Active Topics

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
I was under the assumption that Meego used to be called Moblin - which Intel were involved in?
Isn't MeeGo the result of Maemo and Moblin mating?

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by timoph View Post
I'm pretty sure they started at the same time since Meego is a joined effort and didn't exist before LF, Nokia, Intel & co. joined forces to create it.
meego is a mix of moblin (from Intel) and Maemo (from Nokia). dunno who was first with their distro though.

The Following User Says Thank You to robbie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
I was under the assumption that Meego used to be called Moblin - which Intel were involved in?
Yep. and MeeGo also used be to called Maemo...

Edit: AFAIK MeeGo base should be pretty much the same in all MeeGo devices (refer MeeGo compliance if you need to know more) but the UX layer is different in different devices. And if I've understood the plan correctly then at some point in time all the different UX layers should be Qt based (which is not the case yet).

Last edited by timoph; 2010-09-17 at 20:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Wasn't the first Google Android phone made by HTC? I think Google's doing just fine. So will Nokia if they don't produce the very first MeeGo device.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Wasn't the first Google Android phone made by HTC? I think Google's doing just fine. So will Nokia if they don't produce the very first MeeGo device.
i agree. It doesn't matter if its not the first because Meego UI by Nokia is Maemo influenced unlike generic Meego UI

The Following User Says Thank You to niqbal For This Useful Post:
There is zero effect...actually developers can use the small names on the market (wetab and amino) as a good test bed before the big boys dive in

Nokia has to focus on what they know, and that is phones. With phones comes Symbian^3/4. Nokia is developing MeeGo for ARM, but why exactly, when Intel based Meego will outperform anything that Nokia will put together using ARM CPU's ? The only reason I can think of is to make MeeGo as widespread as possible (vs Android/MS), but why do it at the expense of Symbian?

After all, Symbian was used on "mobile computers" long before the term was invented.

Anyway, more Meego devices from other vendors can only be good for Nokia.

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
even though the name is officially changed to wepad, might as well keep calling it the WePad to contradict ipad

does anyone know about nokia and plans to make an internet tablet similar to we and ipad size?

also, a feature of the wepad is its ability to run android apps... is this a feature of meego? imagine a meego phone ghat can run android apps!!! seems unlikely though...

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
you mean it was changed to "WeTab", right?

Originally Posted by SAABoy View Post
also, a feature of the wepad is its ability to run android apps... is this a feature of meego? imagine a meego phone ghat can run android apps!!! seems unlikely though...
A feature I've seen no evidence of. Surely they'd be trumpeting it like nobody's business if it worked.