Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I just think it's funny when you seem to claim this site is something pretending to be a democracy when it's clear that the key decisions are not made by people here and never have been.
Jaffa called this a Democracy??? That silly man. He knows very well it's a Representative Meritocratic Republic. /tic

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
You don't want the community to be in complete control of the resources allocated to maemo.org? Surely it's a no-brainer, and the discussions on the result of that will be continuing, in public, next week.
At this point, I'm not even clear as to what happened when. Did Nokia talk to Nemein first, reach agreement with them on the handover, and then mention it to you/council? Can you please just clearly state what happened and when?

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
At this point, I'm not even clear as to what happened when. Did Nokia talk to Nemein first, reach agreement with them on the handover, and then mention it to you/council? Can you please just clearly state what happened and when?
For practical reasons, the first thing that happened was the maintenance agreement between us and Nokia. Not really a big deal, as it was just a modification to the model we've already been maintaining and developing maemo.org with for years (I know Nemein is not really familiar name here, but we've been involved with the community since the Nokia 770 days).

When the paperwork was out of the way it was time to start figuring out how things actually ought to be run, and for that we approached the council.

But as Jaffa already wrote, making the management of maemo.org more community-oriented was so obviously the right thing to do that it didn't need much discussion

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Does this in any way in imply that we will get any form of source code?

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
So Nokia finally wash their hands. I assume with the passing of maemo.org they will also be washing their hands of the responsibility of the bugs (not that I expect they take notice anyway) but also the voting and caring side of the bugs which is where we all vote and they try and fix the ones we need the most?

Probably not but I can't see if anyone has made sure there is still some assurance they will try for a bit at least to look like they care enough to check the bugs list etc. Rather than just being true to form and ignoring the platform

I know I am a cynic and I still think PR1.3 will be it, should it ever arrive and this is them cutting their ties in having to listen to us.

Anti-Nokia Ambassador

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by twigleaf1976 View Post
So Nokia finally wash their hands. I assume with the passing of maemo.org they will also be washing their hands of the responsibility of the bugs (not that I expect they take notice anyway) but also the voting and caring side of the bugs which is where we all vote and they try and fix the ones we need the most?
There are two separate things: maemo.org as a developer community, and Maemo 5 as an OS. The proposed handover deals with the former, though it may also open doors for things with the latter, like possibilities for creating community SSUs for the N900.

Regardless of what happens with Maemo 5 when MeeGo comes out, I think the maemo.org community has a good chance to stay relevant. This is a community with a true free software spirit that can provide software and support for devices as long as the community itself is interested in them (see the recent community SSU for Maemo 4 as an example). Maybe we can also provide services for MeeGo developers that the official meego.com doesn't (for example Garage and Packages can be just as useful for MeeGo and Harmattan as they've been so far for Maemo development).

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
For practical reasons, the first thing that happened was the maintenance agreement between us and Nokia. Not really a big deal, as it was just a modification to the model we've already been maintaining and developing maemo.org with for years (I know Nemein is not really familiar name here, but we've been involved with the community since the Nokia 770 days).

When the paperwork was out of the way it was time to start figuring out how things actually ought to be run, and for that we approached the council.

But as Jaffa already wrote, making the management of maemo.org more community-oriented was so obviously the right thing to do that it didn't need much discussion
Thanks for the reply. Is it a six month contract renewable at the option of Nokia? When is the next renewal date? And can Nemein and maemo.org decide things like the extent of volunteer maintenance on infrastructure w/o any knowledge or consent by Nokia?

Originally Posted by bergie View Post
it may also open doors for things with the latter, like possibilities for creating community SSUs for the N900.
Nitpick: that particular door is already open (but you know that:

see the recent community SSU for Maemo 4 as an example
) - the main enabler was this (it'd probably be a good idea to get explicit permission for Fremantle as well) plus X-Fade helpfully creating the repositories (but at the end of the day the hosting location is just a cosmetic detail).

BTW, one related issue that's not quite clear at the moment is the fate of the nokia.com repositories. I assume these will not be handed over, but will Nokia continue hosting them for the foreseeable future or should we start making local copies for personal use?

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post

) - the main enabler was this (it'd probably be a good idea to get explicit permission for Fremantle as well) plus X-Fade helpfully creating the repositories (but at the end of the day the hosting location is just a cosmetic detail).

BTW, one related issue that's not quite clear at the moment is the fate of the nokia.com repositories. I assume these will not be handed over, but will Nokia continue hosting them for the foreseeable future or should we start making local copies for personal use?
For Diablo at least, I think we should go ahead and move local copies to Nemein.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Is it a six month contract renewable at the option of Nokia?
Yes, see the meeting minutes.

When is the next renewal date?
In-sync with the half-year & full-year budgetary reviews at Nokia, see the meeting minutes.

And can Nemein and maemo.org decide things like the extent of volunteer maintenance on infrastructure w/o any knowledge or consent by Nokia?
Yes, see the meeting minutes. Anything Nokia want done goes through the same prioritisation process.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post: