Active Topics

Interestingly enough, the stock went up today (9.21 right now), probably because the news was expected.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Before buying more NOK.. the question is... can you imagine them doing any 'worse' than they are right now?
If you were asking me... yes, I can see much worse. The transition of a possible new CEO that might cancel some of the foundation building that's going on right now would create another 2+ years of building something else or going in a possibly unpopular direction.

I'm honestly expecting the stock to hit about where some of the other European speculators have placed it, around 5 Euro before bouncing back. It dips that low, I'm investing based on that and what is forecasted by the company as a direction.

Bad thing... we're talking about a company that is selling millions upon millions of phones. Not a dead, not shipping anything type of company. I rag on Nokia constantly, but even I can value their patent portfolio as well as what they're putting down right now as their new foundation - MeeGo, Symbian, et al.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Nokia would have bigger user appeal if they had more apps for their smartphones. Like it or not, apps now sell phones. That's the crazy sort of messed up world we live in.
So, why do Apple win here? They put a lot of time and money into a very comfortable dev environment with an SDK that works properly from beginning to end and all the resources in one simple place.
Android = Java. That's not changing much and Google are supporting their devs like crazy.
Nokia's SDK is a mess. The community places help and resources everywhere which is great for community devs but not for a commercial developer to spend the time (£) looking around for. Packaging things for Maemo seems to be a bit of a performance. And where's it all going? For the N900, not anywhere good. For the first MeeGo devices? Who knows as yet?
Confidence in Nokia should be highest in a forum like this (where the geeks and early-adopters live). Sadly, it is not a happy place most of the time. Problem is, confidence from the consumer brings confidence from the company. That brings confidence from the Markets. This problem is structural.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Here's another perspective for 'apps':

Apps are bite-sized fixes and extensions to a platform. The more deficiencies that platform has, the more holes that apps can fill up; thus giving opportunities to more 3rd parties. These 3rd parties will most definitely actively market their goods AND said platform. Imagine how much additional marketing and buzz that those 3rd party can generate....

That's part of the wave that a good app market can generate.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
They really need to succeed with MeeGo to get back to the pole position, where they belong to be
Gonna get the N9 immediately when it comes out.

engadget is bought by apple xD

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Turkishflavor View Post
engadget is bought by apple xD
C-C-C-C-C-Combo Breaker!!

It was going rather well for a moment there, wasn't it?