Posts: 219 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Yep, Wiki is a great tool. But the more you document there, the more you need to spend time updating the documentation. Documentation in the forum threads is a safer bet for the developers. Of course it would be great if all the documentation would be available in Wiki, but nothing is more annoying than outdated documentation.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Sort of like having http://wiki.maemo.org/ and http://talk.maemo.org/ ?!
Exactly, but without the bits and pieces that cover other releases and different kind of phones. I can imagine that splittings things up might make things more clear for people who start new. For example if I go and look around for information related to the N900 I will not look at parts for N770, N800 or N810. But now all is available on one page.

Of course the experienced users know where to look. But getting new people seems also important (new people could mean new developers)?

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by redman View Post
Exactly, but without the bits and pieces that cover other releases and different kind of phones. I can imagine that splittings things up might make things more clear for people who start new. For example if I go and look around for information related to the N900 I will not look at parts for N770, N800 or N810. But now all is available on one page.
So in your new domain, we'd ditch owners and users of N8x0 and 770 devices?

Of course the experienced users know where to look. But getting new people seems also important (new people could mean new developers)?
Feel free to get involved with those managing the wiki.

Anyway, this is all a bit of a moot point, if/when Nokia withdraw funding, I don't imagine there'll be a problem continuing with the *.maemo.org domains.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
So in your new domain, we'd ditch owners and users of N8x0 and 770 devices?
First of all, I am not talking about ditching anybody.
But about sorting out (nx80.domain.org/n770.domain.org/etc.).
For new users things might be overwhelming.

Feel free to get involved with those managing the wiki.
We already talked about getting involved

Anyway, this is all a bit of a moot point, if/when Nokia withdraw funding, I don't imagine there'll be a problem continuing with the *.maemo.org domains.
Oh, I absolutely agree with you on this.
Getting that clear seems to be a priority.
But that might be something which could take some time.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
No-one's volunteered yet a concrete solution to how to handle donations into a slush fund. Who holds the keys? Who gets to decide how it's spent? What if it isn't spent? How does it get transferred from one council to another? What if another rogue element gets elected to the council who makes a lot of noise before the election, and then does nothing during his term? What if he ran off with the money?

The Council are aware of it (see Tim's post). There's about to be another election, but I see no reason why interested community members couldn't start coming up with a proposal. And I mean a proper proposal rather than just "duh, open a PayPal account". The Council are volunteers, we're not supposed to do everything, after all!
Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't mind coming up with an idea... actually i already wrote my main idea down a couple of posts back. Not very extensive but still.

I don't know exactly how the Council are working. I do not either have any experience in "internet organizations" where it is hard to meet in person. Although i have seated many years as a board member in the local union and non-profit organizations.

If the Council is organized as a board then we could use that structure to be able to enable funding through donations.

This structure could look different depending on country.

* One of the Council members are the cashier (elected within the council).
* Must always need two peoples signature when money are withdrawn from account. (normally cashier & chairman)
* The two/three who have access to the account need to sign an agreement/contract. The access will terminate after a year.
* The cashier note all debit and credit. (in and out flow)(gdoc maybe?)
* Every month the cashier make an annual report (preferably also public). Of what the money have been spent on e.t.c..
* The cashier can not be alone to hold an account (like flattr and similar). There need to be transparency.
* The council after majority vote (more than 50%) decides where the money will go. If Maemo dies it could be donated only to another Open Source project.
* A secure vote system are advised. (for community votes)
* The first thing after a new Council have been elected is to choose a cashier. The old account handlers need to sign another agreement/contract to verify they do not have access anymore.

...this is a couple of points the Council can decide upon. The organizational structure of the Council need to be addressed first. How are the Council going to work in this new environment.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

Last edited by AlMehdi; 2011-02-23 at 13:15.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
I have a simple question for the council.

Can someone ask nokia to provide a price for the closed source parts of the now legacy maemo 5 operating system?

At the very least a cost for the most important parts that we cannot re-write ourselves.

i.e. mce (or whatever the fu.. it is called)
This question.

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
I don't know exactly how the Council are working. I do not either have any experience in "internet organizations" where it is hard to meet in person. Although i have seated many years as a board member in the local union and non-profit organizations.
Thanks for that, I've created http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Council/Community_fund as a proposal based on your post. However, there are still some technicalities that need to be decided on.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
It is no problem to sign up as a non-profit organization. (what i could see)

www.paypal.com >> Signup >> Business >> Website payments standard >> Business type "non-profit organization"

And there can be more than one user to have access. Also it is possible to export to excel..

I agree that this might be best handled by the next council.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
It is no problem to sign up as a non-profit organization. (what i could see)
Except for both PayPal US and PayPal UK they require evidence of your charitable stauts (501(c)(3) or something in the US, and a charity number in the UK). Founding a charity is not easy or "no problem".

And there can be more than one user to have access. Also it is possible to export to excel..
Indeed, very cool. But can we remove access from people? On the mailing list (worth checking) there's been an alternative suggestion:

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...ry/004679.html

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Maybe this has been asked already... but are we at a point where we should consider talks with Nokia and open source foundations/nonprofits (perhaps even the Linux Foundation, a great fit IMO) to see if governance of maemo.org could be assumed by an interested party?

Ok, just found GeraldKo's thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=70316

Last edited by Texrat; 2011-02-26 at 22:35.

Tags
can someone, elopcalypse, unplug him