Active Topics

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
I'm finding my images are coming out excessively grainy. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with fCamera or the API, it's more than likely the way I'm using it. Not done any serious tinkering with photography for years.

The potential for close ups is phenomenal, as these two images show:

Image with N900 default cam.

Image with fCamera.

Both images were taken at a distance of around 5cm from the subject.

Anyone have any ideas?
The graininess comes with the low light conditions. Try with more light (day)

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Crugath View Post
1.4MB image http://www.the-buccaneer.co.uk/image...1279914739.jpg Nice looking thistle in our garden, it's at least 6ft tall!!
Nice bokeh.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by abadams View Post
We're not doing anything magic in software. Our post-processing pipeline is fairly simple and standard (it has to be to run fast on the device). No idea why the built-in camera app doesn't look better. Next on the todo list is to calibrate for the vignetting, so you don't get that slight color shift at the corners.
Presumably FCam is using only the ARM core for it's processing, which may explain why processing such as hrdcapture and lowlight can place quite a load on the processor and consume considerable battery... is there any scope (or even plans?) to use some of the other hardware on the N900 SoC such as IVA2, DSP etc that may improve performance? And is FCam taking advantage of the NEON multimedia extensions?

It's early days I know but just wondering how the processing performance may be improved in future as some of it is quite intensive!

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by fms View Post
Nice explanation. Does not take into account the fact that most real-life shots are not made on macro.
well, it is presumed that oneself knows how many macro pictures he takes and how many other pictures..

of course outside macro everything else goes like the bigger the sensor the better.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
I have tried to open the dng images with some linux applications from ubuntu repositories.
Ufraw crashes on any dmg.
Rawstudio shows a blurred, red image of something and can't convert it in anything useful with any button or control.

Can you suggest me the right tool? Thanks

EDIT: no image tool on ubuntu repos could open those files. Neither gimp, which outputs some interesting messages:

/home/debernardis/Immagini/photo2010.06.24_15.00.19.10.dng: Can not read TIFF directory count

/home/debernardis/Immagini/photo2010.06.24_15.00.19.10.dng: Failed to read directory at offset 0

before stating that the rawphoto plugin can't open the image.
try with adobes products

http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
try with adobes products

Unfortunately I wasn't able to install Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 with Wine on my ubuntu box - and believe me or not I have no windows machine. Trying with a virtualized xp...

As they mentioned above dcraw (on which many opensource and some comervial RAW converters are based) can't open the DNG files.
http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/

Seems like a great program though! Keenly awaiting new releases.
Can we have an option to keep the vignetting and other optical artifacts if anyone ever tried to process them out?
They are quite a novelty

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
try with adobes products

Does anyone else think it's kinda silly that this amazing open source, collaborative industry/academic, revolutionary camera project that was first released on a linux phone only supports a raw format that proprietary ($@%#) Adobe windows software can handle?

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
OK, I guess now that the problem in decoding the dng images might stem by the fact that I'm using the drivers that Titan uploaded on his site, which are from the 1.0.5-1 version, while they have been updated by the fcam developers to the 1.0.5-2 because of a bug.

So, please, someone with the newest 1.0.5-2 version (i.e. not using Titan's kernel) can check if the dng files can be opened by ufraw or rawstudio on ubuntu? Thanks

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
of course outside macro everything else goes like the bigger the sensor the better.
On the other end of the range, you're back to small sensors again - tele is much easier with small(er-pixeled) sensors. Obviously, since the lens on the N900 is not interchangeable that application area is rather limited (unless, you have a microstage and a silly urge to mount the N900 at the end of a telescope and point it at the moon or critters in the back yard). I look very much forward to playing with fcamera in my astro-hacks. Just sayin'.