Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by qole View Post
SubCore: From your mention of libgl1, the sledgehammer approach was done in Maemo.
yes, exactly. the libgl1-mesa packages gave the error i quoted above. the dependencies for libopenal were no issue in easy debian, it installed without problem.

I'm curious, now. I wonder if we could hack Maemo's libgl1 into Easy Debian to replace one of the libgl1-mesa-xxx packages and get HW acellerated OpenGL?
worth a shot
not just for blender but other applications inside easy debian could profit from that as well...

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Orleans, LA, USA
lol, Im not sure when this took a turn for the worst. I see you guys are trying to run this in the easy deb environment. I'm not the type to stifle another man's creativity, but I don't see the point. I believe I provided all the deps in the original libs archive, a simple addition to your dynlib config path would have you running a relatively quick version of blender natively in maemo with no overhead, and my latest build with a few tweaks is actually usably fast. I posted a new video on my youtube page and my blog. Still working on the wrapper, but its a very slow process, as Im learning opengl in order to figure out why the "remapped" functions and variables aren't working.

Right now the source is a total hackjob, but if I get anywhere Ill post what i've got. I noticed someone mentionied the gles lib that incorporates a lot of the missing opengl func that was stripped out of gles. Anyone give that a shot with the blender source? My scratchbox environment is too customized to even attempt a new build without cleaning it up and losing my progress. If someone has the time to try it and let me see the build output logs, that could be a huge help.

Last edited by shinkamui; 2010-03-14 at 16:40.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by shinkamui View Post
I believe I provided all the deps in the original libs archive, a simple addition to your dynlib config path would have you running a relatively quick version of blender natively in maemo with no overhead
that's not exactly true - blender won't run without libopenal, and the package linked in this thread (i assume that's the one you use as well) has dependencies not easily satisfied in native maemo, hence me trying under easy debian first.

The Following User Says Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Any news on Blender for maemo? Long time no info...

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Orleans, LA, USA
Haven't really been working on it, though I will report that with the N900 running at 900mhz with my tweaks to blender, Im seeing usable fps, even just with the software renderer. I will bundle up the source for both my blender build, and the gl library headers and source that have been modified, but this is a ***** ton of work for anyone who wants to try and make use of it. Will post some new links in the next few days when I get a chance.

Thats great news! It should be even more stable after PR1.2 gets released (if only it will) The future seems promising. Good luck, hope to hear from you soon!

Cheers,
Ralph

Question: What is the purpose of this?

Let me just explain my own hopes before I give my critique. I do modeling and animation with blender, and I have a high end desktop that can not only render rather complex scenes and animations rather quickly, but runs blender much more smoothly than the N900 ever could. I don't really understand why you'd want to run Blender solely on the N900, just using it appears to crawl. A render would take forever, eat battery, and isn't this thing supposed to take and make phone calls? A cheaper desktop would do all of the work faster.

Which brings me to my point. Why not just use X11 forwarding? I doubt many people interested in using Blender don't already use it on a desktop connected to the internet.

If you're not familiar with X11 forwarding with ssh, it essentially allows one computer to run a program, but for another computer to simply display the output (similar to VNC, but just a single application, rather than the desktop). Here is a quick example I made using GIMP on the N900:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLR9z2kuR1E

Running is through ssh would get rid of a lot of the library dependency issues (since blender would be running on a separated system, like my desktop powerhouse), and then the sole issue is the OpenGL wrapper.

Mind you, that isn't an easy task, but at least it's straightforward, compared to attempting to cross compile various libraries. The only downside I see this way, is the Original Poster can't fufill his want of using the Game Engine to develop for the n900 (although I doubt it would have worked out well even with the armel version).

TL;DR: Running a 3D graphics suite on a phone is silly, SSH is a better solution.

Last edited by QXQ; 2010-06-12 at 12:06.

I would like very much to have blender on my n900.

MyPaint is working very fine on n900 too and I like it very much.

Blender on n900 is not meant to replace a complete production system.

But you could arrange some interesting moving sceneries in free nature. You have everything in your hand. You don't hear the noise of big computers. You can work where you want.

There is no necessity that blender works in the highest framerates. After the work you can transfer your artistic creation to a big computer.

The n900 has hardware 3d graphic accelearation.
This should allow to render simple blender sceneries.

The big arrangement of all the little sceneries can be done on a big computer.

But before a big computer I don't have as much phantasy as I have with my little n900 sitting next to a litte river under a tree.

Another advantage of blender on n900 could be the simple presentation of scenaries on the TV of my neighbour.

The files listed in these links are not available without a username and password? Could someone help me find these?

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
I think the original goal was developing and playing Blender games on the N900; being able to use Blender for general 3d work is just a very welcome bonus (the video editor part would also be an awesome resource to have)

Btw, regarding the wrapper, do you got a roadmap of what you already acomplished and what you still need to work on?