Active Topics

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
That release will just be with the stock MeeGo Handset UX, not the Nokia Handset UX - the stock MeeGo Handset UX is pretty uninspiring.
Maybe.. but as long as everything on it works... we can make it inspiring.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Originally Posted by mohannad View Post
Cooool! Meego 1.1 for my birthday!
Great!! Now that I know your birthday, I am getting credit cards in your name...

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
All those damn probadly utrue rumors that make people think that it is nokias statements...

have people here ever tried the codedrops of meego for n900? its faaar from ready and probadly not in october. dont expect this as a replacement of maemo5 on n900.

yes it will come unofficial for n900 but it will probadly lack alot of core features.

ofcourse its great for geeks but not as a main os

but hopefully we soon get qtmobility "officially" on n900 that way we atleast "insync" with N8 and hopefully many apps on n8 will work on n900

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2010-09-13 at 21:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
I think if Nokia being a bit more clever and released this to all N900 before the release of the official N9 then it would be a WIN WIN.

Even they make it work for the N900, the N9 will sell like a hot cake if people who owned an N900 or anyone experience the beneficial of the new MeeGo. At the same time they will be able to do a free bugs testing by the community of people and report back any bugs found in the release and solve it in the final release of their new high end device.

It makes both parties happy. Both consumer and Developers can start working on the application on the release of N900 then get it ready for the MeegO N9. Even Nokia will benefiting from this.

But I don't think Nokia seeing this as an opportunity at all.

Posts: 597 | Thanked: 490 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
All those damn probadly utrue rumors
The source, wiki.meego.com, was mentioned several times in this thread.
Calling a release plan published by meego.com / The Linux Foundation a rumor? Sorry, canīt follow you here...

rumors that make people think that it is nokias statements...
The source, wiki.meego.com, was mentioned several times in this thread. How often do you think it is necessary to mention the SOURCE MEEGO.COM to make clear the source is NOT NOKIA?

have people here ever tried the codedrops of meego for n900? its faaar from ready and probadly not in october. dont expect this as a replacement of maemo5 on n900.

yes it will come unofficial for n900 but it will probadly lack alot of core features.
Why would meego.com / The Linux Foundation release an useless OS version labeled RTM / GA and totally destroy its reputation right from the start?

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Notebook version is already up to 1.03
http://meego.com/downloads/releases/updates

yet mobile version is still 1.01

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Ahh always one guy ready to see the turd in the punchbowl.

What you have to keep in mind is the interface is just one part of MeeGo. The underlying OS is the real key. If thats good then the UX is really just sugar coating.
I'm just saying what it will be, otherwise people might be disappointed. The MeeGo Handset UX is available now, it's not that interesting. If you want to play with it, download it now, no need to wait until the end of October. The MeeGo Handset UX isn't as good as that which comes with Fremantle, that's not a criticism, just stating the obvious to anyone that has tried the stock MeeGo UX and might be expecting something more on the basis of this announcement.

Anyone who wanted to to work with "the real key" - the OS - can do that now, today, but most people will be interested in the UI, hence my post. It's called expectation management.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2010-09-13 at 21:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Reflektorfalke View Post
Why would meego.com / The Linux Foundation release an useless OS version labeled RTM / GA and totally destroy its reputation right from the start?
I tihnk there is a misunderstanding here, stemming from the different focus of Maemo and MeeGo. The 'users' and 'members' MeeGo caters to are manufacturers, not individual end-users. In other words, it's RTM/GA for *those* target audiences. Think about it this way - when Linus or whoever releases the newest Linux kernel, how useful is it, on it's own, without integration into actual Linux distributions ? MeeGo is of course an OS, not just the kernel, but in a similar position - while not useless, pretty far from the 'experience' the end users will meet it in actual products using it.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 597 | Thanked: 490 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
I'm just saying what it will be, otherwise people might be disappointed. The MeeGo Handset UX is available now, it's not that interesting. If you want to play with it, download it now, no need to wait until the end of October. The MeeGo Handset UX isn't as good as that which comes with Fremantle, that's not a criticism, just stating the obvious to anyone that has tried the stock MeeGo UX and might be expecting something more on the basis of this announcement.

Anyone who wanted to to work with "the real key" - the OS - can do that now, today, but most people will be interested in the UI, hence my post. It's called expectation management.
It was mentioned a thousand times here on tmo and explained in every detail and with all consequences that there won`t be a official meego from Nokia for N900. Thus everyone here should know more or less what to expect...

But, the release date of a market ready version shows that the next steps are close, be it the N9, a community build meego for N900 or whatever...

Last edited by Reflektorfalke; 2010-09-13 at 21:48.

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Will it be possible to port the tablet version to the N900? I would like that!