Active Topics

Hi

Are we really making meego with this maemo development in N900?
What is the meaning doing this, if this N900 is not in the future plan of nokia? Or Meego is going to be next step for old dino N900?

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
For all of your questions and much more, please visit:
http://wiki.meego.com/Main_Page

Originally Posted by HangLoose View Post
For all of your questions and much more, please visit:
http://wiki.meego.com/Main_Page
Ok. One question: is N900 still under development (software) till meego run ?/2011?

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gaffney, South Carolina, USA
Most likely not fully in development anymore as many of the developers have shifted to MeeGo devs. The community will more and more be the source of new development for Maemo. More or less I think that's for the good - imo.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
The N900 is not a dinosaur.

The future of MeeGo and Nokia is not really understood yet, at least not by anyone outside of Nokia anyway. Given the kicking Nokia seem to get in the press at every opportunity it's possible they might about face and change direction again, but I hope not.

MeeGo could easily be sliced up to run on the N900 but the limited rootfs space will mean it probably has to live on the eMMC or an SD card - both of which will mean a somewhat less than fluid user experience to one degree or another.

The official future of the N900 is whatever you decide to make of it.

Looking at MeeGo itself, one can probably correctly surmise that the next generation or two of tablet hardware will rapidly approach the average netbook / laptop in terms of hardware and features - to be honest, I can't wait. I love the N900, but I'll love whatever comes next a tad more. The base install is, I don't know, about a gigabyte, this is the future, hardware manufacturers are going to have to keep up, that means more RAM, more storage space. What's not to like?

By the time this happens the N900 will be approaching 2 years old give or take a few months. It wont stop working so you're free to keep it, but progress never stops.