I too would love dual boot with S^3.

s60V5 (n97mini) made me switch to maemo and i swear I would never buy another symbian device at the moment (after being a symbian fanboy since 2002 or so).. but having S^3 to test out as a secondary os would be nice.. theyre still a few programs from symbian that i miss (like ovi maps)
really doubt its gonna happen anyway.. there just isnt enough interest

Last edited by nology; 2011-04-19 at 15:05.

I can't for the love of mahna mahna understand why people want to dual boot to/from from the phone GUI they apparently want to use their phone with. It's like turning off the phone because you want to use MSN, leaving you without either for a few minutes in between. You can either use the one or the other, and only after a reboot. That's not cool when there's features you use in both, probably quite often at the same time. Dual boot has no place in a world of connectivity.

No, my friends, virtualization is the only way forward. Run S^3 AND Maemo, not OR.

Since we're all dreaming here, you all know you're not going to have either, right?

Originally Posted by volt View Post
No, my friends, virtualization is the only way forward. Run S^3 AND Maemo, not OR.
Err.. you realise the overhead of virtualisation is probably a bit taxing for the poor old N900 with 256MB of RAM and "only" a 600Mhz processor? By the time you get to virtualise a guest OS's kernel that is abstracted from the host kernel, you would have filled up the entire memory space (S^3 takes around 128MB straight out of the box on the N8 and Android 2.2 taking about the same) making it thrash the hell out of the virtual memory?

By the time you run it, run another application on top, you would have filled all your memory space. The phone will be unusable from this point onwards with 100% CPU utilisation, 100% RAM utilisation and constant swapping.

The only levels of virtualisation that exists on N900 at the moment properly are the side-by-side stuff that doesnt run as an abstraction space like Easy Debian and Preenv. They both use the same underlying architecture and shared with a guest OS - more like an additional set of libraries on top of Maemo.

Until Nokia releases something better (Dual core, 1GB+ RAM) then theres very little to no hope of using virtualisation as such - hence why VMWare even dropped their mobile virtualisation project for Maemo.

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Could you give a sensible ROM with source code for Symbian^3 ?
I'll be trying a dual boot during vacation...

Moderator | Posts: 3,717 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Could you give a sensible ROM with source code for Symbian^3 ?
I'll be trying a dual boot during vacation...
Well, Symbian is Closed source again...

I do hope someone still has the source

No it 's still open source but needs registration
Gonna fetch it!
To quote Rise Against "I'm sick of waiting for someone else to go"

ANYBODY!!!! I'LL BE COLLECTING TEAM FOR DEV!!!!!!!!!!
In the name of Tux!

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bchliu View Post
Err.. you realise the overhead of virtualisation is probably a bit taxing for the poor old N900 with 256MB of RAM and "only" a 600Mhz processor?
(...)
The only levels of virtualisation that exists on N900 at the moment properly are the side-by-side stuff that doesnt run as an abstraction space like Easy Debian and Preenv. They both use the same underlying architecture and shared with a guest OS - more like an additional set of libraries on top of Maemo.

Until Nokia releases something better (Dual core, 1GB+ RAM) then theres very little to no hope of using virtualisation as such - hence why VMWare even dropped their mobile virtualisation project for Maemo.
Virtualization has existed for many, many years before there even were 600Mhz processors or 256MB RAM. And there are plenty of virtualization solutions on Maemo already. You name two, then there's virtualbox, more emulators, easyMer and what not. Yes, it would be best if you could have direct access to hardware - but this is a linux box. If EasyDeb is possible, EasySym is possible. It was exactly because of EasyDeb that I mention virtualization.

Hi
I'm looking for a team to be porting Symbian^3 as the source code is available.
Any help would be appreciated!!!
If you want to help, just reply!

Last edited by marmistrz; 2011-07-04 at 13:25.

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India, Mumbai
that would be awsome.. please guys help Marmistrz...

Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Hi
I'm looking for a team to be porting Symbian^3 as the source code is available.
Any help would be appreciated!!!
If you want to help, just reply!
Last time I checked, you need to be of particular affiliation with Nokia to obtain the source.

Tags
good thread, i have a dream, more like a, nightmare, road to nowhere, symbian, symbian^3