Hi All,

One of the aims of all of us having Maemo on our devices is that it gives integrated solution, unlike other OS having a app per feature..

I wonder then why we don't have a custom label for contacts by default Maemo provides just 7 different label for each contact namely cell, cell(Home), cell(office) phone, phone(Home), phone(office) and fax

Now imagine a real life scenario, I want to add details for one of my friend for eg. Lav 4. You (First name and Last name )

The contact details for him is as follows,

He has three office numbers for Mumbai, N.Y. and Paris,
Two personal cell phone Vodafone and Reliance number,
One office cell phone Blackberry,
He has two land line phones at his house,
Also I want to add his GF's and brothers number with his contact to make it integrated.

If I try to add this all in current contact management and call log system, will create a chaos.

Functionally there are two choices available
1st
To create new contact for each of these details with custom name along with supplementary information

2nd
As most of those details can be added using cell, cell(office) and phone(Home), without supplementary information and I cannot add his GF’s and brothers number as is no logical provision for it. Also there is no provision to include initials as there is no field to include middle name. While I want to make a call I need to remember each and every reference.

Situation becomes worse when it comes to call log management.
The current system only displays the First name, Last name and time-date information without any supplementary details. Now imagine I have two people in my contact book with same name.
This situation becomes helpless to get correct information from call logs.

So I suggest allowing user to create custom label for contacts and to display those custom labels along with different phone icon for office, cell, fax, home number etc.. And an user selection option to add other parameter information for display such as Nick, company Name etc... In call log.

My intention here is not to criticize Maemo but it’s to highlight the area for improvement.
Whats your view on this?

Regards,
Lav

Last edited by lav4you; 2010-09-11 at 08:05.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lav4you For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
I had a bunch of custom labels on my N73, when i got my N900 i transfered my contacts to it, also have them backuped with OVI suite, well, i messed up and had to resend the contacts back to the N73, at one point i found out the custom labels doesn't get saved

Perhaps its not allowed in the standard for exchanging "calling cards" or somthing?

Last edited by TiagoTiago; 2010-09-11 at 05:35.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Bangladesh
lav4you you are absolutely right. I have many contacts with more than 1 number and when i get a call from them, i does'nt even know from which number they are calling from. this is must be the worse in call log and should have solved

nobody interested strange

Posts: 561 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
Personally I think it is a very useful thing. I have appeared several times the need for something like that.

+1 Vote for.

does anyone know if the .vcf format for calling cards allow for this feature?

Last edited by TiagoTiago; 2010-09-22 at 04:56.

from what i read on https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/VCard it seems the standard doesn't provide for custom labels, but it is extensible (would involve an X- field and a way to associate that data to to the non custom labeled fields), if you do the required modification in the N900 it would be the first ever to be able to understand that type of data, no compatibility with any other device or program etc

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
This has been reported in bugzilla (and "moved" to brainstorm). See for example https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6444 and https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7195. I very much doubt this will be changed for Maemo now.

Looking at the MeeGo feature list for the Handset Contacts app at http://bugs.meego.com/buglist.cgi?cl...set%20Features, custom labels doesn't seem to be a feature for MeeGo either, although someone could add it there as a feature request.

Last edited by pelago; 2010-09-22 at 10:16.

This has been one of the frustrations I have had with the N900.

I live in the UK but most of my family are in Nigeria. When they come over to the UK they have a UK number. On my N95 I would label that UK number UK Mobile. If they have only one mobile in Nigeria I would label it Nigeria Mobile.

It is very common for people in Nigeria to have like 4 mobiles (one for each mobile phone operator). There is likely to be one it is easiest to reach a person on and I used to label that Mobile Main. For other numbers I could label it with the network name. If they have a blackberry I would label the blackberry number Blackberry. Now on N900 it is all a mess and I cannot really identify which numbers are which.

hello people please raise your voice for this don't you find it one of the very important function for you Maemo....