Active Topics

Poll: If feature-complete/comparable OS choices were available today, which one would you use on your N900
Poll Options
If feature-complete/comparable OS choices were available today, which one would you use on your N900

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Somebody decided that it would be funny to design the Ubuntu Lucid (and newer) Arm version to run only on the Arm A8 with Thumb2 instruction set. The problem is that the N900, one of the only Arm A8 devices in general distribution, has a buggy Thumb2 implementation. This means that Ubuntu versions higher than Karmic are unstable and crash-prone on the N900.:
First of all - I work for Canonical and I work on toolchain in Linaro project. OMAP3 is one of supported platforms in Lucid and Maverick. I use Maverick on BeagleBoard daily and no issues found. Maybe N900 needs kernel update from 2.6.28-maemo to something more recent - maybe MeeGo one.

And VFP is on by default.
Code:
$ arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.5.1/lto-wrapper
Target: arm-linux-gnueabi
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Ubuntu 4.5.0-7ubuntu1' --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.5/README.Bugs --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++ --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --enable-multiarch --enable-linker-build-id --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/arm-linux-gnueabi/include/c++/4.5.1 --program-suffix=-4.5 --enable-nls --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-libstdcxx-time=yes --enable-plugin --enable-objc-gc --disable-sjlj-exceptions --with-arch=armv7-a --with-float=softfp --with-fpu=vfpv3-d16 --with-mode=thumb --disable-werror --enable-checking=yes --program-prefix=arm-linux-gnueabi- --includedir=/usr/arm-linux-gnueabi/include --with-headers=/usr/arm-linux-gnueabi/include --with-libs=/usr/arm-linux-gnueabi/lib --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-linux-gnu --target=arm-linux-gnueabi
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.5.1 20100625 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.5.0-7ubuntu1)
We do not use NEON optimisations because not every ARMv7 cpu supports them (Nvidia, Marvell).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hrw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Russia,Moscow
I feel very satisfied with maemo5 right now. I have all I wanted - cute UI(consider it to be very good-looking,very polished and finger-friendly),apps I wanted and needed and so on.

MeeGo or NITDroid would be interesting for me only when they are the same stable as maemo for me and have applications I need.Until then I will use maemo5

All I need is a dualboot: Fully working Android + Debian or Ubuntu

Originally Posted by qwenjis View Post
I feel very satisfied with maemo5 right now. I have all I wanted - cute UI(consider it to be very good-looking,very polished and finger-friendly),apps I wanted and needed and so on.

MeeGo or NITDroid would be interesting for me only when they are the same stable as maemo for me and have applications I need.Until then I will use maemo5
I feel the same way.

It's heart-breaking, to me, that Nokia is abandoning Maemo. To me, the UI is essentially perfect, with the exception of its visual effects.

It could use VSYNC, smoother scrolling, and a few minor tweaks to the springyness.. maybe expand the widget capabilities (ie. sizing).. but other than that, its task manager is outstanding. App manager outstanding. Windowing system.. outstanding.

I only hope the people who designed Maemo are still present and working on Meego. It will be a crying shame if they produce yet another idiotic iphone knockoff.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nightfire For This Useful Post: