Notices

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
I'm happy to announce that Hymns is now in Extras-devel.

Name:  Screenshot-20100714-091032.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  42.3 KB

What is it?

This is an extremely simple Qt app for those who like to sing and/or are LDS ("Mormons"). From the package description:
Viewer for hymns of the LDS church
For a little scattering sunshine on the go or an extra hymnbook in a pinch, Hymns aspires to be a simple finger-friendly interface to the PDF edition of the official hymns of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

It is based on Qt and Poppler and the PDF made available here: http://www.lds.org/cm/display/0,17631,7572-1,00.html, modified to remove hymns licensed from other sources. Ricky, developer of the iPhone viewer, provided the modified PDFs. Feel free to tip him for his work at http://www.ldshymnsapp.com
Note: this app is not a production of the LDS church (i.e. it's not "official").
I've been sitting on this one for months waiting for a problem with broken libraries in the repo to be resolved so it could make it through the autobuilder. In the interim, PR1.2 and/or some buffoonery on my part managed to break building the app even in my scratchbox SDK. When i thought i finally had both problems licked, the new version stopped rendering PDFs properly. Fortunately it turned out to only be a corrupted data package. So finally, in the spirit of "release early, release often," i bring you the alpha version--before something else goes wrong.

Known problems:
  • Currently only displays first page of multi-page hymns
  • No full screen and portrait mode yet

In spite of limitations, it's come in handy in the months i've had it on my N900.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-07-14 at 14:03.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
Great idea I must say. Do you have to be a Mormon to use it though? Can you import Christian Hymns into it? It would be very useful to me if it did..
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

The Following User Says Thank You to cardiff-blues For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cardiff-blues View Post
Great idea I must say. Do you have to be a Mormon to use it though? Can you import Christian Hymns into it? It would be very useful to me if it did..
Thanks. As i mentioned, it's really a very simple, single-purpose app: it's basically a PDF viewer with a hand-prepared set of PDFs. It could be modified to make a similar app with any hymnal available in PDF format. Most of the work is in chopping the hymnal into individual PDFs per hymn and cropping (and i ended up getting these from the iPhone app maker rather than reinvent that wheel). If the original hymnal is available with a table of contents that links to each hymn, just using a normal PDF reader would be almost the same thing.

If someone prepares another hymnal PDF, i will help adapting the code to the purpose. Keep in mind copyright restrictions. In this case, a provision is made by the holder for distributing the hymns for incidental, noncommercial use, which i believe covers this app in Extras-*. I'm not sure what restrictions are placed on other hymnals.

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Thanks. As i mentioned, it's really a very simple, single-purpose app: it's basically a PDF viewer with a hand-prepared set of PDFs. It could be modified to make a similar app with any hymnal available in PDF format.
I would be interested in the creation of a more generic version with Hymns. Obviously a version that would allow anyone to import whatever Hymns they wanted with no religious restrictions would have a wider audience.

I hadn't thought about this sort of app before but now you have mentioned it this would be pretty valuable for me as I have to select hymns for services sometimes at the last minute so this sort of thing would be great. Or just to be able to praise God through a hymn wherever I am. Cool!
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

Flandry awesome stuff. Do you know if there is any scriptures or LDS manual support coming down the line. At the site pretty much EVERYTHING BUT maemo already has a native player.

On my PDA a while back I used YancyWare and it was awesome, you could hightlight, annotate, bookmark, etc.

Thanks for this!

2d

Originally Posted by 2disbetter View Post
Flandry awesome stuff. Do you know if there is any scriptures or LDS manual support coming down the line. At the site pretty much EVERYTHING BUT maemo already has a native player.

On my PDA a while back I used YancyWare and it was awesome, you could hightlight, annotate, bookmark, etc.

Thanks for this!

2d
The plucker versions of the manuals and other media here work in FBReader.

The audio editions of the scriptures and conference talks can be downloaded and listened to in nQa Audiobook Player, or streamed. There are several ways of tuning into streams.
Name:  Screenshot-20100714-084044.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  21.5 KB
Katana is a nice little Bible reader--presently it's just that (a Bible reader, not a Bible study tool). For the other Standard Works, there's the Web Edition if you have a data plan or wifi. I don't have a data plan and don't like waiting for page downloads, so i have used a script to pull down a full copy, strip out the cross links and references, and reformat for a small screen. I have bookmarks to this local copy in MyDocs in MicroB (i keep them on my desktop so i can just pop open to the place i was at), and it works fine to read scriptures this way. Navigating between books isn't the easiest, though.
Name:  Screenshot-20100714-091726.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  59.7 KB
Studying is a different matter, though. There's no ebook reader on the N900 that can do useful annotations (not considering PDF as an ebook format). SWORD, which is used as the engine for Katana, has a lot of potential, but is currently not really able to handle other books with the degree of control it does Bible translations, and in Katana only provides the text so far, no commentaries or concordance or anything.

Rant mode
The problem with Yanceyware and the other half-dozen boom-and-bust LDS-specific scripture readers is that they all used their own proprietary formats. To make matters worse, a couple of them were temporarily adopted by church media as supported formats, only to be dropped later due to changing device landscape and discontinued software (and internal policy changes, no doubt). Thus, we're left, after over 10 years of PDA scripture readers, with almost no progress toward a single, multiplatform, robust reader. What a lot of wasted effort...

The recent release of official apps for Android, WinCE, and iPhone was a surprise, but i'm not really that optimistic it's going to amount to anything different in the long run--this isn't the first episode of this i've seen or my only experience with church IT--and it doesn't help for those not in mainstream OSes. I haven't had time to look at feedback to see what the apps are like, but it's definitely a nice option for many people where there may have been none before.

Annotations in a reader are only useful if the reader (and annotations with it) doesn't disappear after a year or two or four. This is why all those commercial proprietary readers over the years really peeve me (not to mention in some cases IMO violated the copyrights of the church) and i've actually not patronized any of them. Plucker format has been supported consistently since PalmOS in about 1999 and whatever PDA i've carried since, but still the annotations, not being part of the format, did not fare so well.

I guess that's all to say that annotations and highlighting and anything besides basic reading capability are all but pointless on mobiles unless it uses an open, common format that is likely to survive that single app and platform.

No pent-up frustration over past abandoned annotations here; no sir.

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-07-14 at 14:50. Reason: Screenshots

Flandry, I understand your frustration having suffered some of that myself. I was using a large pdf file before as a means to read the scriptures, but it took forever to load, and I found that not knowing the exact page you wanted to go to, it would take FOREVER to get there.

Heres to hoping their IT staff will give us a linux version that can be retooled for arm and the Maemo environment.

2d

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX

Thanks for this!

2d
I've volunteered to work on some apps. A Mormon Channel app has been finished and awaiting them releasing it for over a month now. I'm tempted to strip trademark and copyrighted material from it and going ahead and releasing.

I am also interested in other apps. Mobile Member seems like a bad idea when you can integrate with the system . The current system does not seem like you can easily provide new contact backends and I would have to go with syncing. Qt has/will have a contact manager system that I could plug an engine into for ward lists but unfortunately it doesn't look like it'll be supported on Meego for a while. I'm unsure what it would take for an extra calendar backend but sync is always an option. I can't remember what other features it has that would be interesting.

As for scriptures I am mixed about whether to write a stand alone app or adding it as a backend to Katana.

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
The plucker versions of the manuals and other media here work in FBReader.

The audio editions of the scriptures and conference talks can be downloaded and listened to in nQa Audiobook Player, or streamed. There are several ways of tuning into streams.
Attachment 12078
Katana is a nice little Bible reader--presently it's just that (a Bible reader, not a Bible study tool). For the other Standard Works, there's the Web Edition if you have a data plan or wifi. I have used a script to pull down a copy, strip out the cross links and references, and reformat for a small screen. I have bookmarks to this local copy in MyDocs in MicroB (i keep them on my desktop so i can just pop open to the place i was at), and it works fine to read scriptures this way. Navigating between books isn't the easiest, though.
Attachment 12077
Studying is a different matter, though. There's no ebook reader on the N900 that can do useful annotations (not considering PDF as an ebook format). SWORD, which is used as the engine for Katana, has a lot of potential, but is currently not really able to handle other books with the degree of control it does Bible translations, and in Katana only provides the text so far, no commentaries or concordance or anything.

Rant mode
The problem with Yanceyware and the other half-dozen boom-and-bust LDS-specific scripture readers is that they all used their own proprietary formats. To make matters worse, a couple of them were temporarily adopted by church media as supported formats, only to be dropped later due to changing device landscape and discontinued software (and internal policy changes, no doubt). Thus, we're left, after over 10 years of PDA scripture readers, with almost no progress toward a single, multiplatform, robust reader. What a lot of wasted effort...

The recent release of official apps for Android, WinCE, and iPhone was a surprise, but i'm not really that optimistic it's going to amount to anything different in the long run--this isn't the first episode of this i've seen or my only experience with church IT--and it doesn't help for those not in mainstream OSes. I haven't had time to look at feedback to see what the apps are like, but it's definitely a nice option for many people where there may have been none before.

Annotations in a reader are only useful if the reader (and annotations with it) doesn't disappear after a year or two or four. This is why all those commercial proprietary readers over the years really peeve me (not to mention in some cases IMO violated the copyrights of the church) and i've actually not patronized any of them. Plucker format has been supported consistently since PalmOS in about 1999 and whatever PDA i've carried since, but still the annotations, not being part of the format, did not fare so well.

I guess that's all to say that annotations and highlighting and anything besides basic reading capability are all but pointless on mobiles unless it uses an open, common format that is likely to survive that single app and platform.

No pent-up frustration over past abandoned annotations here; no sir.
When I was a Palm user I just used Plucker to read them anywhere and didn't invest my notes or other things into a platform I would lose them in. If we created a study platofrm the nice thing is we have access to the file format and can translate it for format changes.

I'm a bit more hopeful with the Church taking a stance of providing a web API and allowing people to create apps at their pleasure. I would prefer they would provide stock HTML5 apps for everything as that would work on all platforms and provide most of the basic functionality available.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Flandry, I understand your frustration having suffered some of that myself. I was using a large pdf file before as a means to read the scriptures, but it took forever to load, and I found that not knowing the exact page you wanted to go to, it would take FOREVER to get there.

Heres to hoping their IT staff will give us a linux version that can be retooled for arm and the Maemo environment.

2d
Nope. The mobile apps are community-developed from the ground up.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descalzo For This Useful Post:
epage, while I'm sure it being officially released would be great, but also would be nice to get the mormon channel already. I've been trying to get that streaming for quite some time now. No dice of course.

I imagine Katana with a backend would be easier to work on. Of course if you want to do the whole shi-bang and incorporate a annotation, notes, and highlighting option, I would be whole hardly eagerly anticipating it's completion.

I've thought about working on one myself, but just don't have enough time.

At any rate, thanks for your contributions thus far!

2d