Active Topics

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by lanwellon View Post
Why N900 failed on consumer market?
Doesn't "failing" somehow imply "trying"? Maemo wasn't meant for the consumer market, so while it's true to say it wasn't successful there, I wouldn't use the word "fail". AFAIK, it was even more successful than Nokia had planned - which isn't necessarily a good thing in terms of image, cost for customer care etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bubor View Post
why they still use linux versioning? Because they use vanilia kernel with lot of own patches.
Please read the whole post, then comment I have explained why it is _not_ linux. Making a pointless comment on a thing already explained?!

Originally Posted by bubor View Post
why they still use linux versioning? Because they use vanilia kernel with lot of own patches.
if it has patches it is not vanilla....

but you are right that linux is the kernel only and has nothing and absolutely nothing to do with libs or qt or any other software.

Last edited by lunat; 2010-11-23 at 14:42.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Doesn't "failing" somehow imply "trying"? Maemo wasn't meant for the consumer market, so while it's true to say it wasn't successful there, I wouldn't use the word "fail". AFAIK, it was even more successful than Nokia had planned - which isn't necessarily a good thing in terms of image, cost for customer care etc.
Whenever I see this argument, it's hard for me to believe. Like executives were saying, "hey, let's make a quality product and lose a lot of money! Yeah, that would be cool!"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
The reason why it failed is simple: Its NOT idiot proof like iPhone and UI not as smooth and polished.

Originally Posted by acvetkov View Post
Making a pointless comment on a thing already explained?!
You did talk about the libs, what isnt the linux.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
True, any company wishes that their product will be the next big thing. But when you set your sights low for sales volume and adjust your business model accordingly with limited marketing/support, the definition of success changes.

I believe Nokia has actually stated that the n900 sales far exceeded their expectations (wish I had a citation for this). Then to Nokia, this is the exact opposite of failure.

Citation: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/5984678.cms

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Last edited by cfh11; 2010-11-23 at 15:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
yes. but somehow it puzzles why they put a badly supported unfinished prototype instead of a quality product on the marked. in regard to quality the n900 is realy bad in regard to capabilities its rather highend.
i don't think realy like they wanted it to be a flop but well its nokia: nokia always diversified instead of concentrating on one successfull device. they allways put out a lot of different devices. well the next is different and might be a hit.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Whenever I see this argument, it's hard for me to believe. Like executives were saying, "hey, let's make a quality product and lose a lot of money! Yeah, that would be cool!"

Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
I disagree with your disagree. No company puts out products hoping they will have limited appeal/sales, if the tablets are niche, they became niche when they never took off, not because nokia wanted a niche product. Evidently they were not made or marketed right, as look what certain tablets are doing now. In 20/20 hindsight its is easy to just say stuff was meant to be niche, but I doubt that was how the devices were pitched internally within Nokia.
What about when a company says in a live world wide broadcast that product A is just step 4 of 5? How does that fit into your ideal business plan scenario?

Take a good, long, hard look at the n900. Who the fvck were they marketing it to? It's got an IR and FM transmitter for Christ's sake!

everything is a step in a process, 4 of 5 2 of 3 or 1 of 100. Was the original iphone a step 5? And it has not been improved since? How did that step 1 device sell? I really don't know what this step 4 business is. It is a product and they wanted it to sell like hotcakes.

The Following User Says Thank You to extendedping For This Useful Post:

Tags
making popcorn, op stop posting