Notices

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by WereCatf View Post
All my camera applications stopped working. Didn't notice anything else though. Camera is pretty important to me though so I reverted back to regular kernel-power.
Oi, the proper solution is reinstalling the FCam driver using apps. (meaning, uninstall all FCam using apps, then reinstall all FCam using apps.) Then reboot. No need to downgrade (depending on how much risk you want to take that something somewhere doesn't update right, I'm pretty sure you can skip the reboot. Alternatively on the really safe side, you can stick another reboot between the uninstall and reinstall),

Posts: 255 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Oi, the proper solution is reinstalling the FCam driver using apps. (meaning, uninstall all FCam using apps, then reinstall all FCam using apps.) Then reboot. No need to downgrade (depending on how much risk you want to take that something somewhere doesn't update right, I'm pretty sure you can skip the reboot. Alternatively on the really safe side, you can stick another reboot between the uninstall and reinstall),
Alright, thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
Could someone help me to create a boot option in multiboot for this kernel?

I place zImage-2.6.28-maemo46-wl1 in /boot/multiboot
and created 02-maemo46-wl1.item in /etc/multiboot.d/ with the following info:

ITEM_NAME="Maemo Kernel wl1"
ITEM_KERNEL="2.6.28-maemo46-wl1"
ITEM_MODULES=ext3

It shows in multiboot menu but when i load it i get:

Can't flash kernel, required files not find
this is the problem i am having did you manage to get it sorted ¬

Originally Posted by one1002 View Post
multiboot works..i can now multiboot :

1. maemo-kernel omap1
2. kernel 2.6.28.10power46
3. kernel 2.6.28.10power46-wl1 (packet injection!!!!!!!!!!!!yeahh!!)
4. NITDroid
been trying for days now to get it like that but every time i install kernel 2.6.28.10power46-wl1 it overwrites kernel 2.6.28.10power46 any ideas were im going wrong

Last edited by stevomanu; 2011-01-31 at 14:30.

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Actually, no. There's NO moral difference, it's still stealing. By pirating software, you are taking away something that the owner legally has: The right to sell his craft.
Wrong. Under capitalism, no one has the right to sell anything. That would require someone to be obligated to buy it. One has only the right to offer something for sale, which is not the same as the right to sell it.

Suppose I walked into a book store with a hand scanner, picked up a book, scanned the whole thing in, and then left. Is that theft? They still have their original.
Right, that would be fine in my book <G> Not stealing.

What if I made a replicator, then walked into a museum and replicated all of Van Goghs works. Would the originals retain their value, as I stood outside making free identical replicas for everyone to take home with them?
Of course they wouldn't retain their (commercial) value. There is nothing wrong with that. Value is governed by SUPPLY/DEMAND, NOTHING else - not the amount of skill or effort that went into producing something, nor it's beauty or performance.

Just because the result of a craft is a virtual item that can be easily replicated at little/no cost doesn't make it legal to steal it. Your "going home and making one just like it" analogy is also false, as it implies everyone is looking at his work, then going home and writing their own code to do something similar. That's not what's happening here. They're using his code, code he spend time and effort learning, working on, and debugging.
Back to square one. It's not stealing, because there is nothing to steal.
On a related note, it someone DID just look at his code, then went home and wrote their own, then that would be ok? What if they had a really good memory, and could replicate his code almost exactly, would that be ok too? Just how different would someone else's code have to be to not be considered "stealing"? Is your philosophy capable of providing a universal answer? I highly doubt it.

Imagine you spent time learning how to draw exceptional images, and took the time to draw a stunning work, expecting to be paid for it. Then your backer doesn't pay, and you realize you spent lots of time and money doing this, and can't make another without selling that piece.
That's different. I wouldn't "expect to get paid" unless a contract was created prior to me starting the work. Then, if my backer didn't pay, he'd be in breach of contract, legally and morally in the wrong.
If you and I agreed that I would mow your lawn for x amount of money, I would be entitled to said money once I'm finished. But if I just come out of the blue and mow your lawn, I have no right to expect any payment, no matter how much work I put into it, and you are not obligated to pay me, even if you are happy with the work.

Isn't that stealing? How many other artists will take the time to make such images in the future? How likely is that artist to do anything art related in the future? How many beautiful pieces has the world missed out on because people were to cheap to spend a buck on a piece art?
Artists who do art for art's sake will continue to make art. Programmers will continue to write software, for their own use, to adverise their skills, and to make money in related ways such as providing support or customised applications. To say that people wouldn't create "intellectual property" is ridiculous.

The bottom line is this: The only way copying software, music, images, or anything digital is not stealing is if the person that put the effort into that product has specifically given permission to do so, or if it's so old that it's declared "public domain" for lack of ownership (like very old books or music). Trying to justify stealing by saying it's "scene" or that it's not really theft because the owner still has their original is bogus. It's wrong, technically, morally, and in most places legally.
How can it be wrong "technically"?? (Unless you screw it up??) Morally, sorry your opinion doesn't make it so, and legally... well "legally" has to do with who can afford the most lawyers (ehm ehm RIAA, MPAA... you didn't REALLY think all that money goes to the artists for their hard work, did you??)...so that means nothing, really.

Originally Posted by nman View Post
Wrong. Under capitalism, no one has the right to sell anything. That would require someone to be obligated to buy it. One has only the right to offer something for sale, which is not the same as the right to sell it.

Of course they wouldn't retain their (commercial) value. There is nothing wrong with that. Value is governed by SUPPLY/DEMAND, NOTHING else - not the amount of skill or effort that went into producing something, nor it's beauty or performance.

On a related note, it someone DID just look at his code, then went home and wrote their own, then that would be ok? What if they had a really good memory, and could replicate his code almost exactly, would that be ok too? Just how different would someone else's code have to be to not be considered "stealing"? Is your philosophy capable of providing a universal answer? I highly doubt it.

That's different. I wouldn't "expect to get paid" unless a contract was created prior to me starting the work. Then, if my backer didn't pay, he'd be in breach of contract, legally and morally in the wrong.
If you and I agreed that I would mow your lawn for x amount of money, I would be entitled to said money once I'm finished. But if I just come out of the blue and mow your lawn, I have no right to expect any payment, no matter how much work I put into it, and you are not obligated to pay me, even if you are happy with the work.

Artists who do art for art's sake will continue to make art. Programmers will continue to write software, for their own use, to adverise their skills, and to make money in related ways such as providing support or customised applications. To say that people wouldn't create "intellectual property" is ridiculous.

How can it be wrong "technically"?? (Unless you screw it up??) Morally, sorry your opinion doesn't make it so, and legally... well "legally" has to do with who can afford the most lawyers (ehm ehm RIAA, MPAA... you didn't REALLY think all that money goes to the artists for their hard work, did you??)...so that means nothing, really.

Used pirated version, donated.

Just pay the man for his f**king hardwork. It will encourage him do more cool stuff.

Facts:
  • This has been pushed upstream and so will trickle down for free anyway.
  • The source is available, you could have patched, compiled and deb'ified your own copy at any time.
  • Only the early adopters have payed AND they chose how much!

Why shouldn't a man receive financial remuneration for his earned skills?

Maybe you are going to code an even better packet injection driver and release it outright...No? I thought not.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
@ lxp, since you are in the Euro-zone, are you able to give an IBAN/BIC/etc. codes to send you cash directly? Save giving Paypal their undeserved cut.

Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Used pirated version, donated.

Just pay the man for his f**king hardwork. It will encourage him do more cool stuff.
LOL, I donated and got my driver a while ago. thanks tho.

Originally Posted by stevomanu View Post
this is the problem i am having did you manage to get it sorted ¬

been trying for days now to get it like that but every time i install kernel 2.6.28.10power46-wl1 it overwrites kernel 2.6.28.10power46 any ideas were im going wrong
here's how i did it:

- Install wl1 using this method ->
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...062#post914062
(credit goes to HtheB)

- Install power 46 using this method ->
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=12
(credit goes to miyo.fayad)

- Got to etc/multiboot.d, there is an item "01-Maemo-kernel-power46".. change the numbering to 02

##if u reboot now, u will have guru error for kernel power46-wl1 becoz the kernel power46 overwrite the wl1 files

- Go to pc, extract file kernel-power-modules_2.6.28-maemo46-wl1_armel.deb using 7zip

- copy folder "2.6.28.10power46-wl1" in kernel-power-modules_2.6.28-maemo46-wl1_armel/lib/modules/

- go to lib/modules on ur phone, paste and replace the folder "2.6.28.10power46-wl1"

- reboot

then u will have

1. omap (stock kernel)
2. power46-wl1 kernel
3. power46 kernel
5. backup menu

hope this helps

The Following User Says Thank You to bleu_huh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Wrong. Under capitalism, no one has the right to sell anything.
Way to pick semantics. My point was that the creator gets to offer his work for the price of their choosing. By pirating, you remove that right by paying nothing.

I'd bet that book stores and the author or the work would say otherwise. In fact, Google had just this issue with scanning books, was taken to court over it, and would have lost (which is why they settled for a huge fine out of court). Legally, it is stealing.

Value is governed by SUPPLY/DEMAND, NOTHING else - not the amount of skill or effort that went into producing something, nor it's beauty or performance.
And that's where you're wrong. If you were right, hookers would be free. They're not. They're paid for their work, since they technically sell no tangible product outside of "beauty or performance".

Value can be influenced by supply and demand, but neither is the predictor or creator of value. Value is place by the creator of a good, and the market reacts accordingly. If the value is too low, there's a run on the supply until demand is met or supply is exhausted, which then drives up the value in resale. If the value is to high, pent up demand exists and a market for a competitor is formed.

At no point does supply and demand itself set the value. Nor at any time does those in the demand side get to choose the value of the supply. Their choice is weather or not to purchase from the supply for the cost set by the one offering the good. Simply taking the good without paying any cost for an item that has a value set on it is called theft.

In this particular case, the author has asked people to pay what they see as a fair value, which is somewhat risky. But in any case, taking and using that code for free is still theft, since if you value it enough to use it, it clearly has value to you, for which you did not pay.

For me, the value of the driver is negligible. I'll probably never actually use packet injection, and the other enhancements are pretty minor. For me, that means I paid a token amount for the privilege of having the driver in the event I do need it later.

Except the work put into creating it.

Actually... My philosophy is quite well understood. There are even terms for it. Including terms like "reverse engineering" and "patent". This isn't "my philosophy", by the way. It and other philosphies of trade were documented long ago by several people who's names you may have heard, including Hume, Smith, Marx, and the like. This particular philosophy was documented by Hume and Smith, and is the predominant form we today call Capitalism.

Reproducing a non-unique idea would be quite acceptable. In fact, in doing so you would then be able to offer that product for a price you found reasonable (including for free). Had someone created an alternative module and offered it for free, so be it. A good example being Sygic, OVI maps, and the flurry of open source mappers here. Nobody is screaming that people using Navit or modRana is stealing from Syigic.

Reproducing a unique work, where the idea had not been conceived of before, and more importantly that you would have not come up with yourself, is slightly different. That's where the concept of patents come in. And reproducing an exact duplicate of someones work (even from memory) is also wrong. The concept of copyright is derived from this.

That's different. I wouldn't "expect to get paid" unless a contract was created prior to me starting the work.
Perhaps you missed the entire point of the thread... In this case, the author was under contract, and the contractor did breach that contract. It would have been very difficult to recover anything from the contractor though, so instead the author ask if people would be willing to pay something for his work to help compensate for his time in exchange for releasing it.

Understand, he was under no obligation to release it. But he did because people here were willing to help compensate him for it. Then people started offering copies of his work for free, and made disparaging remarks against him for attempting to get money for his work. That's the stem of this entire debate. The fact that you don't know that shows you're not even paying attention to whats happening in this thread.

And how exactly do artists eat? If people don't pay for beauty or work as you stated above, how would artists make a living? How would programmers making "customized applications" make money? After making sad application, it's intangible and there for free, isn't it? Your whole premise is contradicted by your own statement here, since you're talking about someone paying for a custom application, or providing support, which are both forms of work.

Maybe it's not "my philosophy" that need questioning here, but yours. You just detailed two instances of where someone should be paid for their work. Why is it ok to pay for work sometimes, and not at others? How do you decide which work is valid and should be paid for and which isn't? It's clearly not the tangibility of the goods (as you've already stated), since there is nothing tangible when it comes to support or programs (no matter how custom they are).

How can it be wrong "technically"?? (Unless you screw it up??) Morally, sorry your opinion doesn't make it so, and legally... well "legally" has to do with who can afford the most lawyers
So by your definition, murder isn't wrong as long as you murder people that you think it's ok to kill, and that can't afford lawyers (or at least who's surviving relatives can't afford them). Nice morals and legal system you have there. Remind me to never visit you.

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Not paying for a service is different from stealing a physical object, and both are different from copying a number.

Tags
driver, injection, wl1251