Active Topics

Hi,

read today in a dutch newspaper that the radiation fom a smartphone could damage the magnetic strip and/or chip on a bankpass or creditcard.

On the other4 hand, I like the idea of carrying creditcard and n900 in the same pouch.

Would it help to carry the creditcard in a metal sleeve?

Paai

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
http://www.smartcaze.se/index2.htm

e: I'd be more concerned about n900's screen than credit cards chip when those two would be side by side in my pocket....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Honestly, the only 2 things that's ever stopped my bank cards from working are a. snapping them, or b. salt water (not good for the chip).

I'm sure some giant electro-magnet wouldn't do it any good, but a phone? Please!

Anyway I'd be more worried about what it can do to your brain if it can destroy bank cards

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to James_Littler For This Useful Post:
Eh, I seriously doubt it. You can stick a magnetic-stripped card in the microwave for a few seconds without frying it and that's a few thousand times stronger than anything your phone could ever put out.

A RFID chip however could be damaged, but probably not by a cellphone - Three seconds in the microwave however will turn it into a nice char spot on your card.
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

I haven't had a credit card fry on me from a phone and I have been using both and close to each other for more than a decade.

I have had hotel cards get deprogrammed though from a phone when kept together (I am talking same bag here not really close as in a pocket or case).
I guess it depends from the quality of the card.

A bank card is designed to last anywhere from 1 to 4 years of abuse in wallets, pockets, atm's, teller machines etc.
A hotel card is probably the cheapest available quality and pretty much disposable.

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bracknell, UK
My credit cards suffers a lot due to my wife's shopping when compared to the radiation of 50 smartphones.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to pisthpeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by xenkof View Post
...A bank card is designed to last anywhere from 1 to 4 years of abuse in wallets, pockets, atm's, teller machines etc...
My stupid local bank keeps sending me cards made of some self-disintegrating plastic, that last only 6 months in my wallet... When I ask for a replacement they just send the next card with extended validity date, so now I have a cracked card that is valid until 2016. Idiots.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sopwith For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by paai View Post
read today in a dutch newspaper that the radiation fom a smartphone could damage the magnetic strip and/or chip on a bankpass or creditcard.
Dunno about radiation, but devices containing magnets (such as the N900) are a definite concern for the cards' magnetic strips. Best to keep them at a reasonable distance.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
http://www.smartcaze.se/index2.htm

e: I'd be more concerned about n900's screen than credit cards chip when those two would be side by side in my pocket....
Agreed! Or you could you your credit card to pay for yourN900 screen replacement

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
I remember seeing on Mythusters they trying to mess up the data on magnetic strips on cards with all sorts of magnets, and only on very extreme cases anything happened at all