Active Topics

So its because of the N900? Hopefully fixable in the next PR

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by smoothc View Post
So its because of the N900? Hopefully fixable in the next PR
It won't be fixed. Because modest, the program used for email on the N900, has IMAP IDLE disabled, for good reasons I suppose (battery impact?). And Nokia won't tinker with modest, the modest-guys have to tinker with modest. And they won't tinker with it. So no tinkering, means no fixing. And without IMAP IDLE, there is no "generic push mail" only the solution offered with Nokia Messaging (which I suppose is mobile-usage-optimised). But speaking of that: why don't you use Nokia Messaging? Work's ok with my Gmail account here.

Speaking of the iPhone: I'm not quite sure if the iPhone really uses IMAP IDLE for Gmail, I'm rather suspecting the iPhone to do exactly the same what Nokia Messaging does on the N900, it just doesn't let the user know it's using Apple's servers instead of a direct connection to Google. But that's only an assumption on my side which, looking at Apple's business practices and the-user-is-dumb-approach, looks fairly reasonable.

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
Didn't it take Apple a year or two to add IMAP idle to the iPhone?

Anyway, just use Nokia Messaging to connect gmail to your phone, as mentioned above. It works very quickly, and has other advantages. e.g. you can set it to not disturb you at night. (regular IMAP on n900 lacks that too)

My problem is the lack of proper contacts/calendar sync to gmail. And that is google's fault really, for using Exchange.

The Following User Says Thank You to myk For This Useful Post:
My google calendar/contacts sync worked great! -well before the latest firmware at least.

Yes, Nokia Messaging is probably the best solution at the moment. I've always got the slight worry that Nokia might simply turn it off or start charging for it one day though.

Originally Posted by myk View Post
My problem is the lack of proper contacts/calendar sync to gmail. And that is google's fault really, for using Exchange.
Nuevasync, works excellent. I'm even using it to sync to a Google-Apps account (hosted Gmail)...!

The Following User Says Thank You to arkanoid For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Dobbs Ferry
@arkanoid I've had this exact problem, I've turned off all syncing and just use the web versions of google calendar and contacts. EXTREMELY annoying.

Where i live you have to pay to use Nokia Messaging, currently using a free trial month which expires today. And it does not work with all operators so when i change i will lose it.

I had the broken sync as well but only when syncing directly to m.google.com, never again with Nuevasync. It was fixed anyway after PR1.2.
I could reproduce it very easily: merge an MSN contact with a Google contact and then sync. Sync fails, not even a resync got it back working. Respectively, when the resync sometimes worked, it broke up merged contacts but not fully. It somehow left traces of the previous merge, so I could not ever remerge MSN and Google contacts again, it gave back some error à la Details alredy exist merge failed or so...

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Aperture Science, Inc.
Hej,

I too have a problem with Gmail and the N900 email client.

I have set up my gmail account as the only email account. About 500 mails in my inbox. I don't use imap-idle, nokia messaging or any of that fancy stuff; just plain, simple imap (+smtp for sending, I guess).

Email checking is totally broken on my N900.

No matter what updating interval I set, the N900 checks my inbox only about once or twice per day. Whenever I change network (from wlan to 3g or back), it checks it too. But after the initial connection attempt, it just doesn't update anymore, or just every few hours.

This is driving me mad. I have played around with the update settings, switched on every option there is. I set any interval; the n900 doesn't care.

Right now, the email app is open, sitting there idle. Last update was three hours ago (it's set to 15min). Updating manually works fine.

Are there any hidden settings or voodoo rituals to make that email program automatically update its stupid emails? This is really ticking me off.