Is 3D-television possible with the n900?

You put your no[i]se on the middle of the device.
And you see to the left and to the right a separat picture of 400*480 pixeel

Wouldn't that work?

Last edited by gerdich; 2010-09-07 at 11:19.

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
I dunno if it's just my eyes, but i can't focus from that close, and by the way, it's "nose", "noise" is a type of sound not a body part

If you can have a video player that is fast enough, perhaps with one of those LCD shutter glasses controller by IR and a mirror you could synch the frames with IR signals from the IR emitter bouncing off the mirror into the shutter glasses

Last edited by TiagoTiago; 2010-09-06 at 21:15.

Posts: 220 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ england
you can watch the old rubbish red/blue glasses 3d. i have toystory 3 on my phone. its rubbish on a small screen

Yes! Excuse me! Nose instead of noise.

This was a little exageration, I am near-sighted (You can also add your flat hand between the display and the nose).

Perhaps you need a 1$ lens for each eye to direct each eye to the center of one half of the screen.

I wasn't speaking about the details but about the principles.

Can I get anywhere a 3D film splitted into two halfs for a 480*800 screen, to test it?

Last edited by gerdich; 2010-09-07 at 11:00.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
3d is bs. no use even trying to get it to n900.....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
Sorry mate, disagree - check out the Philips WoW VX TV and then tell me it's bs - maybe, wearing glasses as a pre-requisite to 3D can be construed as bs but the technology has come on in leaps and bounds, so much so that even I was impressed by the latest in 3D tech when I gave it a go, and I am the biggest sceptic and cynic about 3D being conveyed over a 2D screen... However, the WoW VX uses incredibly clever dual layer technology to add depth to individual pixels through an overlay of a mappable greyscale layer on top of the standard 1080p HD pixel layer, leading to individual depth of pixels, giving you "the effect of" proper 3D from a 2D screen, without the need for glasses.

However, agree with the comment about it being pointless on an N900. Daft IMO.

Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
Why do you say that for? Are you on about the old style 3D with the plastic glasses, or the new style?

I had never rated 3D before, and had never been able to 'see' it, that was until my girlfriend dragged me to see Alice in Wonderland at the cinema; I can't get enough of it now.

If 3D was possible on the N900 I don't think watching it on a screen so small would be beneficial, maybe if it could be hooked up to a 3D TV then it might be worthwhile, but I don't know much about this sort of technology.

The Following User Says Thank You to jd4200 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by gerdich View Post

You put your noise on the middle of the device.

Wouldn't that work?
Sure why not, you don't even need to keep it THAT close. You just need to convert your 3D videos to this 2x400x480 format and let them play, no problem. Or write a 3D app that will show the same setup from two slightly different angles. Has been on my to-do list to find out if VirtualDub or something could be used to easily convert movies, not that anyone would really want to watch >5 minute movies with eyes uncomfortably fixed on the screen. Might be interesting with some computer generated graphics, for example to see how some design would look like in 3D. Used to play with these when I was into 3D design but been a while since. N900's display is actually pretty perfect for this; lot's of resolution for this small space and much wider your eyes couldn't adjust to without major practicing.

Here's an extremely quick example of how it would look like, photos taken by hand too close with N900 so fuzzy and badly aligned but still possible to get some idea of the 3D effect:

That should be easy to see if you are used to watching SIRDS images, otherwise might be better to practice with them. For some it seems to be next to impossible to adjust eyes properly, for most it does take some minutes of practicing. I need to take glasses off to see them and start from ~15cm close, then draw further back when got a "lock" to the 3D image.

Last edited by x-rated; 2010-09-07 at 12:15. Reason: Bug fixing

The Following User Says Thank You to x-rated For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by gerdich View Post

You put your no[i]se on the middle of the device.

Wouldn't that work?
Yes, it would work. YouTube e.g. has some 3D clips available that can be viewed cross-eyed or straight-eyed. With some training of your eyes, you don't even have to put your nose onto the screen.
Btw, I watched YouTube 3D clips on the N900 already.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Here's an example of a YouTube 3D clip that can be viewed on the N900 without glasses.

Cross your eyes until you see three equally-spaced images. The center image will be in 3-D, and you can ignore the others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RFuRY7azgA

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post: