Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
I have not logged into nitdroid for a month, mainly because of frequent travelling, been to a different city every 3 - 4 days for the last 3 weeks.

When I am on the road, n900 is my phone, and nitdroid does NOT have phone yet, so maemo only. On top of this, I also learned, unbelievably, the audio problem is because of the power kernel; so I booted into maemo native kernel, and the Voip/skype worked like a gem without the need for ANY modification. I am multiboot, 1st boot, native maemo, 2nd boot, power kernel 45 and 3rd boot, nitdroid.

I booted into nitdroid today, after an absence of about a month, it shot up 28 apps update! Big apps, small apps whatnots 28 of them, I clicked 'update all' by mistake, (I know update 28 apps all at the same time is NOT smart!), it locked up the n900 for a couple of minutes and came back to live and slowly cranked, cranked and cranked, all 28 apps dl ed, installed without a single glitch, and to my surprise did not crash nitdroid! So, under nitdroid, i.e., android on your n900, you will enjoy all the android apps (NOT TRUE for android tablet... yet, see below), with routine update notice, running (here comes stone throwing... ) as smooth as, if not better, maemo. Regular updates, open share of new newly developped uptoday new apps, is that what your n900 supposed to be? Instead of getting it from Nokia, you get now it from nitdroid (or e-yes/drunkdebugger, salute!!!)

I have nitdroid 0.09 installed, it text/IM/surf/facebook/photo/music/video/flash player/wifi/email/ g sensor games/electronic arts games/gamesoft games/, other than camera and phone, there is NO difference between maemo and nitdroid. The advantage, you have ongoing newly released apps, games, and routine updates, that we missed from Nokia . And for the medical apps, there is MORE medical apps on android platform then the ALL of maemo apps combine. I know, this statement hurts the loyal maemo, but it is important for the medical profession to know. We also aware of the fact that each single maemo app are quality solid good apps, and a lot android apps are like apple apps - fart apps. so number does not equate quality

Today, nitdroid 0.09 has been on my n900 for six months, it runs so smooth, and so well, I can recommend without any reservation, it is good enough for running on a daily basis.

I failed to understand why some of us are so upset about nitdroid, just looked the ***** nitdroid tags (disgusting). Their defense, nitdroid is not true linux, nitdroid is not open, nitdroid is this, nitdroid is that. That may be true with android, NOT nitdroid. As android runs only android, nitrdroid runs android and maemo. I look at nitdroid as a natural extension of my n900, breed new life to my n900. Nitdroid to me, is like another n900 apps, install, and have fun with it. To me, if you do not have nitdroid onboard, YOU ARE MISSING A BIG PART of your n900.

Installation with the auto installer was very straight foreward, not until they added the multiboot. The multiboot does make the installation more challange. Hey, even bunanson got it running, you should be able to. If not, there is always help, ammyt's grand nitdroid thread. Even the developer, master e-yes, frequents TMO, just post it here, he will help you.

I also own an android tablet, and is running froyo. This android tablet, yes a dedicated android tablet, is NOT as good as nitdroid. It has 7" screen, louder speaker, bla bla bla, but it has 2 major shortcomings, or something I have not been able to learn how to get around. It crashed at least once a day. No big deal, just annoying. It does not have enough space to install apps. As a results, I have to keep limiting my app installation down to bare minimum, I mean, no fun apps installed, only work apps. This really defeat the purpose of having an android tablet. I want to get into android because of the large amount of apps, but its 256 MB makes life miserable. I hope honeycomb or new breed of 512 MB or 1 G will circumvent this problem. For the time being, nitdroid does NOT have this problem, I have over 150 apps installed, it runs just fine. This is why I believe the nitdroid, yes the step child of android on n900, is in fact better most android tablets today.

apps for the day - I will keep update this thread about interesting apps on nitdroid

Pepid - Emergency Physician suite, a very complete appliations, runs/install smoothly. It has everything you need in an emergency situation, I browse airway, it even teach you how to do as well as with diagram and anatomy! Only if Michael Jackson's physician, a cardiologist, got a N900, running nitdroid with this installed...

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2011-04-11 at 05:13.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 71 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ CT, USA
I never realy got into medical apps that much; I remember when palm pilot became popular for healthcare folks very suddenly. The hospital where I practice has institutional licenses for quite a few resources. The medical library is fully accessible online as well. In fact, the healthcare system to which we belong encompasses three other hospitals, and their resources as online as well. Recently, I was looking into the 2011 Sanford guide, and they're now offering a web based system--I've always used the pocket guide but I thought they had an app for Palm or Apple. I might be wrong on that, but in any case, it seems the trend is away from hardbound references and toward online applications. This was the reason that I got the n900. I wanted a device with a desktop-grade browser for accessing this information. I agree with you on Android--there is an overt negative sentiment here, and it's unwarranted. I've played with my wife's Android tablet and the web experience is fantastic. Copy and paste isn't as elegant as Fremantle, but my diminishing eyesight may soon convince me to look seriously at a 4.3 inch Android.

The Following User Says Thank You to chowdahhead For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chowdahhead View Post
...I've played with my wife's Android tablet and the web experience is fantastic. Copy and paste isn't as elegant as Fremantle, but my diminishing eyesight may soon convince me to look seriously at a 4.3 inch Android.
Most android tablets today are 256 MB, after OS/phone/Maps/Google/misc, you left with 117 MB for app installation. You can tweak the system to install apps on SD to get room, but most 'average' users, like myself, would not know how to do it. And to accomplish this, you need to get root, and NOT all android device are 'rootable',,, maybe a N950 is what WE are waiting for?

bun

I would jump to nitroid if only the calls were working. Using N900 as my primary phone ....

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 179 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Gold Coast, Australia
Cliff Notes Please.

Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
hmmm, you say nitdroid "is good enough for running on a daily basis."
Is the battery management fixed? Can I charge it once a day and use it? Phone/Camera is fine as I can manage with my old n70.

You really make me feel like I am missing out by chickening out and not installing nitdroid

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

If you feel I have helped you, don't forget to press Thanks!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ejasmudar For This Useful Post:
you know you said that your android tablet doesnt hav enough space for apps.
if it supports memory card, you could always use that for installing apps.
root your tablet and install app2SD. this will install all apps directly to SD Card even the cache and everything and you can always change it back. The software is free in the market however you will have to root you tablet

The Following User Says Thank You to tele For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tele View Post
you know you said that your android tablet doesnt hav enough space for apps.
if it supports memory card, you could always use that for installing apps.
root your tablet and install app2SD. this will install all apps directly to SD Card even the cache and everything and you can always change it back. The software is free in the market however you will have to root you tablet
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried app2SD, it 'appears' moved a lot of apps to SD, but the resulting space does not increase much. I dont understand it. It helped to squeeze may be a one or 2 apps more, not much. The one that really work is do it yourself, move all apps to sd and symlink them. It works very well, and give me unlimited space, but when an update come, you have to do it again. For the knows, they tweak this day in and day out, piece of cake. For the uninitiated, I would have to struggle. Bottomline, get a 512 MB.

bun

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
bun, which tablet do you have?

You may be a little confused, 256/512 usually refers to the ram I believe, and doesn't have a bearing on how many apps you can install. It does make a difference to how many apps you can have open and how smooth it runs.

I believe apps2sd works better if you install it first, then install your other apps. You may have to remove then install your apps again to get them to the sd card.

My Huawei S7 has 512mb ram, but only has about 170mb for apps. Rooting was very simple. Thanks to the good folks at androidtablets.net, it was pretty straightforward to setup a new partion and link the data to that partition. Now I've got about 1gb for apps, plenty of space.

If you got nitdroid up and running, I bet with some help you could get your tablet up to snuff as well.

I agree, most won't / can't manage it. The manufacturers should be setting the devices up with larger app partitions as stock. I bet most newer devices will.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
@lemmyslender: I have to admit I am not quite clear what is happening. I have a81e MIDnite tablet. It came with 225 MB "internal storage", at bootup, right after flash, it showed 117 MB, after some essential utility, root, cpu status, rotateD, it became 78 MB, a couple of action games, this "internal storage" may drop down to 21 MB and will refuse to install any more app. Now the killer is the RAM, For some reason, this ram is always around 70 MB, and more apps installed, will also drop this "RAM". I dont know how froyo does RAM with "internal storage", I notice after open a couple of apps, this RAM would drop down to 40 MB, and that is when the tablet goes unstable, crash, freeze, non response. I learned by keep killing running apps and remove apps. I think I may have to flash back to prvious ROM, and do my tweaks. The way I am now using the tablet is a real PITA. If I keep "internal storage" and RAM above 50 MB, it runs and is stable. But I have to keep killing apps and deleting games, this kills the fun of having a dedicated android tablet. I have NONE of these problems with the nitdroid.

bun

Tags
bada rox, nitdroid, pointless appz