Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I'm starting this rumor now, because I sincerely think it's a good idea, and a possibility. I admit I'm crazy.

But think about it for a moment. After putting all its chips on maemo and renaming its site, the meego ship is sailing. Which makes more sense, keeping this site anchored to a dying technology, or broadening it to include discussion of all Internet Tablets, however one defines them?

The main page of InternetTabletTalk remains -- the way to keep this site alive into the future is to go back to that name. How long is Nokia going to be willing to fund a site dedicated to maemo? Maybe for quite a while, but not forever.

But a site devoted to all pocketable or near-pocketable devices that go on the Internet? That topic will never die. Hitching your star to a defunct product is just a death wish.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
I think it needs a shorter and more memorable URL than internettablettalk.com if it is to be renamed.

Would this include things such as the iPad/Kindle/Nook devices as well? I mean.. is there really any other "internet tables" in the way of N770/N8x0 that aren't "smartphones" now?

I would venture a "internetdevicestalk" instead... covering pretty much any device capable of connecting to the internet smaller than a netbook.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
I would venture something like pocketpad.com (but this is taken)

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
talk.maemo.org should change to talktablet.org.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I actually like how 'tablettalk.org' rolls off the tongue
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grog For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
that could work..

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Would this include things such as the iPad/Kindle/Nook devices as well? I mean.. is there really any other "internet tables" in the way of N770/N8x0 that aren't "smartphones" now?

I would venture a "internetdevicestalk" instead... covering pretty much any device capable of connecting to the internet smaller than a netbook.
I think the focus should return to enthusiasts towards pushing the device to do odd and interesting things.

But I can't imagine anyone would come join the site when there are specialized communities towards iPhone/iPad jailbreaking, rooting and ROMs for Android, etc..etc..

The neat thing about ITT was pushing the Maemo devices to do things beyond just the Internet. Like running KDE, Easy Debian, etc.. at least that's what it was for me.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I think the focus should return to enthusiasts towards pushing the device to do odd and interesting things.

But I can't imagine anyone would come join the site when there are specialized communities towards iPhone/iPad jailbreaking, rooting and ROMs for Android, etc..etc..

The neat thing about ITT was pushing the Maemo devices to do things beyond just the Internet. Like running KDE, Easy Debian, etc.. at least that's what it was for me.
Right, I just mean doing this for everything - not just Maemo.

But I guess it would be hard to compete with xda-dev's for Android and whatever the iSeries has.

The N770/N8x0 series get very little attention right now.. and the N900 will be that way after the next Harmattan and probably Full MeeGo devices hit the streets.. so it's not really a sustainable idea because even if we host it beyond what Nokia is willing pay for.. we aren't going to extend it's life much further, I don't think.

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Just a thought:

If ITT (or variant thereof) were resurrected, I think it might get back to the old feeling of the forums. I believe that most people would understand it's an enthusiast site if it is separate from Nokia/Maemo. This would likely reduce the amount of trolling/whining threads from where it is currently. You'd have fewer started, and fewer responded too.

Right now, I think many folks end up here thinking (at least initially) that this is an appropriate place to be for Nokia support / complaints. At first glance, one might assume talk.maemo.org is a corporate sponsored "official" Nokia site.

Being as Nokia has all but abandoned (IMHO) the Maemo product line, it might be nice to get back to a separate enthusiast site, that would still have some loose ties to maemo.org, but be clearly not Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post: