Active Topics

Notices

Very nice. I've scanned a couple dozen books and entered them into my database.

Now my problems are no longer related to the lack of a barcode reader. I still need to peel off barcode stickers when the bookshop used their own system instead of the ISBN, and try and make my Perl script grok Amazon locales, since a lot of my books are French, but not all.

A couple comments on this latest update of mbarcode:

This doesn't appear (usually?) when scanning a couple barcodes, but mbarcode sometimes hangs when going back from the Results window. Interacting with the interface wakes it up after a few seconds, or maybe it wakes up on its own anyway? This is annoying but can be worked around, and anyway it beats reading ISBNs one by one, by miles.

Sometimes after a successful scan and return from Results, the scanner will re-read the latest frame it had (apparently), and since it's in focus and has a valid barcode (since it was scanned last time...), it's immediately scanned. This produces duplicate barcodes (and slows down the workflow), but nothing that can't be worked around with "cat barcodes.txt | sort | uniq". The problem is of course that if there are actual duplicates, for instance two identical books, they will be lost after deduplication.

The following is output on the console:

Code:
[...]
PythonQTWrapperSink just called clickAction()
X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
  Major opcode: 42 (X_SetInputFocus)
  Resource id:  0x3e00069
QPainter::begin: A paint device can only be painted by one painter at a time.
[...]
Overall, I am quite happy with the current incarnation of mbarcode. Thank you!

The Following User Says Thank You to fga For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fga View Post
Very nice. I've scanned a couple dozen books and entered them into my database.
Cool

A couple comments on this latest update of mbarcode:

This doesn't appear (usually?) when scanning a couple barcodes, but mbarcode sometimes hangs when going back from the Results window. Interacting with the interface wakes it up after a few seconds, or maybe it wakes up on its own anyway? This is annoying but can be worked around, and anyway it beats reading ISBNs one by one, by miles.
Yes, I thought I'd got rid of that problem. It's caused because it's the results window which does the processing and calls the plugin, but if we have the "run first plugin" checkbox enabled, we don't really need/want to show the results window.

ATM the camera pipeline is suspended when results window is going to be displayed, but if it's hidden too quickly the main video widget gets confused and thinks it's still hidden (presumably because the event hasn't had time to be delivered, but I don't really know.) To work around this I've delayed the results window from being hidden by iird 1000ms, but perhaps I should increase this a bit to ensure that hide & expose events get propagated.

Sometimes after a successful scan and return from Results, the scanner will re-read the latest frame it had (apparently), and since it's in focus and has a valid barcode (since it was scanned last time...), it's immediately scanned. This produces duplicate barcodes (and slows down the workflow), but nothing that can't be worked around with "cat barcodes.txt | sort | uniq". The problem is of course that if there are actual duplicates, for instance two identical books, they will be lost after deduplication.
This is probably easier to fix - assuming you're doing the "press shutter button to scan" method, I should just be able to explicitly stop the scanning as soon as the results window is shown (previously this wasn't a problem as showing the results window would pause the video pipeline, it looks like this doesn't actually happen sometimes if the plugin is automatically called.)

Overall, I am quite happy with the current incarnation of mbarcode. Thank you!
I'm glad it's of use to you

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Cool
Yes, I thought I'd got rid of that problem. It's caused because it's the results window which does the processing and calls the plugin, but if we have the "run first plugin" checkbox enabled, we don't really need/want to show the results window.

ATM the camera pipeline is suspended when results window is going to be displayed, but if it's hidden too quickly the main video widget gets confused and thinks it's still hidden (presumably because the event hasn't had time to be delivered, but I don't really know.) To work around this I've delayed the results window from being hidden by iird 1000ms, but perhaps I should increase this a bit to ensure that hide & expose events get propagated.
I've changed the timeout here to be a bit longer, so hopefully his won't happen any more.

This is probably easier to fix - assuming you're doing the "press shutter button to scan" method, I should just be able to explicitly stop the scanning as soon as the results window is shown (previously this wasn't a problem as showing the results window would pause the video pipeline, it looks like this doesn't actually happen sometimes if the plugin is automatically called.)
Looks like you're doing continuous scanning actually, and I see this issue too. I'm going to have to do some digging to see why it's being caused (whether it's a decoder thread issue, or something in the higher level code). In the meantime you could select "Press shutter button to scan" and use the space bar to start the scanning.

As an aside, I've added a kb shortcut to perform autofocus when you press the enter key (as this was troublesome when I was testing the continuous scanning).

I'll have a think about how to fix the double scan business then push an update as the autobuilder has woken up now

Last edited by lardman; 2011-01-02 at 19:33.

Right, I've fixed the double scan problem by adding a 100ms pause before scanning recommences after finding a barcode, this is short enough (I hope) to not be annoying, but long enough for the GStreamer video pipeline to clear any remaining frames of the barcode so you shouldn't get double scans any more (fingers crossed! )

version 0.3.0-3 should be in Extras-devel soon (once it's finished building on the autobuilder). Let me know if you have any more troubles

how about adding the functionality to bring up a scanable copy of bar code stored, for example, membership/loyalty card at grocery stores. See the following iphone apps.
http://www.usefultools.com/2009/11/a...alty-card-app/
http://www.usefultools.com/2009/08/l...p-the-savings/

That's not really what mBarcode does - mBarcode allows you to scan a barcode and use the data it contains, those apps simply store an image of the barcode on your loyalty card and allow you to scan the image on your screen at the shop rather than needing the card.

You could do this by just taking a picture of the barcode and scanning the right one as displayed by the Images application. Certainly it might be a useful app (though I only have one card that has a barcode, for Tesco, all the others have magnetic strips), but afaict it's not something mBarcode can help you with. Sorry.

What would be cool though, would be to use the location services to know which shop you're in and automagically present the right barcode image

When i do a scan and then go to the "Rating from Informed Individual" when i tap on Open Web Browser nothing happens, also I see "Type or paste verification code" What is the verification code... Thanks

Originally Posted by flexman View Post
When i do a scan and then go to the "Rating from Informed Individual" when i tap on Open Web Browser nothing happens, also I see "Type or paste verification code" What is the verification code... Thanks
I've no idea, that's Dragly's plugin. Dragly?

version 0.3.0-3 should be in Extras-devel soon (once it's finished building on the autobuilder). Let me know if you have any more troubles
I will... but right now I've had to put a lot of my stuff in hiatus as I've just started my new job, and I'm busy with a lot of things, none of which include testing interesting stuff on my personal phone, sadly

I'll get back to you once things calm down and I can resume cataloguing my library. Do you use your bugtracker or is this thread the preferred means of communication?

The Following User Says Thank You to fga For This Useful Post:
I will... but right now I've had to put a lot of my stuff in hiatus as I've just started my new job, and I'm busy with a lot of things, none of which include testing interesting stuff on my personal phone, sadly
I know that feeling, I'm also going to be pretty busy this month I imagine, which coincides with my N900 giving up the ghost, so good timing all in all.

I'll get back to you once things calm down and I can resume cataloguing my library. Do you use your bugtracker or is this thread the preferred means of communication?
Either is fine, I check both.

Good luck with your new job!

Tags
barcode, camera, mbarcode