Active Topics

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I (sadly) finally got rid of my N810 and the sole reason was because of some of the slowness around tasks that I would use started seeming slower and slower. Not that it was slowing down, but my cellphone (Samsung Captivate) was gaining on it's functionality.

Loved the screen better than the N900, loved the form factor better than the N900... would have KILLED for a CPU update and would have loved for 3D integration and/or utilization. The N810 was superior in all but processing power to the N900 imho.

Sadly what I'm using to replace it - either my Captivate or my iPad - don't really come close to it.
I agree on EVERY point. I only ever pull out my N800 when I feel like scratching a specific itch that only the N800 might be able to scratch.. but that's also increasingly less and less as times goes on and I've really gotten both of my Android devices to do more and more.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
From the moment I purchased my N810 I kept hoping that they would at least get a version of Skype working with the camera. Or the camera working at all. Or the gps system working reliably! I have been pulling it out about every 6 months & checking the current OS version to see if I can flash it to a more current release. No action there for quite awhile... Now I see the Mer project has been mothballed and Meego (its replacement) is not going to be available for anything prior to the N900. Guess I will see if I can locate all of the original packing materials and sell it on E-Bay since it seems to be relegated to official Persona non Grata status by both Nokia and Maemo.

The Following User Says Thank You to TimeLord For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 105 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Finland
I use my N810 for all my openstreetmap mapping I do with the car, screen is nice and large.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 59 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ / Puerto Rico/ Arecibo
im here people the N810 still alive and kikin we need more suppoort for everything N810 related fix it all i love all the apps u guys make a good allaround device just gotta fix more bugs i could use some tips on why i keep loosing internal memory space dont know why i need all kids of tips

About eneitten usr XD

Operating System
Maemo4 (Penguin SMASHING windows lmbo]
Mobile Phone
it doesnt matter i still gotta wait to get a nokia what else...,,,,waiting..,,,,,,
Handhelds
15 months N810 all day everyyyyyy day thats it!!: g eek:

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Westchester, NY, USA
Hello all,

I've been lurking for a bit and just joined. I haven't found posts that really address my question. I don't have an n810 but am thinking of purchasing one. I've wanted one for a while, but until recently they've been out of my price range. Now they're more affordable and I'm around wi-fi more often than not.

Here's my question: Given that I have no coding experience and am a long way from being a computer geek, would an n810 still be good for me? My needs are fairly simple: web browsing and checking e-mail. Simple word processing would be great, but is not a requirement. Being an Opera freak, I'd love to install that if it's not beyond my capabilities.

So, what do you all think? Is the n810 something I can use out of the box or do I need to be skilled in Linux to use and appreciate tis beauty? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Anton

Originally Posted by jmcd565 View Post
Given that I have no coding experience and am a long way from being a computer geek, would an n810 still be good for me? My needs are fairly simple: web browsing and checking e-mail. Simple word processing would be great, but is not a requirement. Being an Opera freak, I'd love to install that if it's not beyond my capabilities.
I've had my n800 for a bit and though it has its shortcomings, it does email and browsing very well. You may have to look up mobile versions of sites that you use a bit, but you'll probably like it just fine. Opera is a cinch to install.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ordinary For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Westchester, NY, USA
I figure since I'm set on buying an 810, the least I could do is fill this out. Also, as someone else mentioned, in spite of being legacyware/outdated/etc. The n810 still seems to be the best IT available at its present price point, abt $125US on ebay.

Please use this form:

* I have a (N800 or N810 or N810W)

Planning on buying an n810.

* I'm interested to see and use (fill in) on my device

Light web browsing and email. Certainly my needs are more modest than ChiaOwl's..... The main concern is that if I have 5 minutes of down time, I can whip out my n810 and do 4 min 30 sec. of surfing and e-mail. i CAN'T do that with my windows netbook...

* I'm willing to contribute with (finish the sentence)

I can be a guinea pig to see if software is ready for end users who can 'follow the bouncing ball' for instructions but can't do more than that (not tech-savvy enough).

* If (fill in) would happen, I would then be able to do (fill in)

see above and my previous post.

Thanks again,

Anton

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
jmcd565:

For email, at least if you use webmail, it's fine. (It may be fine for more than webmail, I know only about webmail since it's all I've used for years on even on my desktop computer.) I use tear (yet another browser) for GMail, with a link specifically for Webkit browsers:

https://mail.google.com/mail/x/gdlakb-/gp/?shva=1

Opera Mobile runs very nicely, and it's easy to install it.

I use tear for speed and GMail; Opera for some websites; and, if I have to download or install something, microb (the default browser).

I hope you enjoy your new N810. I still think the devices are pretty cool.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
I use tear (yet another browser) for GMail, with a link specifically for Webkit browsers:

https://mail.google.com/mail/x/gdlakb-/gp/?shva=1

I tried this link in tear, and in microB using the webkit-eal engine. It's awesome!
Are their more webkit friendly versions of common websites? Also, is there a way I could tell either browser to default to webkit friendly versions if available?

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Summerside, PEI, Canada
Very late to the thread here and haven't participated much in the forums since internettablettalk redirected here. Always found this layout more difficult to navigate and sort of lost interest.

I have an N810 that I bought as soon as it was released and hubby bought an iPod Touch at the same time so the two could "fight it out" and we'd see which one was the better buy. For the first year or two, N810 won in both our minds because it did so much more.

The one program I can't live without is xournal. I use the N810 for handwritten notes and also for signing documents while on the road. For all that iPod touches do now, it still can't do that. I also much prefer the physical keyboard to apple's on screen keyboard, so when it comes to email from a pocket device, it's either the N810 or the E71 Nokia smartphone. Never, ever the iPod touch, which I don't really like for anything other than games.

So what I'm mostly interested in for maintenance/future development is taking advantage of the handwriting features and paperless office concept and basic connectivity for things like email/twitter/web/chat. The N810 even outperforms the iPad (which hubby has) in terms of pdf annotation. I have an Entourage Edge dual screen LCD/e-ink tablet that is developing nicely but quite large and 3 lbs. I think its "Journal" program is probably some variation of xournal, just running on an e-ink screen. The N810 is pocketable and easier to always have on me for just running around doing errands, so it still sees some playing time.

I'm not a developer, so no technical skills. But I'm a notch above "user" and follow directions well. Hubby's a developer, so if I get him interested I can ask for help if I flounder.

Anyway, just wanted to add my voice to those who are still using their N810, even years later!

The Following User Says Thank You to sarah11918 For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo4, nokia n800, nokia n810