed about 10 times smaller. I need to check coefficients again.

@KiberGus: Looks quite good to me, I'll see what I think when I start riding with it...

I'm trying to decide what mount to get for my bike. Anyone who has a mount that works with their N900, please share your experience.
As mentioned above, I got http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15544 -- I can't recommend it. It can be adjusted to not press any of the buttons, and to allow easy enough access to the volume rocker, though it makes the others awkward to press; all in all, it worked rather well for a week and a half, then the ratchet breaks. (I'm not really mad, because I knew it was junk when I bought it -- I was just hoping it would be more like 3 months life.)

So now I'm using a custom plastic holder, basically just a pocket the size and shape of an N900 w/extended back milled in a block of plastic; it's not finished yet, but it'll soon offer fat-buttons for the volume rocker, power, and shutter buttons, as well as direct access to the USB and AV jacks and the unlock slider. (Doesn't do a thing for the rest of you without access to a machine shop, though. )

Since I'm posting, here's my install status, if anyone cares:

I'm now at a standstill as I got caught out in a sudden rainstorm and didn't stop to unmount/cover my N900; now I have a dead digitizer. (The above-mentioned speaker did fairly well, though -- some water in the audio jack messed up contact until I blew it out with compressed air, but when converted with all cables siliconed in, it should be ok for typical rain -- so far I think I can recommend it for anyone considering a full-bore setup like I'm doing.)

So now I'm just waiting on shipping for both the new digitizer and a cheap headset (to snip the TRRS plug and cable from). I picked up a $10 cycle computer to get the magnet and more importantly the reed switch, already in a waterproof housing w/ mounting bracket and cable.

*hates slow shipping from China*

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by KiberGus View Post
P.S. Todays trip showed that there is an error in current version which makes speed about 10 times smaller. I need to check coefficients again.
Is it possible you're not as fast as you thought you were?

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
As mentioned above, I got http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15544 -- I can't recommend it. It can be adjusted to not press any of the buttons, and to allow easy enough access to the volume rocker, though it makes the others awkward to press; all in all, it worked rather well for a week and a half, then the ratchet breaks. (I'm not really mad, because I knew it was junk when I bought it -- I was just hoping it would be more like 3 months life.)
Confession: i already have that monstrosity. I bought it about 9 months ago knowing i was going to use whatever next-PDA-gadget i got as a bike nav/computer. I haven't been brave enough to put something as heavy and expensive as the N900 in it, though.

If the dang thing had a standard camera mount it would really solve a lot of problems. :/

So now I'm just waiting on shipping for both the new digitizer and a cheap headset (to snip the TRRS plug and cable from). I picked up a $10 cycle computer to get the magnet and more importantly the reed switch, already in a waterproof housing w/ mounting bracket and cable.

*hates slow shipping from China*
Not a bad idea for the parts. I'll be interested to read how the franken-sensor setup works for you.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
is it in extra-testing repos or ti's only on your website, if so, you should up to maemo's repos. спасибо =)

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
is it in extra-testing repos or ti's only on your website, if so, you should up to maemo's repos. спасибо =)
It's not ready for uploading in-to repos yet. When bare minimum of functionality (correct measurements, counter serialization, counter addition and removal) would be available I'll upload it in extras-devel.

I cant make it work so ill just wait until its in etras-testing. When I try to lauch it i get:
Nokia-N900-02-8:/home/user# ./bike
Unsupported date format character at 1 (%-d.%-m.)
./bike: symbol lookup error: ./bike: undefined symbol: _ZN7QmlViewC1EP7QWidget

Anyway. What I wish there should be:
Total kilometers and also Trip kilometers. Also some way to reset total. So you could reset it once a year or so.

And is it possible so you could and another mode. Like another Total kilometers so you could have 2 different excrcises. cycle and running.

That app looks excellent and Im really waiting for it.

I think this could actually be good running/cycling carrying case for n900. Its n900 compatibility.
http://europe.nokia.com/find-product...ng-case-cp-402

Last edited by lubabula; 2010-07-14 at 17:53.

I thought I'd share my experiences with making a bike mount for my n900.

I started off with this monstrosity from ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=120473810311
I'd never trust my phone in that, but wanted the clamp/tilting part of it.

Next up was this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=150448766031
It's actually black, not that brown color in their photographs, and holds the n900 snuggly.

Here's my starting point:

Next I dismantled both bits to get just the bike mount and n900 holder:

I was originally hoping these two parts would have the same size mounting clamps (it looked like it was possible in the ebay photos), but no such luck. So I did a bit of a hack job removing some of the clips and widening the holes in the other part:

Then these two bits were clipped together and a whole stack of glue used for more strength:

I deliberately attached the mount off-center so the phone will sit more-or-less in the middle of the handlebars. Here's what it looks like attached to my bike:

And finally with my n900 in place:

Now I've just got to wait for a sunny day to give it a real test!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zombiepig For This Useful Post: