I have tried to format manually but upon launching the auto-installer it still stalls painfully at formatting /dev/mmcb1k1p2

Is there a way to tell the autoinstaller that the SD is already formatted??

Many thanks.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by bandario View Post
I have tried to format manually but upon launching the auto-installer it still stalls painfully at formatting /dev/mmcb1k1p2

Is there a way to tell the autoinstaller that the SD is already formatted??

Many thanks.
You only have to manually partition the sd, formatting is fine, done by the auto-installer.

After you did your partitions manually, reboot, xterm/root, cat /proc/partitions, you should see your partitions correctly, then proceed with nitdroid installer. If not, re-do your partitions till correct. Sometimes, I have to do twice. I have NOT need to do it 3X yet

bun

I am using a 2gb card.

How big does my 1st FAT partition need to be?

I think this is my mistake, I was just trying to format the whole thing as a single EXT3

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brasilia, Brazil
The fat partition has no size limit.

The ext3 must be under 2 gigs =)

I did exactly 2047mb, and it installed fine. The rest of the 8gb card I assigned to fat.

Same thing worked for installed in internal memory too.

Speaking of using the internal memory, does anybody know if it is possible to use swap if it is set up in the internal flash drive?

(not mmc, apparently swapping from an mmc partition would reduce the card's lifetime by a very sizeable portion)

Yeah I'm not having a win. Have tried a variety of shapes and sizes and it still just sits there on formatting ext3 (same error as reported in page 1 of this thread)

I guess I will just have to wait for the autoinstaller to be updated.

Originally Posted by Bobbe View Post
...The ext3 must be under 2 gigs =)..
That is the advice from the masters. I have tried 6G ext3 and works fine, so far. In fact, works better than fine, it runs slightly faster (dont know why), and if it crashes, it reboots by self rather than just frozen and requires to remove the battery. Do 2G plus ONLY if you can afford an occasionally reboot, if not, stick to the masters recommendation, under 2G

bun

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brasilia, Brazil
I tried with a larger-than-2gb configuration and got this humungous kernel panic when it was supposed to boot for the first time, so I thought the "master's recommendation" (lol) was "uncircumventeable"

In any case 2g is working fine for me, I don't think it would get much faster than it already does cause it's in the eMMC =)

Originally Posted by bandario View Post
Yeah I'm not having a win. Have tried a variety of shapes and sizes and it still just sits there on formatting ext3 (same error as reported in page 1 of this thread)

I guess I will just have to wait for the autoinstaller to be updated.
Please dont, we will take you thru'

1st, start from the beginning. Get a SD card you can affort to be erased. Got it? Ok, assume it is the 2G card you are talkin about,

Type exactly the following, do me a favor, double check all typing before hitting the enter, as fixing a mistake usually takes more time for the diagnosis and whatnot,

bootup maemo
take care the repository, enable extras-devel etc...

xterm
sudo gainroot
umount /media/mmc1
sfdisk -uM /dev/mmcblk1 << EOF
,100,C
,,L
EOF

(wait for it to do partitions... )
Re-reading the partition table ...

reboot
xterm
cat /proc/partitions
looks like this,

........mmcblk0
..100 mmcblk0p1
........mmcblk0p2

proceed from Installation on thread#1

good luck,

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-09-19 at 01:46.

Cannot find nitroid in extras devel...and cant even download using xterm...pls helppppppppp

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ new zealand
hey this might be helpful to u................http://www.dotsis.com/mobile_phone/a...installer.html

The Following User Says Thank You to singhgurbir35 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, face coconut, face palm, nitdroid n900