Notices

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
i know Fcam is the big thing now, but i don't see the point it excluding the chance someone is making another API, or has figured out another way to use the hardware

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
The idea is great (although I don't know if it's technically possible - there's probably a reason why current implementations don't do it this way) and I wouldn't see why one should change the thread title, as it says exactly what the OP asks for. Technical implementations and APIs don't matter at all, the result does.

@TiagoTiago:
You might also consider opening a brainstorm for this. Not that brainstorms are the most useful tool on maemo.org, but you never know - and your proposal just is the typical brainstorm use-case.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Stanford University
The N900's sensor isn't as flexible as we'd like, for something like this.

It has a set of predefined zoom modes, which are various mixes of on-sensor crop and on-sensor binning. (As an example, when you run it in the regular video recording mode, the sensor doesn't crop at all, and averages pixels down to 1296x974. Then the OMAP3 imaging pipe resizes that down to what's actually stored). There's probably a zoom mode for getting 1:1 pixels off the center, but since we targeted FCam more for photography (Where cropping in post is usually not a big deal) than video, we didn't really investigate supporting those modes.

So right now, FCam doesn't let you specify digital zoom modes, and you always get the full frame, optionally reduced in resolution at the sensor itself.

-Eddy, one of the FCam devs

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ETalvala For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ETalvala View Post
The N900's sensor isn't as flexible as we'd like, for something like this.

It has a set of predefined zoom modes, which are various mixes of on-sensor crop and on-sensor binning. (As an example, when you run it in the regular video recording mode, the sensor doesn't crop at all, and averages pixels down to 1296x974. Then the OMAP3 imaging pipe resizes that down to what's actually stored). There's probably a zoom mode for getting 1:1 pixels off the center, but since we targeted FCam more for photography (Where cropping in post is usually not a big deal) than video, we didn't really investigate supporting those modes.

So right now, FCam doesn't let you specify digital zoom modes, and you always get the full frame, optionally reduced in resolution at the sensor itself.

-Eddy, one of the FCam devs
What about that foveal imaging thing?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
The idea is great (although I don't know if it's technically possible - there's probably a reason why current implementations don't do it this way) and I wouldn't see why one should change the thread title, as it says exactly what the OP asks for. Technical implementations and APIs don't matter at all, the result does.

@TiagoTiago:
You might also consider opening a brainstorm for this. Not that brainstorms are the most useful tool on maemo.org, but you never know - and your proposal just is the typical brainstorm use-case.
I am not sure but I think the N86 was the only Nokia to do this. Shame they didn't put that camera on the N900.
________
TastyNataly cam

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:41.

TiagoTiago,

That can work on the image sensor in our F2 prototype (the same sensor the N95 has, incidentally) - it's more flexible in terms of region-of-interest control. The N900 Toshiba sensor isn't as flexible.

oh, it wasn't with the N900?

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Atlanta
Originally Posted by ETalvala View Post
TiagoTiago,

That can work on the image sensor in our F2 prototype (the same sensor the N95 has, incidentally) - it's more flexible in terms of region-of-interest control. The N900 Toshiba sensor isn't as flexible.
Side question:

Why was the N95 chosen over the N82 as a development phone? The N82 is reconized as a better camera phone than the N95. Where there hidden hardware/software isses with the N82 that made the Fcam team choose the N95 instead?

Deaconclgi, we don't have FCam running on an N95 - there were some early experiments done on it, but in the end, there was a strict limit to what you can do to the phone (like no manual exposure possible on standard firmware).