Notices

Any thoughts on whether the 3.0 version could/should be pushed to Testing?

I know some more features are wanted... but at some point I really should try and get this to "the public" ... a lot of people refuse to use the Devel repo's (probably rightly so...)
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Philadelphia, PA
I say push it to testing. This version seems to work better than the last one did on my N800 (Diablo + Community SSU).

The Following User Says Thank You to parejkoj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 38 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Philadelphia, PA
Looks like I spoke a bit to soon. The next button works now, but I've had it get stuck at the end of a song. I.e., it reaches the end of a song, stops but doesn't go on to the next song. Pressing next will send it on, but it won't always start playing the next song immediately.

Originally Posted by parejkoj View Post
Looks like I spoke a bit to soon. The next button works now, but I've had it get stuck at the end of a song. I.e., it reaches the end of a song, stops but doesn't go on to the next song. Pressing next will send it on, but it won't always start playing the next song immediately.
Does the graphic and artist/album change at all or does it just sit at the same graphic and 00:00 time?

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Any thoughts on whether the 3.0 version could/should be pushed to Testing?

I know some more features are wanted... but at some point I really should try and get this to "the public" ... a lot of people refuse to use the Devel repo's (probably rightly so...)
How do I tell what version I am using from within the app?

and,

I updated last night and seemed to loose the larger song description font. Did you revert or was this a HAM or repo fart?

I'm in the "this is so cool" mode and don't even notice the GUI much as I'm still amazed and intrigued by what and how, it do what it do.

While using it on the porch tonight some of my guests would inadvertently stop the music instead of advancing to next song as they expected.

Most are working on a Friday night buzz and are relying on impaired instinct. Perhaps the perfect focus group, eh?

What I gleaned from this group of knuckle heads was:

If your highlight scheme was reversed some would not have made this mistake. (Others are basically cave men in pants so it doesn't matter what you do. But, friends are friends first none the less. )

I realize you do this with the double bars that the play arrow points to however, this graphic is not one most expect to see. Perhaps changing play to just the arrow and Grey it down while pyRadio is playing or even making it red would help. I say red because when pushed it actually stops the music.
If it was a green arrow while pyRadio was stopped they would know that pushing it will make noise come out of the round holes in those square boxes again (grunt, grunt).

Also, the consensus among the brighter folks is that the advance song button graphic should be an arrow followed by a single bar as this is what most expect to see. This graphic could be green while pyRadio is playing because after the playlist is advanced, music continues.

More testers certainly would help in finding the most/best use of graphics. Hopeful all realize that this app is connection dependent and will check the quality of their connection before reporting perceived bugs.

For example, I originally came in to post about freeze ups that we began to experience all of a sudden. ,

Apparently either my WiFi router or even the dang broadband connection itself must have throttled back automagically because after I fired up my desktop browser and connected, pyRadio began to work flawlessly again.

For the rest of the night I have switched to 3G where pyRadio has worked all day for me without complaint while I was out and about .

Yeesh! Someone just killed the music again and that was the freakin' Kinks too.
Dang philistines...
j/k

Well, I'm going back to focusing on my own Friday night buzz..

Rock on dude, and enjoy your weekend too.
Attached Images

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-08-28 at 06:00. Reason: add images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Well that certainly sounds like you had a good night .

So, if I understand you correctly, you want the icons to show what they will do.. not what it's currently doing??

If the next arrow is lit all the time, then do I just have it flash off when you push it or is no animation necessary for the skip button?

I really kinda like those 2 buttons.. mind making them transparent (remove the green) and making me a matching Thumbs up/down with another for "tired"? They are a little smaller than mine so it might give us some more room if they still turn out to be finger-friendly.

ETA:

I haven't changed the font.. it still should be large time font and a little bigger album info font. There is no way to check inside the app.. but from a command line:
Code:
dpkg -l | grep pyradio
should tell you what you have.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Well that certainly sounds like you had a good night .

Yup, I'm on a mission.

So, if I understand you correctly, you want the icons to show what they will do.. not what it's currently doing??

I just lost a full page explaining my reasoning when I attached the files...

In a nutshell, yes

On paper it doesn't look right. However we often view the GUI from the code out while users "touch" the code from the outside in, savvy?

For most green means "go" and go means run.
Since the purpose of the app is to output sound the noise they are making is the indicator to the user that the app is running.

In fact, once the button is pushed they may not even look at the GUI again until they want to stop the noise momentarily. For most red means stop.

See if the attached files work for you. In the mean time I'm gonna grab a cold beer because...

Originally Posted by J Morrison
...the future's uncertain and the end is always near.
Attached Images

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-08-28 at 17:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
And these...

You have uploaded the maximum of 5 files
Attached Images

SLN member # 009

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Well, short answer is yes, they work . Well, once I fix the little transparency issue around the edges.

Long answer is they work and are MUCH smaller than the other ones which saves quite a bit of room, as you can see. The downside is I think it lowers finger usability a bit. I've managed to miss the next button a couple of times..

I do like the way they look, quite a bit (ignoring the border area), so I'm a little conflcted. Thoughts?

Also, love the pyRadio image.. is that meant to replace the music note as an app manager graphic?

Update:
Fixed the transparency.
Attached Images

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2010-08-28 at 21:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Oh I now see. You use the device themes background color for active and the apps background color for inactive. The green arrow I kept referring to in my previous posts was actually my themes background color then.

The play buttons are 64 x 64, the same as a hildon desktop icon. The vote and kill icons are 46 x 64. They all can be scaled to whatever size works for you if you want.

Visually the play icons could pro'ly go up some. In the attached image I bumped them 20% taller and changed the aspect ratio similar to the thumb icons.

By moving things around a bit I was able to increase the cover art and song title font also 20% with the same aspect ratio and kerning that you used,

The pyRadio image and any of these icons are now yours to do with as you wish and I will make any changes to them in the future that you might request.

BTW, the pyRadio icon uses a font, color, and border similar to the image you may be familiar with. However, I believe enough differences exist between the two that the pyRadio icon would be considered unique.

I didn't see the image before your edit. What was goofy about the transparency?
Attached Images

SLN member # 009

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:

Tags
bad tags, good tags, pyradio