Active Topics

You have seen the topic of my thread, I just want to install wine and how to use it.

Last edited by shardul; 2011-03-12 at 13:33.

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Egypt
You can't. Wine is only for x86 or x86_64 (obviously). It doesn't emulate the applications, so it can only run on hardware that can execute the applications.

Hint: When asking a question (even one that you expect no reply to), a question mark (this: ?. On a standard QWERTY keyboard, the button for is to the left of the large shift key on the right. It's activated by holding the shift key and pressing said button) is used to denote the end of the sentence, not a fullstop.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jstokes For This Useful Post:
The only way to run wine on the N900 is to rum it on QMEU(?), this has been tried and tested as proof of concept, but is was RREEAAALLYY slow. The videos on youtube showed that even opening up MS NotePad was a painfully slow experience.

Wine will hang in general, and any other application to run on top of that will be practically unusable

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Egypt
Originally Posted by jstokes View Post
Hint: When asking a question (even one that you expect no reply to), a question mark (this: ?. On a standard QWERTY keyboard, the button for is to the left of the large shift key on the right. It's activated by holding the shift key and pressing said button) is used to denote the end of the sentence, not a fullstop.
He phrased the question as a statement correctly, even though he missed a 'know'.

The Following User Says Thank You to scyzor For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by scyzor View Post
He phrased the question as a statement correctly, even though he missed a 'know'.
I realised it was a statement after posting, but I still left my post there because it's rather irritating to see topics that look like HOWTOs but in reality are filled with ****

But wine is in the extra-devel

The Following User Says Thank You to shardul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by shardul View Post
But wine is in the extra-devel
You shouldn't be going into devel unless you know what you are doing. If you don't know what to do with Wine in extras-devel then you probably don't need it. And this has been discussed before, if you want to know more do a search and read through the previous threads about Wine.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
I saw on Youtube videos which show that Wine is indeed working on the N900.

wine is on extras-devel, but is almost useless without a qemu layer, thats the only-for-experts part that doesnt work well, and wine is useless (for mortals) without qemu

Tags
wine ?