Notices

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Bahrain
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Before suggesting alternative IM's, I'd suggest to familiarize yourself with BBM's features first.
There's a reason that people are asking for the BBM specifically.

(prediction: rather than read up about BBM on their own, people will just (rudely) ask and challenge by saying things like "What's so great about BBM anyway?!?! Proof it!!!")

1) Ability to post picture
2) Fellow contacts can now see what you are listening to. (If option is checked)
3) Back up BBM Contacts
4) Longer Personal messages or away messages. (w/e you wana call it)
5) More smileys. (No offense but whats up with the Canadian Icon. LOL)
6) Send Files.. Pictures, Another bbm contact, Voice Notes,
7) Sync Avatars to Adress Book Entries.
8) Best of all.... Scanable Bar Code. Friend with a blackberry can just scan your barcode to add you as their contact..
Source: http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/fe...-5-0-a-270307/

Backup and restore
The option to automatically save your contact list to your device or media card when your contact list changes is on by default.

Chats You can do the following:
View larger versions of pictures that you receive.
Reply to voice notes by sending your own voice note.
Clear draft messages from the chat field by pressing and holding the Shift key and the Delete key in an existing chat.

Contact list screen
You can change the spacing of your contact list to a one-line format. Also, the layout of menu items has been improved to be shorter and easier to navigate.

Text messaging
If you're using BlackBerry® Device Software 5.0 or later, you can change options so that you receive text messages in BlackBerry Messenger from BlackBerry Messenger contacts who are linked with a phone number in the Contacts application.
Source: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...r&subCategory=

Please advice what's so special about BBM, except for sending voice notes?

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
a combo of email and instant messaging does pretty much everything the 'berries do and more

dude. . thts an awesome idea!!!

n yes balckberry sucks donkey balls. .

hope u concor the bbm soon!

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
wtf kind of "project" is this with no research done beforehand? :P
i don't doubt that someone can reverse engineer the protocol, and get this working, but since it's based on proprietairy hardware, there's a good chance it's nearly impossible. msn protocol was essentially reverse-engineeered, but it doesn't rely on any hardware "key" obviously.
why don't you take a free and open source xmpp client that has features we lack in our n900 xmpp implementation, and add those? apparently we could support encryption,compression, group chat via telepathy-gabble, but the interface we use doesn't really show if this stuff is enabled, working, or how to activate it from what i've seen.
makes a lot more sense to improve our implementation of an open-source protocol gtalk, ovi, facebook chat already use.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by aalsayegh View Post
Please advice what's so special about BBM, except for sending voice notes?
1. Always connected. There's no account login/logout at all and this is tied to blackberry's online connection mechanism. (very reliable)
2. Message 'tracking': unsent, sent to server, sent to recipient, read by recipient.
3. Advanced image sharing automation: auto image resize and preview.
4. Blackberry 'groups': persistent group chat, image sharing area within the group complete with comments section, group tasks and calendar sharing. All this within the BBM interface.

The points above are why I personally think BBM is better (in terms of UX) and features than just about any other IM services. But the main reason that I think BBM is special is because it brings IM to people who usually don't IM.

On top of that, I really get plenty of saving using BBM because I travel a lot. Data roaming cost is helluva expensive; and blackberry's compression and connection optimizations really make a difference on the monthly bill to me.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 511 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Trinidad and Tobago
For me no IM will be of much use seeing as my service provides only provide internet for BlackBerry devices and lame internet to top it off. Yet still they want to sell devices like the Galaxy S smh

I miss my N900
Hello DELL Venue Pro Mango
Listen to my music >>> www.reverbnation.com/rrule

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Bahrain
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
1. Always connected. There's no account login/logout at all and this is tied to blackberry's online connection mechanism. (very reliable)
2. Message 'tracking': unsent, sent to server, sent to recipient, read by recipient.
3. Advanced image sharing automation: auto image resize and preview.
4. Blackberry 'groups': persistent group chat, image sharing area within the group complete with comments section, group tasks and calendar sharing. All this within the BBM interface.

The points above are why I personally think BBM is better (in terms of UX) and features than just about any other IM services. But the main reason that I think BBM is special is because it brings IM to people who usually don't IM.

On top of that, I really get plenty of saving using BBM because I travel a lot. Data roaming cost is helluva expensive; and blackberry's compression and connection optimizations really make a difference on the monthly bill to me.
This all can be done, just build a custom IM application, let it be cross platform and BOOM, we have a BBM clone

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by aalsayegh View Post
This all can be done, just build a custom IM application, let it be cross platform and BOOM, we have a BBM clone
You're thinking from a purely conceptual standpoint...

Moreover, for some of the features you need to roll out the changes on both ends (you and your buddies), which may not be possible/practical at all.

And the bottomline is that a BBM clone (functionally) will nowhere be as useful as a BBM client that lets you participate in the actual BBM community.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Hey guys i found this http://www.web2pin.com/web2pinfree.aspx, is a service to send free Blackberry Pin messages from internet. ¿how they do it?

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
Prozac, any news mate ?? or ..

Tags
messaging, no you aren't, pingchat