Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
And actually, this would be simple for an n900, or any similarly configured device.
Get on it, Maemo! Make it happen!

Although, you have to admit that the effect wouldn't be as impressive or dramatic on that cute, tiny little screen that you see on the N900--or even on slightly bigger but still small screens like the comparatively massive Droid X screen. This really needs a tablet sized screen to "feel" the effect in any meaningful way, I'd imagine.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Yes, this would work. I would include interpolation (perhaps this is what you meant by 'smooth the movement') between frames and set a best-guess based on these accumulated values at some point beyond the rendered frame -- though close enough not to produce discernible lag or strange 'drifting'. I would definitely use the acceleration delta of many of these to help determine the best-guess. Linear interpolation would be acceptable due to the minuscule time-interval between guesses. I would also determine some sort of weighted average based on the differing values to best determine where the device is related to the head and tick at regular intervals.
Exactly right, you could use a well known curve fitting (and predicting) algorithm like least squares. Very fast on these devices when only using about 25 data points per second.

I wonder what the power consumption would be for something like this. The camera would have to be running, but I suppose if the majority of tracking code were DSP, it could be done quite efficiently. My only concern would be the facial recognition.

I expect darker faces would also be more challenging due to the reduced contrast.
These look like two good links from the Viola-Jones object detection framework page.

http://www.cmucam.org/wiki/viola-jones
http://opencloovision.codeplex.com/

Not better than sex, but there's nothin' like a good algorithm cook book!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Not better than sex, but there's nothin' like a good algorithm cook book!
Tell me about it! I've always loved graphical algorithms... Love, love...

Thanks for the links! This is awesome..

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post

Although, you have to admit that the effect wouldn't be as impressive or dramatic on that cute, tiny little screen that you see on the N900--or even on slightly bigger but still small screens like the comparatively massive Droid X screen. This really needs a tablet sized screen to "feel" the effect in any meaningful way, I'd imagine.
There has to be a better video somewhere, but did you ever see lcuk's n900 demo?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post

Screen size and performance are not the same necessarily. A facial tracking based off of the accelerometer can be shown off to good effect on any screen size really provided you keep the screen aspect filled in properly to show it off well.

What's a screen size go to do with this ?

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
There has to be a better video somewhere, but did you ever see lcuk's n900 demo?
I hadn't.. but the only impressive thing there is the display. Using sensors like that isn't particularly impressive anymore. Most of that type of usage has been in VERY common use, like that, on Nintendo Wiimotes, Apple iPhone, Android and so on and so on in a very open way for ages. heheh

Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Screen size and performance are not the same necessarily. A facial tracking based off of the accelerometer can be shown off to good effect on any screen size really provided you keep the screen aspect filled in properly to show it off well.

What's a screen size go to do with this ?
The screen size is what will (or will not) give you the opportunity to really get a sense of the dimensional space. You'll notice I pointed out that it wouldn't be as "impressive" and "dramatic". These are words that tend to be less technical and far more sensory. *whaps upside the head* Pay attention in class.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-04-12 at 23:53.

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Asus Australia post on Facebook:
... the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer will be available in leading national retailers like Harvey Norman and JB HiFi from second week of May. And sorry, we are not taking pre orders.
1 month from now... I can wait right?

I just want confirmation on the price, even with the $AU stronger than $US might be still worth to order from the US like I did with the N900.

Last edited by H3llb0und; 2011-04-13 at 13:09.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:
The first dual screen Android device is out and its a smartphone.
It slides out (like Desire Z) to turn into a mini-tablet (actually more like a MID).

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/13/kyocera-echo-review/

I was expecting poor/average marks, but came away suprised by this review.

What do you guys think, a decent concept or just a gimmick?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
I actually sort of dig this design if they could make some general improvements.

If they could, they should make a successor (e'cho^2).
It should have Dual 800 x 600 SLCD/IPS, at 4.9" size (205ppi).
When opened in landscape it'll be: 1200 x 800 (HD), at 7.0" size (205ppi).

But they also need to make some design improvements such as vurtually trimming off all the bezel (yay!), make it more thinner, and use an aluminium-unibody construct.
Going by such a new design, the phone will still be quite pocketable (130mm x 68mm x 14mm), but remember it'll negate any reason for you to carry a small (<8") tablet which is a big plus.

Also update it to Gingerbread, perfect the dual-tasking software, improve the camera and screen quality, upgrade to Tegra2, and add a larger 1600mAh battery.

Just to show you how portable this tableting-phone could be, see how it compares to the Dell Streak and EVO 4G on these realistic illustrations I just designed:
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/3166/echo2c.png
http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/4233/echo2d.png

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Android has found itself into another device: a universal remote.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/04/conspin-andi-one/

Very, very, cool. This is easily a device I would purchase, as it serves a very useful function.

A smartphone/tablet would be just as good, if all devices supported the same communication framework, which alas, they dont. In the meantime, this seems like great solution and a fierce competitor to Logitech's harmony remote.

Here's hoping the implementation matches the strength of the idea.
n900 has the IR and the wifi part already and I use it with my DSLR. Can this $350 universal remote do that and does it make phone calls

cheers,

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheve For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy