Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
why would one need a youtube client? pointless. a bookmark is enough.
SHHHH!

dont say anything to android and iphone users! they still think that you have to have an application for everything....

The Following User Says Thank You to ceroberts75 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ceroberts75 View Post
SHHHH!

dont say anything to android and iphone users! they still think that you have to have an application for everything....
Having the option of a dedicated app alongside in-browser abilities is not exactly a daft thing to possess.

It's better than having a browser that - if it requires Flash - that might become outdated or a third party app that might get updates in lieu of an outdated browser that might not support HTML5 or Flash video fully.

Not having that as an option is pretty dumb. And if you don't want the app, don't install it nor use it. Root Explorer or Astro... viola. Uninstalled.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
sure it's not like a real computer but having an application for Youtube is great since it means my phone doesn't slow down to snail pace...

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by ceroberts75 View Post
SHHHH!

They're just as bad as those who don't understand the benefit of mobile-optimized apps.

Spoken out of ignorance.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2011-02-03 at 18:36.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Maybe you can pose the same question to the (at least) 206 users here

The Following User Says Thank You to jstokes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by Clubberlang View Post
I am presuming nokia is launching this with a fully functional app for navigation and a media player..
Also, don't make the mistake of assuming that both you and Nokia have the same definition of what a "fully functional" app is.

For instance Nokia's definition of Navigation for the N900, seems to be pretty different than a lot of the users' definition. Maps is "functional" under a particular set of circumstances, but isn't very user friendly, or in fact very usable at times.

Posts: 490 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hannover-Germany-EU-Earth
why would i like to have an app for youtube?

without an app, you have to (1. page) load the youtube site, then (2.) search for the clip you want to watch, then (3.) klick on the link of the clip and then it opens inside the browser (and a last klick to watch the clip in fullscreen). so, until the clip is playing you have 3 pages that has to be loaded, and this takes some time.

with an app, you start the app and type in the keywords you are searching for. now the app goes online and shows you the results. a single klick and the clip is opened in your player (not in the browser). This method is way more faster with less data consumption.

IMO an app for youtube is very usefull, especially for people who dont have a full flatrate for their device (i have just 300mb via 3g, after this its speed is going down to 2g speed; like many more in germany)

Last edited by Brock; 2011-02-03 at 18:29.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brock For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
Sorry if this is a noob question, but I though most of the apps on maemo 5 could be easily ported to meego?
That's the hope, particularly with the Qt apps. But it still requires someone to care enough to do it. And we hope that Nokia will make things developer-friendly enough that developers won't waste too much time fighting with their software.

The Following User Says Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
The N900 has a YouTube application, and the improved QtQuick/QML version is coming soon.

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Clubberlang View Post
Hello,

like everyone here I am waiting for the N9 announcement. Before I choose this phone over an Android handset I'd like to know that there are some third party apps available. I am presuming nokia is launching this with a fully functional app for navigation and a media player...but how about an Office App, Ebook reader and Youtube client? How about third party games? I seriously don't want to have to wait around for things to be released like with the n900/
My guess is that all apps written in QT for N8/E7/C7/N900 will be avaible from scratch.

Theyr using the same developoment framework...