Notices

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ void
How about a wiki entry for fbreader?
btw is it just me that the app got stuck at loading some thing forever without opening any file?

Hello, Rob1n

Your last update added a rather useless online library toolbar option, at the cost of removing the full-screen switch option. Could you please bring the full-screen switch back? Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Didn't realise it looked in ZIP files - mine are all epub files, so there's no point in zipping them up. I'll try to play around with this a bit anyway.

I'll have a look at this - providing the calibre service is rich enough and the FBReader configuration options are flexible enough then it should be easy enough to add.
Calibre is open source and the author open to suggestions. If you want/need specific support ask him - you may find he's very willing to help.

My final request ... would there be a way to have an option for a custom application keep backlight on time? As it is I keep it set to on because I dont want my n900 locking every 2 minutes. But I would love it to say lock after 10 or 15 minutes because that means I am probably done reading but neglected to either lock the screen manually or close fbreader. It would help preserve battery. Again thanks for the great app.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
So many optimizations made to enhance fbreader for the n900 that I am afraid users who have not been following all the progress would have quite a time figuring out the optimizations which (just in my opinion) are kind of scattered now across the different sections..how about a simple option to optimize for full screen....could be as simple as a tab that contains check boxes of all the full screen enhancing optimizations you have implemented, so a new fbreader user would not have to fish around.
Most of the changes are not Maemo-specific, so are on the appropriate tabs for the functionality they control.

For instance if you start with simply, full screen mode with no toolbar, no exit full screen button (the old one that pops up every time you touch the screen) and the menu in the bottom right, (which has exit full screen anyway) and left the other stuff to be checked at the users discretion, It might make for an easier transition for someone to start using fbreader optimized for the n900.
Sorry, I strongly disagree with you here. Having the app start with a setup where there's no obvious way to control, configure, or interact with it is not a user-friendly way to go about things. It's currently starting up with all visual controls enabled, and it's left to the user to disable those things they don't want.

Just a thought, I guess it would also probably need (I know you are not hot on adding to the menu) a link to open up preferences from the menu.
That's the one extra one I'm thinking of adding, yes.

I see every time you expand in network library (drill down) the books move further to the right, as it is now drilling down to a book in smashwords, you can't read the full book title...
Yes, it's a tree structure so that's the way it works. Otherwise you couldn't tell where the nestings start/stop. A better option for a deeply-nested system would be something similar to the standard N900 file browser - this would mean a complete rewrite of the tree browser though.

Originally Posted by gsever View Post
With the latest update and patches applied, I can confirm that MStarDict is auto-started and auto-focused, however it lists the possible words in the dictionaries. It would be nice to get the word definition for the first listed word in the list. After switching into FBreader and tapping another word (I set single-click for dict setting) it focuses onto Mstartdict but showing the previous word. It requires one more back tap to get the updated word lists. This also would be nice to directly giving me the first possible word definition.
Yes - I plan on looking into whether there's a way to auto-select the entry. The second issue sounds like a bug in MStarDict - I'll look into that as well though.

Originally Posted by gsever View Post
Unlike MStarDict, QStarDict doesn't auto-start if an instance isn't launched. Q doesn't auto-focus the window either, but shows the definition instantly instead of asking me to choose one. So my vote goes to MStarDict, unless you improve auto-focus and auto-start option for QStarDict.
Are you sure you're using the patched version? Both of these issues are what the patch is supposed to sort out.

Originally Posted by 009N View Post
How about a wiki entry for fbreader?
btw is it just me that the app got stuck at loading some thing forever without opening any file?
Are you on Diablo? I've had several reports of this on Diablo and need to look into why it might be happening. I've not heard of any issues on Fremantle though.

Originally Posted by fms View Post
Your last update added a rather useless online library toolbar option, at the cost of removing the full-screen switch option. Could you please bring the full-screen switch back?
Yes - I hadn't realised there was such a limit on the number of icons displayed. I'll look to reorganise this on the next release (you can edit the /usr/share/FBReader/default/toolbar.xml file to remove the network library link in the meantime). Oh, and while the network library may be useless for you, plenty of others find that feature useful.

My final request ... would there be a way to have an option for a custom application keep backlight on time? As it is I keep it set to on because I dont want my n900 locking every 2 minutes. But I would love it to say lock after 10 or 15 minutes because that means I am probably done reading but neglected to either lock the screen manually or close fbreader. It would help preserve battery. Again thanks for the great app.
This wouldn't be a trivial piece of work, so it's not going to be high on my priority list. There's no way to do this via the system auto-lock (it can only be enabled or disabled), so I'd need to disable it and then handle the timeout and locking within the app.

Thanks, I'll never argue with you Rob1n as my biggest disappointment on this device was (imop) lack of a good ereader for my purposes, and you came through in spades. It's so cool to have total control over these books (navigation and screen controls) and be able to just slide out the keyboard and actually practise some commands in real time.

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Yes - I hadn't realised there was such a limit on the number of icons displayed. I'll look to reorganise this on the next release (you can edit the /usr/share/FBReader/default/toolbar.xml file to remove the network library link in the meantime). Oh, and while the network library may be useless for you, plenty of others find that feature useful.
Well, not exactly useless, but its usage frequency (even by people who like it) is so much lower than that of the full-screen switch, that it does not grant it a spot on the main toolbar. I would suggest moving it to the Library toolbar instead, as it logically fits there and there is free space.

Well, not exactly useless, but its usage frequency (even by people who like it) is so much lower than that of the full-screen switch, that it does not grant it a spot on the main toolbar.
That depends on your usage of the other new functionality. You can have a fullscreen button in the indicator bar instead, for example. Personally, I no longer use the toolbar at all, which is probably why I missed the space limitation.

I would suggest moving it to the Library toolbar instead, as it logically fits there and there is free space.
Unfortunately that's not where it's designed to go (and I'm not sure it makes more sense to go there either - depends on whether it opens the book you select or just imports it into the library), and moving it there currently causes odd loops - closing it down returns to the normal library view, and closing that returns to the network library view again (you need to close it a second time to get back to the book view). There's also no way to have it appear on the popup menu in the book view, but only on the toolbar in the library view.

Anyway, I'll have a look into the alternatives and see whether I can figure out something which suits everyone.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
I don't like to just add a "me too" but I agree with everyone wanting the full screen switch back. Aside from the volume button to change pages, the full screen toggle has to be second in terms of importance.

Thanks.

I've just uploaded 0.12.10-20 now. There's only minor changes - the network library is now accessible from both the book view and network view, and the button for accessing it has moved from the toolbar to the main menu (and is still accessible via the popup menu as well). This means the fullscreen button now appears on the toolbar again. I've also reordered the popup menu - the view-specific actions now appear at the top, followed by the actions to switch views, followed by the global actions at the bottom. The preferences dialog can now be accessed via the popup menu as well.

Again, this update is for Fremantle only at the moment - I've been away all weekend and haven't had a chance to check things out on Diablo.

The source code changes can be downloaded from here.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post: