Active Topics

Poll: How much apps do you typically keep open on your N900?
Poll Options
How much apps do you typically keep open on your N900?

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
if performance and battery life weren't a concern i would have many more windows open

btw, about closing the poll, why not leave it open so the results can be improved over time?

The Following User Says Thank You to TiagoTiago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 30 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Florida
I use it to have 4 or 5 browser windows open. Might have my conversations and email open too with the browser windows. I also like to stream multitask, such as run ecoach download maps and stream libre.fm with vagalume at the same time. It runs ok, but always have a thirst for better performance!

The Following User Says Thank You to gonediscin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 561 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
I use between 7 and 12 applications usually when working with external keyboard and between 3 and 6 with the N900 without sitting.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
Your feedback is appreciated and taken into account in the MeeGo Marketing approach now and in the future.
I missed the poll... and I must say, it is very different. The most of the day I have only 2 applications open. But sometimes I use up to 12 applications...

But I have a small message for Peter@Maemo Marketing: the maemo multitasking is NOT the best and improvable!

I improved my N900 multitasking using 2 small modifications:
  • The application ShortCutD form Maemo extras to get [CTRL]+[BACKSPACE] at a Camera Button press.

Now I have a fast possibility to switch between 2 applications simply by pressing the camera button twice. This helps a lot when you have to add a calender entry and have to look back at the email with the appointment and many other user cases. It's fast as hell and can rival with my desktop computer!

I would love to see something like this at meego integrated. And the source for a maemo fix does already exists. A developer has only to integrate it to the official hildon-desktop to give this superb feature to all users.

Edit: Oh, I have to add a small comment:
I really MISS the possibility to playback a video in the background! (to check emails during watching a movie)

This worked at symbian just nice. At Maemo it is since PR1.1 impossible (only because of the graphical artefacts at other applications)

It would be nice to make the video playback in the background possible simply by disabling the video output and let only the audio playback running. (not easy but possible to integrate)

Edit 2:
And I would prefer seperated applications for Audio and Video playback. The usercase is very different and it is a pain and against the scope of multitasking to totally exit your actually playing music album to playback a short movie and to go back and search your music album again. 2 seperate applications would be distinctly better.

Last edited by Helmuth; 2010-09-10 at 21:09.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
For me
i always keep the Music player on ( i drive a lot ) so i hear my fav. music on the Radio ( using the FM Transmitter ) all the time.
and ofcourse the Phone app. and the Conv. app.

I feel the music player use lots of battery, and its kind of heavy
if nokia coiuld create a music player that play music without the need to lunch the Music player app. and to save some RAM and Battery
that would be great
ohh and the Phone App, if i didnt keep it running all the time
i feel when i get a phone call the phone will go slowly to start ringing and flipping the screen and all that.

and the phone does freez a lot
but still its my fav. phone ever

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
I missed the poll... and I must say, it is very different. The most of the day I have only 2 applications open. But sometimes I use up to 12 applications...

But I have a small message for Peter@Maemo Marketing: the maemo multitasking is NOT the best and improvable!

I improved my N900 multitasking using 2 small modifications:
  • The application ShortCutD form Maemo extras to get [CTRL]+[BACKSPACE] at a Camera Button press.

Now I have a fast possibility to switch between 2 applications simply by pressing the camera button twice.
Interesting. This doesn't work for me. When I hit Ctrl-Bksp once, it opens the multi-windowed view. Hitting Ctrl-Bksp again does nothing.

I do have Shortcutd installed. When I push half down on the camera button, I get to what I am calling the multiwindowed view. When I do it again, nothing happens -- in other words, the same thing that when I hit Ctrl-Bksp happens.

In Shortcutd I have Use the camera button checked and Camera focus short press action as Dashboard. Dashboard is the same thing I am calling multiwindowed view.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Interesting. This doesn't work for me. When I hit Ctrl-Bksp once, it opens the multi-windowed view. Hitting Ctrl-Bksp again does nothing.
You have to install both modifications. But be carefull with the first one. See this Brainstorm how it should work and see this post how to install it. But search and read at this forum first to follow the steps.

And I must admit, I'm currently not using Matan's latest version. I'm only using the first one that worked without problems at PR1.2, simply because I don't use the other features the modified hildon-desktop gives us.

Have 5+ apps always open. And all day to day stuff like web, emails, maps, chat etc...

The Following User Says Thank You to gibsonus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
why was the poll closed so fast? DOH!!

WTF why is the damn Poll closed!! this is n00b!

i use between 4 and 6 apps

Tags
multitasking, research, reserach, survey