Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by Slocan View Post
Did you check both the widget and the main app settings? Otherwise, although i've never seen that, it is possible the desktop has kept a ghost widget (didn't shut one down properly after upgrades), a reboot would clear that possibility.
Thanks Slocan, that was it. i did not realize the the widget also had auto update settings and that was what was causing it.

Thanks for the help.

The Following User Says Thank You to jer006 For This Useful Post:
Add the widget to your homescreen (once it has loaded for the first time, you can remove it).

I had fixed that in 0.8.0-6, but the fix got accidentally reverted in 0.8.0-7. I'll upload a fixed version as soon as possible (most likely tomorrow morning).
Thanks. Now it works.

Loving FeedingIt. Definitely most used app. Theres two minor niggles I have which, if sorted, would make FeedingIt absolutely perfect. Appologies if these are already fixed in dev versions, Im just running the version from extras.

1) Swiping left makes the article slide off to the right, and visa versa, ie swiping right makes the screen move left. Is it just me or does this seem reversed?

2) any chance of adding to the options for article retention time, ie 144h and 288h (or a 1 week option).

Again, many thanks for this awesome RSS reader, its one of the best ive used.

The Following User Says Thank You to jabawok For This Useful Post:
Posts: 324 | Thanked: 371 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver, BC
@jabawok: 1) it's been covered a few pages ago, they're more like gesture shortcuts (like draw an arrow towards the next article) than a swipe gesture as seems to be the current norm. This will change at some point.
2) I can add that as an option in next release

The Following User Says Thank You to Slocan For This Useful Post:
Is there a reason why it saves to /home/user/.feedingit instead of /home/user/MyDocs/.feedingit?

Just noticed that 40+ MBs of my 2 GB opt storage was being taken up by feeds.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The MyDocs folder has a tendency to get unmounted (when plugging the USB), and it's pretty standard to use the home folder for configuration and cache on linux systems.
But if you prefer it in the MyDocs folder, a simple symlink should work (I haven't tested it though):
mv /home/user/.feedingit /home/user/MyDocs
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/.feedingit /home/user/.feedingit

@jabawok: 1) it's been covered a few pages ago, they're more like gesture shortcuts (like draw an arrow towards the next article) than a swipe gesture as seems to be the current norm. This will change at some point.
2) I can add that as an option in next release
Brilliant! Thanks for the response, and might I add, well done for being so active in this thread, Its highly commendable.

The Following User Says Thank You to jabawok For This Useful Post:
Since a few weeks (I don't know precisely when, I'm updating almost every day) it seems that FeedingIt is getting much slower.
It seems that the CPU consumption is sky-rocketting during the whole update which make the whole process much slower.
Before that I could get an update in 30 s - 1 mn. Now it is more 3-4 mn.

Is it a way for me to debug this by putting a few 'print' somewhere ?

Originally Posted by SaintGermain View Post
Before that I could get an update in 30 s - 1 mn. Now it is more 3-4 mn.
If the main application is running, the update will happen 3 feeds at a time (which uses quite a bit of CPU, but should be fairly fast). If you update in the background (through command line, or through the widget), it will only do 1 feed at a time, and uses the "nice" command to stay low CPU priority.

Originally Posted by SaintGermain View Post
Is it a way for me to debug this by putting a few 'print' somewhere ?
In the file rss_sqlite.py, class Feed, function updateFeed is where all the action takes place (note that this runs as threads, so you might need to flush stdout if you want to see the messages when they're printed). If you need any help in troubleshooting, feel free to contact me by private message.

The MyDocs folder has a tendency to get unmounted (when plugging the USB), and it's pretty standard to use the home folder for configuration and cache on linux systems.
But if you prefer it in the MyDocs folder, a simple symlink should work (I haven't tested it though):
mv /home/user/.feedingit /home/user/MyDocs
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/.feedingit /home/user/.feedingit
Hmm when I tried I got a bunch of could not preserve ownership: operation not permitted. So I don't know if they were actually moved over.. (I know FAT 32 doesn't preserve ownership).

But anyway with everything installing to the /home/opt partition the 2 GB goes pretty quickly.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-09-04 at 20:54.