Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
Cannot we create our own phone app, and symlink from the original executeable? Is there anything an average developer cannot implement, like some encryption? As I understand there are a bunch of apps that make the phone app work, not all of them need to be replaced just the call answering screen.

The Following User Says Thank You to zdanee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 255 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by zdanee View Post
Cannot we create our own phone app, and symlink from the original executeable?
Wut? What good would a phone app of our own be if you can't make phone calls with it?

The Following User Says Thank You to WereCatf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by WereCatf View Post
Wut? What good would a phone app of our own be if you can't make phone calls with it?
All I want to change is the answering screen, and as far as I know the phone function is actually several apps and one of them is the answering screen. If we can write our own version of it probably we can make it stay in memory thus we can answer calls even on heavy CPU loads. I dont know, how these apps communicate with eachother, D-bus or pipes or whatever, but probably we can recreate and integrate it without replacing the app that handles the actual calls and stuff. Or maybe I'm completely wrong, but if we can create our own version, we wont be tied down to the closed-source default app.

BTW why wouldnt we be able to make calls with our own phone app? I'm sure as long as you are connected to the cellular network it is just sending a bunch of numbers probably well documented somewhere. Also there was the OpenMoko project and the Neo 1973 and Freerunner. Their software is completely open source (and based on linux). We can just check out their phone functions.

Last edited by zdanee; 2011-01-25 at 22:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to zdanee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
IIRC the problem is not just that call UI is closed, it is that the OS is inextricably tied to the proprietary apps from Nokia (i.e. call UI, media player, HAM). So even if you were to develop an alternate call UI it would likely not tie into the rest of the UX properly or perhaps not work at all.

Thankfully, these problems appear to be nonexistent in Meego.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:

Tags
e.t phone home