Notices

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by eachna View Post
I don't use TOR proxy (I know what it is). The One Ring is the only TOR I use .

If I understand correctly, "Google Voice Plugin" is what I installed so that I could go to a contact card and have an option to contact someone via Google Voice. "The One Ring" (which makes use of that plugin) is what then actually handles the call and dials out to google and sends my callback number. Of course, I may have those backwards or just be completely wrong. Regardless, I know the plugin and TOR work together somehow .
"Google Voice Plugin..." *is* The One Ring. Because I don't want "Google Voice" in the official name of the project and when people look at the catalog "The One Ring" will be confusing is why the "name" for the package is not the project's name. A lot of plugins do this. For MSN there is Pecan, Butterfly, and sort-of Haze. There are more like that but I'm spacing on them.

Back to my problem, yes, when I put my Gizmo number into the nickname spot, and choose to call a contact from the contact card via Google Voice, it connects correctly (calls me back).

When I put my Tmobile number in the nickname spot, when I try to call a contact via Google Voice I get an alert that the line is busy.
This sounds very strange. There s an error I've seen before. I can't remember if it is the same but it sounds similar. The issue there is that Google was faster setting up the callback than TOR is in realizing there wasn't and error and closing the call. So the call would come in but Maemo wouldn't let you pick it up because in theory you were in a call. I could make the call out jump out earlier but then I wouldn't have a way to report errors (not like I can be too specific with the errors Maemo allows me to give users). Another option is I could jump out of the call immediately and popup a special IM window to display any errors.

There is a bit of a complicated debugging step that I'm tempted to ask you to do (it involves the command line) but I think if you give Dialcentral (my other app) a try than we can get a feel if it is an issue with the front end or backend.

Edit: Happy Thanksgiving (if you celebrate it).
Yes and I do (and a little too much according to my stomach) and you too.

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 32 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Philadelphia
I've been having the same problem with using TOR and PBXes. I would get a missed call after disconnecting, and then when I try to call again I just get "busy".

I don't have this problem with Dialcentral though as it works immediately after I get "busy" with TOR.

I had this problem (BUSY) a couple days ago. So I tried to use DialCentral, but it gave me a weird error. So I used some cell minutes. A couple of hours later the problem had resolved itself.

Originally Posted by epage View Post
"Google Voice Plugin..." *is* The One Ring.
That seems a LITTLE odd to me because I remember installing two parts. Meh. I guess I'm mis-remembering. Or maybe I'm remembering installing DialCentral (which is also on my n900).

The issue there is that Google was faster setting up the callback than TOR is in realizing there wasn't and error and closing the call. So the call would come in but Maemo wouldn't let you pick it up because in theory you were in a call.
YES. That sounds very much like what I'm seeing. TOR is just too fast .

There is a bit of a complicated debugging step that I'm tempted to ask you to do (it involves the command line) but I think if you give Dialcentral (my other app) a try than we can get a feel if it is an issue with the front end or backend.
I have dial central on my phone and when I put my cell number in the "Callback number" field it calls me back properly. If you want me to do some command line testing later I'd be glad to follow whatever directions and post whatever logs .

YES. That sounds very much like what I'm seeing. TOR is just too fast .
Actually it means GV is too fast and TOR is too slow

I have dial central on my phone and when I put my cell number in the "Callback number" field it calls me back properly. If you want me to do some command line testing later I'd be glad to follow whatever directions and post whatever logs .
With that I think it is the speed issue but the best way to verify it isn't something else is a log file stored at "~/.telepathy-theonering/theonering.log". That file should contain any errors if they happen on the TOR side of things. Otherwise I'll guess it is the speed issue and sit puzzled about the best way to resolve it.

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
When I deleted my log and tried again (to get a clean log for you) it worked.

It hadn't been working for at least 4-5 days. Maybe one of the many reboots I've done lately cleared up the problem.

Edit: "it" being calling out to Google Voice and having it call back on my cellular line.

Thank you for writing TOR, it's a wonderful resource on the n900.

When I deleted my log and tried again (to get a clean log for you) it worked.

It hadn't been working for at least 4-5 days. Maybe one of the many reboots I've done lately cleared up the problem.

Edit: "it" being calling out to Google Voice and having it call back on my cellular line.

Thank you for writing TOR, it's a wonderful resource on the n900.
At least for my device, it tends to slow down with time and eventually a reboot is needed to do anything with it. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the situation.

Why does TOR have to use the call interface to initiate the Google Voice callback? I mean Dialcentral doesn't use the call interface so it is possible without it?...

Originally Posted by feuxfollets View Post
Why does TOR have to use the call interface to initiate the Google Voice callback? I mean Dialcentral doesn't use the call interface so it is possible without it?...
That was the purpose for creating TOR, to integrate GV into the built-in Maemo apps. It is possible to make calls with the debug prompt but that isn't too intuituve.

So it's not possible to just put a button in the contacts interface that initiates a callback without opening the phone application?

Tags
google voice, maemo 4, maemo 5