I made a video of my n900 running VCMI homm3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0w8LsDAx6I

It's pretty cool... but no quick fight?

EDIT:
"vcmi" doesnt work :s
Write:
Code:
vcmiclient

Last edited by Magik; 2010-08-22 at 18:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to Magik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Germany
Initial Note:
VCMI is not designed to work for resolutions below 800x600 (like the N900's 800x480), because HOMM3 was neither. So running VCMI on the N900 is considered a hack and far from stable or playable. If you feel like you want to help improving this, have a look at the side-notes below.

Current issues:
  • VCMI is not installable from apt-get, as it fails due to a preinst-script (script is supposed to tell user about third party dependencies).
  • VCMI is currently not working if ran from the Hildon icon. Run VCMI from command line only!

Installation Instructions:

If your installation was successful from the Hildond Application Manager (HAM), you may continue with step #3. Otherwise continue below. (You have to install from the Application Manager)

- First open up a xterm from your application menu (X Terminal). Get root access ("sudo gainroot" or just "root")
- If upgrading from a previous version, remove vcmi:
Code:
# apt-get remove vcmi vcmi-bin vcmi-data
1. Install VCMI from the extras/devel repository with apt-get:
Code:
# apt-get update
# apt-get install vcmi
2. If you already had VCMI running before, you're done and should be able to run VCMI (vcmiclient). If this is your first setup, continue with step #3.
3. Install HOMM3 Complete (all addons) on Windows (or Wine).
4. Install WOG on the same machine.
5. Copy the following directories from the Windows Heroes 3 to your VCMI installation (/opt/vcmi/):
  • HOMM3/Data/
  • HOMM3/Mp3/
  • HOMM3/Maps/
  • HOMM3/picsall/

You should now be able to run VCMI from the menu (new icon) or from xterm by typing "vcmiclient" and pressing enter. If you have a crash it's a good idea to run from xterm to see the error output and to be able to paste it here.

Some further notes:
  • On copying the Data directory from your Windows installation, there will already be a Data directory in /opt/vcmi/. Make sure the new Data directory is merged with the existing one. (The already existing one is from VCMI)
  • The files from the vcmi-data package are from the VCMI release, so it is not the binary data from your HOMM3 installation. (they are automatically installed to /opt/vcmi/Data/ as described above)
  • I can't help much on installing Heroes 3 and WOG. There should be plenty of sources regarding this in the wilderness of the Internet.
  • To get some information about crashes, you should start vcmi from xterm. To do so, simply type "vcmiclient" and hit the enter key, as the binary is in /usr/bin/.

All of you should take a look at http://wiki.vcmi.eu/index.php?title=TODO_list and check out what is working and what is not. VCMI is not really playable yet, but if people help it may be playable in a not too far future. Help them get it to work properly (check you my signature).
  • For questions regarding VCMI features, a timeline, new releases and the like, please visit the VCMI board and their Wiki.

Last edited by 0x47; 2011-03-06 at 22:57.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 0x47 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Um, can we get the bin package stripped and optified? Looks like one of the executables is 55MB and put in /usr/bin if my eyes are not deceiving me.
Yup.. same here.

The /usr/bin/vcmiclient and vcmiserver binaries need to be moved to opt and then symlinked to /usr/bin..

Same goes for the entire /usr/lib/vcmi/ directory. There's another 36.7M used on rootfs from there.

It's a rough total of 100M of rootfs used from this package.

I am also getting the ZELP.TXT error. I must be missing something.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Ah, missing the WoG files. Now it crashes when I go to start a single player.. I think thats expected though?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Poland, Białystok
Just download the WoG expansion. It's free.
It shoudn't crash. Did you copy "Maps" folder to /opt/vcmi?

Please ignore the currently new version, because I forgot to change all the paths in the vcmi-data and vcmi package. I'm optifying everything, which means the vcmi installation is located in /opt/maemo/usr/share/vcmi/ in future (instead of /opt/vcmi/). This is done by maemo-optify and I cba to do it manually...

BTW, I cannot get rid of this issue because there is no libsdl-ttf2.0-2-dev package available. This is a build dependency though... What to do?

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Magik View Post
I made a video of my n900 running VCMI homm3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0w8LsDAx6I

It's pretty cool... but no quick fight?

EDIT:

Write:
Code:
vcmiclient
Looks awesome, I can't wait for a stable version

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Portugal
Originally Posted by 0x47 View Post
Please ignore the currently new version, because I forgot to change all the paths in the vcmi-data and vcmi package. I'm optifying everything, which means the vcmi installation is located in /opt/maemo/usr/share/vcmi/ in future (instead of /opt/vcmi/). This is done by maemo-optify and I cba to do it manually...

BTW, I cannot get rid of this issue because there is no libsdl-ttf2.0-2-dev package available. This is a build dependency though... What to do?
What i did was :

First followed this post http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=56

And then installed this through xterm:

http://maemo.org/packages/package_in....9-1osso0+0m5/

and then it worked but had to uninstall some apps (mupen64plus,vulture eyes,numpty physics...)

Ps: i don't know if this helps . maybe not...

Last edited by SSLMM; 2010-08-22 at 23:16.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSLMM For This Useful Post:
Well, I managed to keep all the other applications by just ignoring the error. Done like the this:

# apt-get remove vcmi-bin vcmi-data vcmi
# apt-get update
# apt-get install vcmi

That way it's installed with some warning regarding the libsdl-ttf2.0 thing, but it's installed and works fine... Tried that?

Ok guys, I figured it doesn't work with maemo-optify, so I'll have to manually optify all files. I can't do it this night as I have to visit relatives tomorrow morning. Sorry, but I have to delay the new version until tomorrow evening.

The current version in extras/devel (0maemo4) works normally, but you'd have to put the H3 and WOG data files to /usr/share/vcmi/. This is not a good idea. Or put all files in /opt/maemo/usr/share/vcmi/, but symlink every single file to /usr/share/vcmi/. This is the problem which occurs if you use maemo-optify.

So please also ignore the changes to the linked post (install instructions) in my signature, I already changed it in believe it would work.
  • For questions regarding VCMI features, a timeline, new releases and the like, please visit the VCMI board and their Wiki.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 0x47 For This Useful Post:

Tags
fheroes2, homm