Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Swiss
the symbian and android version is out, it's possible to ported for N900?

Please developer.

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
wohh that would be great.. !

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Okay. I'm bumping this to see if we are now closer to having such app?

Would love Whatsapp on my N900. As many friends/relatives overseas use it.

Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Okay. I'm bumping this to see if we are now closer to having such app?

Would love Whatsapp on my N900. As many friends/relatives overseas use it.
ohman jakiman ! ur the man, im waiting too long for an app like whatsapp.. every one is using it here in the netherlands.. and the iphone has IT ALL, only whatsapp is missing

is it really that hard to make an app like this ?
isnt this allmost the same as msn or gtalk or something

Last edited by Psycho; 2010-11-01 at 18:19.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Airtux View Post
the symbian and android version is out, it's possible to ported for N900?

Please developer.
Both the application and its protocol are closed, so WhatsApp, Inc. are the only ones who can port the application. You'd likely be better off contacting the company directly rather than posting here if you want their attention.

WhatsApp has made a beta of their application available for S60 3rd & 5th editions as well as Symbian^3. If the company hooks a good number of Symbian users into their $1.99/yr service plan, and if MeeGo sells reasonably well, then a Symbian and MeeGo Qt version of the app doesn't seem out of the question.

Should that come to pass, it will still remain to be seen if that helps vanilla MeeGo on N900 or MeeGo-Harmattan on N900 users. It will be interesting to see how the DRM support available in future MeeGo handsets, but not available in the N900, plays out in the commercial application marketplace.

The other possibility is that someone might reverse engineer the WhatsApp protocol and develop a compatible plugin for Pidgin. Most likely that would result in a game of "chase the changing protocol" though, as proprietary IM service providers have a history of disliking people crashing their private parties.

hmm i sended an email.. well see what they say

okay, here we go;

Hi whatsapp,

is it possible that you port the whatsapp application in QT? Symbian^3 is coming out, also Meego of moblin and nokia, en there are many n900 users with maemo.

All those operating systems are running QT. Its just an idea?

I would very preciate it if you take action.

With kind regards,

maemo/Android/meego user

Reply of whatsapp;

QT is under consideration for 2011. We want to support as many phones as possible and we understand that QT is pretty rich in experience.

Hope this helps,

--b

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Psycho For This Useful Post:
Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
every one is using it here in the netherlands..
Not everyone is using that in the Netherlands. I never will because it's a closed application and protocol.

Use an OPEN standard and tell your friends to use that too. Google talk uses Jabber protocol so thats availible for all phones. Now and in the future.

Originally Posted by robbie View Post
Not everyone is using that in the Netherlands. I never will because it's a closed application and protocol.

Use an OPEN standard and tell your friends to use that too. Google talk uses Jabber protocol so thats availible for all phones. Now and in the future.
Not everybody has gtalk on their phones. Whatsapp is becoming more and more popular and it automatically knows what of your contacts have also installed it.

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by smoothc View Post
Not everybody has gtalk on their phones. Whatsapp is becoming more and more popular and it automatically knows what of your contacts have also installed it.
The ones that don't have it installed can install it (just like they can install Whatsapp). My N900 has a nice list in conversations of all my contacts that are online.

I still don't get it. Why pay for and use a closed application when there's a very good and open alternative availible? Don't let this vendor lock you (and your friends) in!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robbie For This Useful Post:

Tags
stupid hack