Active Topics

I think have my N900 for many years.

I respect everyone but sometimes i don't understand why buy a phone, use it a when something new comes out (6 months, maybe earlier) then drop the old one to get the new one.

I know the new one have more tecnology and stuff but the N900 can be on the spot for many years.

I just miss the N900 dosen't have record video 720p but for the rest have almost everything i need (some apps don't have it in extras yet and some are in the minds of someone of you).

Grettings

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
I was quite surprised to read that the n8 has a lower resolution than the n900 (I didn't go double check this, so correct me if I'm wrong) which would make the n8 a considerable downgrade on that factor alone...

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Yes the N8 has a lower reolution but really not _that_ noticable..I have both the N900 and the orange N8, and I like them both... I wouldn't want to compare the two though.. the N8 is an excellent phone while the N900 is an excellent tablet... Both do what they're suppose to do pretty well.. and the new Symbian is really a pleasure to use for the first time since S60v5

my only concern is that the meego phone will have capacitive screen instead of resistive multitouch...so the N900 is irreplacewble right now and for a long time.

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ mother earth
ok I will share my story,

I used to have a N-Gage for like 6 years now ( bought it day 1) and despite all the fuss about the iphone and android OS never felt the need to upgrade until I saw a review about the n900 on The Linux Show on youtube (not sure about the show name).

I bought it 2 months ago, or 3 ... don't really remember

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
My wife has the N8, man we were waiting impatiently for that phone! We were so eager to test out the camera, the usb host mode and the HDMI with 5.1 sound.
But now some four weeks later I gotta say that my N900 is far more flexible and easy to use. The N8 disturbs me in many ways (it has a couple of serious updates for wait for, I know), things like responsiveness (yes, sometimes you have to press the finger three or four times just to get a reaction). I have never liked a virtual keyboard, like the ones I've tested on droids and iPhones. The browser experience i just crap to be honest, and applications just suddenly crash or behave strangely here and there. The skype application is not integrated in any way like it appears to be in the N900. The user interface is not logic either, I always press the wrong buttons.

The good things are in the N8 simply put, the camera (fantastic), the navigation and the HDMI stuff. The rest, well I had expected more than this. I love my N900.

Originally Posted by Tedri Mark View Post
I was quite surprised to read that the n8 has a lower resolution than the n900 (I didn't go double check this, so correct me if I'm wrong) which would make the n8 a considerable downgrade on that factor alone...
It's not just the screen that would make it a considerable downgrade, it's the OS.

Before my N900 i had an N97, and using Maemo 5 for this long now, i couldn't go back to Symbian again.

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by hassan_badredin View Post
my only concern is that the meego phone will have capacitive screen instead of resistive multitouch...so the N900 is irreplacewble right now and for a long time.
Yep, I'm not looking forward to losing that either...

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
2nd Larswad, Munkiii and Tedri.

The N8 made me really disgusted about the capacitive screen and has confirmed that the N900 will be a unique classic.
The N8 has the worst input I have every seen.
The cooperation between Skype announced in Barcelona 2009 to preload and integrate is nowhere to be found but in the N900.
The familiar "Share online" for uploading your pictures? Forget it, Nokia has a deal with Pixelpipe.
Nokia was smart enough to downgrade the cam on the E7 as to provide at least some reason of existence to the N8.
It will take will power to boycott the N9 but a capacitive screen will surely help.

The things going for the N8 are:
-awesome to see your photo's on an HD plasma
-bluetooth mouse / keyb control
-HDMI movie playback / record
-smart hybrid design: low end CPU running Symbian with sleeping but ready to use multimedia power via high end GPU. Battery life is really good if you are in a just phone period.

who will stick to the N900 when or if the N9 comes out?