Notices

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Serbia
Just to let everybody know that I uploaded v 0.4.1 to devel, it has an on/off switch and reset button for the equalizer.

The Following User Says Thank You to TMarki For This Useful Post:
A new version (0.4.2) has been uploaded to extras-devel.

It has experimental .cue file support. Please try it out and let me know how it works.

Thanks

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TMarki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TMarki View Post
A new version (0.4.2) has been uploaded to extras-devel.

It has experimental .cue file support. Please try it out and let me know how it works.

Thanks
big thanks for adding .cue support
opens cue file ok and list songs within it, skips through the listed songs fine no problems for me but it would be nice to seek through the item(as if it was a single mp3) curently playing if possible rather than just skip to the track time starting point.

The Following User Says Thank You to hycraig For This Useful Post:
TomAmp is a great app that fits the high-quality audio player gap nicel. If I may make two simple suggestions that will dramatically improve usability:

Cache playlist metadata

I tend to try to use TomAmp the same way I use foobar2000. Lacking a media library (which in and of itself is not a big deal, as most "libraries" amount to a folder playlist), I keep all of my music in a single playlist with 2300 entries. An unfortunate consequence is that TomAmp takes approximately a minute and a half to open while it reads metadata for all 2300 songs.

Instead why not normalize metadata to your own set of fields (so you can treat Vorbis/ID3 uniformly) and cache it somewhere like ~/.tomamp-cache? You would then update metadata for individual songs when they are played.

As an aside, please don't forget to accomodate disc number metadata. I have at least eight multi-disc albums whose track numbers should correctly display in the form 2.03.

Search functionality

I know that currently there is at least some search functionality, but I suspect that it is built into QT as its behavior is bizarre to say the least.

I would suggest having any typing initiate a search, continuing to collect keywords until you exit search mode. Make enter play the top match, make shift-enter enqueue the top match, and make shift-backspace exit search mode.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Last edited by Webbie; 2010-09-22 at 02:56. Reason: Did I say FLAC? I meant Vorbis.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Webbie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hycraig View Post
for me but it would be nice to seek through the item(as if it was a single mp3) curently playing if possible rather than just skip to the track time starting point.
Originally Posted by Webbie View Post
Cache playlist metadata
Search functionality
Thank you both for the great suggestions! I already thought about some of them, I'll try to explore the possibilities and if all goes well these features will make it into an upcoming version.

Thanks agan!

Hi,

I've uploaded v0.4.3 to extras-devel, I implemented a very simple (but efficient) metadata caching.

Let me know what you think.

The Following User Says Thank You to TMarki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Belgrade
bug: when i turn on EQ, and try to seek trough a track... it pauses sound, so i must hit a play botton again... :P

Originally Posted by TMarki View Post
Hi,

I've uploaded v0.4.3 to extras-devel, I implemented a very simple (but efficient) metadata caching.

Let me know what you think.
hi
any news on the diablo side of things-anything at all

The caching is a drastic improvement. Thanks!

If you are interested, the cache for my 2300 songs results in a cache file around 550Kb.

If you want to take it one step further, I am guessing that the remaining startup slowness is caused by enumerating folder contents to generate the playlist. Consider caching the current playlist as well.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
This looks pretty promising.Is it somehow possible to lock list scrolling so that it doesnt jump horizontally when scrolling.