Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
can android be used without a pointing device? (read: touchscreen)
yes first demo phone had no touch screen

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to superg05 For This Useful Post:
Well essentially whats keeping Nokia from adopting Android is the fact that Nokia wouldn't be able to make money form the software of the devices. On Symbian many people use Nokia services such as ovi store, ovi mail, Ovi Maps, Nokia music and other services. On Android services Nokia makes money from such as ovi Store and Nokia music Nokia would be unable to make from because Google makes money from Android Market, also includes Google Maps with ovi maps, and Amazon mp3's come preloaded. Also much money has been invested into developing MeeGo. So it is really a matter of Nokia wanting to make money from software services.

Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
Agreed.

Disagree. Android is really not Linux, and certainly not a Linux distro. It's only a much-modified linux kernel supporting a Davlik VM.

It has helped some to increase public awareness that there's a thing called Linux. But not much, since most Android users still don't know Linux is in there at all. Betcha if you asked 10 Android users what Linux is at least 9 would have no clue.

If MeeGo succeeds, it will change that because it really is Linux, as in a real Linux distro.
read this and the comments then get back to me
http://torvalds-family.blogspot.com/...py-camper.html

The Following User Says Thank You to superg05 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by superg05 View Post
Eh, Torvalds likes it. So what.

I prefer not being kept in a nice, shiny Java sandbox away from the hardware I own. I mean, it's GREAT if you're Google, because then you have total control over the direction the platform takes.

TiVo is+Linux in that case.

Connotation vs dennotation.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by barzam View Post
Well tbh a standard Linux distro is loaded with quality productivity applications, not so much fart apps and 3d games which the masses somehow seem to like. Debian has around 20k applications in the repositories.
thats nice but unless your gonna port them all your argument is void and android has 70,000 so......

Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
can android run easy debian? if so I really don't care of they go with android.
its can run Debian since the g1 years

The Following User Says Thank You to superg05 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Eh, Torvalds likes it. So what.

I prefer not being kept in a nice, shiny Java sandbox away from the hardware I own. I mean, it's GREAT if you're Google, because then you have total control over the direction the platform takes.
I think it is time Nokia jumps on the Android bandwagon. Java is a very common tool used for developing mobile applications that is why it is used. Besides while Android does have its limitations it is more open the Symbian, iOs, Windows Phone 7, and Bada os. Besides just because Android isn't full Linux doesn't mean it isn't open. Linux isn't the be all end all of openness. What has crippled Android isn't programing (80,000 apps in Android appstore) but rather manufacturers and carriers imposing restrictions trying to make the platform closed and trying prevent people from uninstalling manufacturer skins and carrier crapware. Also rooting become harder example Motorola Droid x has a locked bootloader and Samsung Captivate prevents sideloading of nonmarket Android apps. So What Google would need to do is try to stop carriers and manufacturers from crippling the platform but that would be almost impossible.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
It may, but the fundamental issues we've had with Maemo wouldn't go away. Everyone would still be complaining about a lack of post-purchase support, which is where Nokia falls down.

Many hardware vendors are nervous about just that.

- Google is put in a position of power.
- They want to have some sort of uniqueness in their ecosystem.
- They also want to leverage Qt.

I don't see it happening, especially as long as Google has exclusive control over the OS.
not really have you ever heard of a little thing called ophone

Please read this, and then get back to me.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!