Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
hi
uhmm
can someone tell me how to create partitions using xterm?
i know how to to create 2 partitions *one for nitdroid/one usable by maemo*
but what im interested in is how to create 3 partitions
if someone can tell me how to use the commands *since im a linux noob *, i'd be glad

its an 8gb class 4 card and i need 1 partition for Nitdroid *i think its about 1500mb?* and another for about 3gig and rest for maemo
thank yous

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Do you need to resize an existing, possibly active, partition? Why not use Gparted on linux or a partitioner of choice on Win?

There is a CL prog called mkfs that is able to create partitions but it does not do resize operations. More info at the link below.

http://www.linfo.org/mkfs.html

Originally Posted by anthonie View Post
Do you need to resize an existing, possibly active, partition? Why not use Gparted on linux or a partitioner of choice on Win?

There is a CL prog called mkfs that is able to create partitions but it does not do resize operations. More info at the link below.

http://www.linfo.org/mkfs.html
i dont use linux on desktop
and nope.. create new ones..
can you name a partitioning tool for windows?

**i tried using windows xp setup *it can create partitions* but it wont lemme make more than one partition on a mmmc

How about booting a PC from the GParted Live CD and using that to partition your card?

Originally Posted by rich c View Post
How about booting a PC from the GParted Live CD and using that to partition your card?
like i said.. i'm a linux noob..
i could use the n900 itself
but i dont really know the function of any xterm commands except the REALLY basic ones

Originally Posted by fahadj2003 View Post
like i said.. i'm a linux noob..
i could use the n900 itself
but i dont really know the function of any xterm commands except the REALLY basic ones
Fear not, GParted is a GUI. The commonly circulated FUD that you have to use the command line to use Linux is just that. FUD. With any of the popular full blown desktop Linux distros, you use the command line becasue you want to not because you have to.

The Following User Says Thank You to rich c For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rich c View Post
Fear not, GParted is a GUI. The commonly circulated FUD that you have to use the command line to use Linux is just that. FUD. With any of the popular full blown desktop Linux distros, you use the command line becasue you want to not because you have to.
oww
well i'll give it a shot after i wake up
thanks

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
I would go and give the gParted Live CD a shot. It is extremely good and as a user of both Win and Linux systems, I'd say the Linux variant wins hands on when it comes to system maintenance. Should you, nevertheless, prefer to use Windows, than Partition Magic is pretty decent (where pretty is a keyword, as I have seen things go wrong with that).

That being said, there should be no reason to be afraid of the CL either. Common belief is that it is some kind of wizardry to work with it, but added to rich c's true statement above, I would say, that too is a matter of FUD. After all, you already own a N900. Might as well get both your legs in the water now

Take a cup of coffee after you wake up and before you do this thing though!

The Following User Says Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by anthonie View Post
I would go and give the gParted Live CD a shot. It is extremely good and as a user of both Win and Linux systems, I'd say the Linux variant wins hands on when it comes to system maintenance. Should you, nevertheless, prefer to use Windows, than Partition Magic is pretty decent (where pretty is a keyword, as I have seen things go wrong with that).

That being said, there should be no reason to be afraid of the CL either. Common belief is that it is some kind of wizardry to work with it, but added to rich c's true statement above, I would say, that too is a matter of FUD. After all, you already own a N900. Might as well get both your legs in the water now

Take a cup of coffee after you wake up and before you do this thing though!
actually im not a linux person coz the only reason i use my laptop for is games.. and most of them, or maybe all of em dont really work on linux