Originally Posted by N900@900MHz View Post
that's why i started this tread... other s have problems with uboot too.
see this post.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=65461
you realy don't get the point:

u-boot does /not/ require flashing
not having uboot requires flashing

kerrnel problems are nasty if you can't revert to a fallback kernel, arn't they? bad if you have to flash everytime. uboot has everything that can make that a thing of the past.

uboot provides a solution to the problem you see and is not the problem...

that's why i started this tread... other s have problems with uboot too.
see this post.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=65461
first , I repeat.... you don't have to use u-boot , stay away from kernel packages in extras-devel .

the thread title is :
N900 kernel v45, why with uboot???

it reflects your opinion that you don't need u-boot ...

assuming you knew what you were doing , you went on and installed kernel-package from extras-devel , knowing that u-boot will be installed as you have read the change log , the title won't be "why with uboot" .

others having problems with u-boot installed the kernel-package from extras-devel without knowing the changes , well it's their fault , they have been warned before about installing software from extras-devel .
and it's not like fixing that is too hard , if you are caught in a reboot loop / kernel doesn't start , just extract the pr1.3 kernel and flash it , then install stable power-kernel version , or extract the power kernel image from .deb of stable version , and flash it , that works too .

or follow instructions by Matan
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...270#post870270

if the phone starts , but you just don't like u-boot , installing stable kernel-version will overwrite u-boot .

as posted above , u-boot is there to help you load different kernels from any where without needing to flash them .

multiboot currently wears your oneNAND by flashing new kernel every time you choose a different OS , in the future , multiboot can be used to write boot.scr for u-boot , instead of flashing .

Last edited by ivyking; 2010-11-16 at 09:18.

you don' t use things from devel for a productive phone... and btw shouldn't use apt from the command line and alsonot the fast application manager.

yes. but /if/ case of productive use: there my alies are with the users. if you want it for productive the users need a menu and not that boot.scr. not having it is a imo usability bug.
you will want a fallback kernel as well so that if luser installs a kernel that doesn't work at once can boot with some other working kernel he had before and that again requires a menu.
a simple thing like numbers in front of the choices and loading dependend on the number typed in could resolve this.

there are more than this bug to resolve. i am the last to say that is fit for productive and be the first to criticize it if it was labled "for productive use"...

but you are right: some take something with a huge label "BROKEN" and "not fit for productive use" and than they say: hey look, how come that we have problems with broken stuff?
sid breaks the toys: we know that. but that doesn't make the toys bad.

Originally Posted by ivyking View Post
first , I repeat.... you don't have to use u-boot , stay away from kernel packages in extras-devel .

the thread title is :
N900 kernel v45, why with uboot???

it reflects your opinion that you don't need u-boot ...

assuming you knew what you were doing , you went on and installed kernel-package from extras-devel , knowing that u-boot will be installed as you have read the change log , the title won't be "why with uboot" .

others having problems with u-boot installed the kernel-package from extras-devel without knowing the changes , well it's their fault , they have been warned before about installing software from extras-devel .
and it's not like fixing that is too hard , if you are caught in a reboot loop / kernel doesn't start , just extract the pr1.3 kernel and flash it , then install stable power-kernel version , or extract the power kernel image from .deb of stable version , and flash it , that works too .

or follow instructions by Matan
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...270#post870270

if the phone starts , but you just don't like u-boot , installing stable kernel-version will overwrite u-boot .

as posted above , u-boot is there to help you load different kernels from any where without needing to flash them .

multiboot currently wears your oneNAND by flashing new kernel every time you choose a different OS , in the future , multiboot can be used to write boot.scr for u-boot , instead of flashing .

The Following User Says Thank You to lunat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Btw, since with uboot you don't need to flash new kernels and can have concurrent kernels installed, why is it that the power kernel is installed as the only one instead of having the stock kernel present as an option?

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
afaik, the stock kernel remains since titan's kernel has a mechanism that will revert to the default kernel in the case of an unexpected reboot.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
i thought it just loaded the default settings instead of custom ones, the settings you get on a fresh install without any previous power kernel install having been done in the device before.

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
way too much kernel-power thread!

yes im a troll, but we have the overclocking thread. where we can talk all about the kernel

we also have the "report your issues" post to talk about what is the problem in v45 so we can help developers making the kernel stable.

just saying

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
way too much kernel-power thread!

yes im a troll, but we have the overclocking thread. where we can talk all about the kernel

we also have the "report your issues" post to talk about what is the problem in v45 so we can help developers making the kernel stable.

just saying
I disagree. I'm interesting in the kernel-power kernel, but I'm not interested in overclocking.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fnordianslip For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
Hello,
So my suggestion is, remove that uboot option, if some users want to use that, there is a separate program/download install for it
You can do it yourself, it is rather simple to remove u-boot from kernel image.

For example, after some studies, I have removed actual u-boot from kernel image v45 and replaced it with older version (same as v44).
So now I have a Power Kernel v45 with u-boot from Power Kernel v44

u-boot (Matan's version) included in v44 power kernel is more usefull on N900 than version presents in v43/v45 power kernel (which is the same presents in uboot-PR13 package) but unfortunately it works only on HW revision 2101 and it hangs on HW revision 2204

Last edited by Fabry; 2010-11-17 at 03:37.

since .45 and uboot i can't reboot my device...
it ends in a reboot loop.
same thing is when the charger is attached.

another problem is, that the sound stops.
pulseaudio seems to be unloaded by the kernel.

when i do a reinstall of
kernel-power
kernel-power-flasher
kernel-power-settings

all works.

but after some new boots, the same problem arrives
-.-'

is there anybody with the same problem/problems

Greetz
Erazor

Tags
it's raining, noobs