Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I can see your point, but what would be wrong with providing Ovi Maps in vanilla Meego, and then allow the manufacturers to do whatever they want. If they don't want Ovi Maps they can rip it out, not offer one to their consumers, or offer an alternative solution. If they decide not to take it out, manufacturers get the bonus of adding "comes with GPS navigation" to their sales pitch to help them compete with Android devices.

After you have the established foot hold you can then decide no longer to give away Ovi Maps for free or something.
I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't work that way - it would mean this is still thinked about as Nokia's version of Android. MeeGo does/should not include any components that would stain it's vendor neutrality (Qt governance is a hot topic because of exactly that reason) in order to be interesting for other vendors. Those who don't care about that are already in the Android camp and will be hard to turn just by offering a more-of-the-same (i.e. why would they care swapping out Google services for Ovi ones when they have zero benefit/control/influence over either ?). MeeGo gives them options - they can still license Ovi Maps, just as well as Flash and Skype and whatever they please (maybe even at no cost - at this point it's not about money, it's about establishing platform future).

Last edited by attila77; 2010-08-06 at 21:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Side note: I don't think I'm doing anything tonight.. I'll try and find you on IRC. If there's some way I can help with this I'd gladly do it. I would really like to see internet on MeeGo.. it would actually be somewhat usable at that point ... (well, Internet + a working terminal...)
I'm on #meego-arm - grab meego-handset-armv5tel-n900-nokia-proprietary-1.0.80.13.20100803.2 and tell me if your networks show up in wifi control panel.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
I'm on #meego-arm - grab meego-handset-armv5tel-n900-nokia-proprietary-1.0.80.13.20100803.2 and tell me if your networks show up in wifi control panel.
Well I can tell you from the KS build of the image I did from the 20100803 build last night.. they did not.

I will download and try the pre-built image tonight as well. If it still doesn't work I'll let you know, manually get my networking working again and get SSH installed on it, then try and help troubleshooting.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Hey guys... Meego/Harmattan on N900 is still a long way to go, especially Harmattan we have seen nothing of it. So the near-term future of N900 still binds to Maemo 5.

Lots of people think Maemo 5 is abandoned.... yes, I agree to some degree, but atm Maemo 5 is still under development & maintenance. For example, if you look at the hildon-desktop and Modest git, you can figure out what to expect in PR1.3, i.e. better portrait handling for hildon-desktop, better performance and text selection (bug # 10390) for Modest. Besides, there will be full QT Mobility and maybe Qt WRT.

Of course, the usability improvements and the addition of dev tools are probably not what people want in that none of the frequent complaints (portrait support, more app, crappy OVI anything, flash10.1, vsync) are directly solved. But by giving Maemo5 the QT toolkits, even if Maemo5 will never have full portrait support, at least we will have a more usable M5 and more apps are definitely coming with the help of S^3/4 and Meego promoting the proliferation of QT apps.

Of course, Nokia could treat their early adapters nicer by throwing us things like flash10.1 and vsync support to show us their love. But oh well (though I hope after Meego/Harmattan becomes more stable, we'll see community backport to M5...)

The Following User Says Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
Hey guys... Meego/Harmattan on N900 is still a long way to go, especially Harmattan we have seen nothing of it. So the near-term future of N900 still binds to Maemo 5.

Lots of people think Maemo 5 is abandoned.... yes, I agree to some degree, but atm Maemo 5 is still under development & maintenance. For example, if you look at the hildon-desktop and Modest git, you can figure out what to expect in PR1.3, i.e. better portrait handling for hildon-desktop, better performance and text selection (bug # 10390) for Modest. Besides, there will be full QT Mobility and maybe Qt WRT.
If you read the context of this thread you will soon realise that Maemo is going to die out soon and yes it is a shame but that is the way the cookie crumbles.

Oh boy i am sure glad i started this thread as a hell of a lot has and will come out for us all to read.

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Stockholm, Sweden
To be honest, I regret spending 550 euros on this device. I should've bought the iPhone 3GS or Nexus One or waited and gotten the iPhone 4. I don't want to sound like a troll but there is nothing else I can do. This phone has little resale value so giving it up and getting another phone is not an option.

It was my mistake though. I should've tested the device first-hand and investigated more fully before making a decision but I still feel cheated on by Nokia. Its priced at a premium and if you look at it on paper, it sounds amazing. It had all the features I needed but I didn't know they'd be done so badly.

I expected the Maps application to be as usable as those on iPhone and Android. I just assumed it. I expected the E-mail application to be as functional as its iPhone and Android counterparts (or even earlier Nokia phones).

I, for one, don't see a decent future for this device. The flaws will remain for a long time and I don't see anything improving the offering (NITDroid, Meego, etc.)

I know whining here is useless but I have to vent out somewhere! Can someone give me a link to the N900 Forums on Nokia's website?

Last edited by shanrizvi; 2010-08-09 at 13:07.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shanrizvi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
It's rumor time again (bash me for spreading it if you want)... so it looks like the next PR release is being prepared and rumor says not too far away.

// Start of rumor

The rumor says the release will include QT4.7 & Meego dual-boot, but doesn't mention any other major feature (rumor says there will be minor update to OVI map but any sensible person should know by now OVI map on M5 is a helpless deadend.)

// End of rumor

Several Nokians have confirmed M5 is pretty much in maintenance mode now. The M5 journey is shorter than most of us would like to see, but let's enjoy it while it lasts....

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ NanJing China
Originally Posted by jd4200 View Post
How is he trolling?
He's p*ssed and has the right to be, understand that.

'Almost certainly' is not good enough, nor is community supported, though this is a great community, they shouldn't be doing Nokia's work for them.
On top of that, developers from this community are leaving, slowly, but still.
read the whole thread in that link
leaving?why ?

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by pursueky View Post
leaving?why ?
No idea, ask Nokia.

Tags
crippled-os, get lost, n900nogo, yeah sure