Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by MetalSer View Post
So I can stream my screen (also just web browsing or something else than video or sound) with vlc?
From your original post, it doesn't seem that VLC streaming is what you want. VNC is the way to go (note: although there's only one letter difference, they're very different apps).

VLC = video player
VNC = remote desktop

If you want to be able to use your N900 remotely on your desktop PC so you can launch apps, check contacts, etc, etc, etc then VNC is definitely the way to go.

Last edited by jedi; 2011-04-19 at 11:56. Reason: typo

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 543 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Kiev, Ukraine
MetalSet, yes you can, but the video will be at best 10fps and it will consume a lot of processor power.
I still can't understand why you don't want to use TV-out? It will stream your desktop, all your applications running etc. You can use TV-tuner (Aver cards works perfectly) and grab TV-output to PC instead of TV.

Okay.

Within a month I have to exhibit my work at school. I am an Industrial Design student. I have made a simple website that shows my product that I want to reach. I want to use my n900 as it is the product but then the n900 is just accessing a website and not some kind of application. I want to let the users play with it during the exhibition but I want to project on the wall what the users are doing with my n900. I just want to achieve something cool to exhibit

Okay I have tried Maemo PC Connectivity but this failed. Now I wanted to try Presence VNC but I just cannot get it to connect. Is it possible that such connections are disabled at the university? I am able to use SSH on this network?

Last edited by MetalSer; 2011-04-19 at 12:15.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
You're only able to remote connect to your PC with Presence VNC.

But you have to connect to yor N900. Not the other way arround. You will need a VNC Server.

Have a look here: http://maemo.org/packages/view/x11vnc/

Search for instructions. And after installing use something like TightVNC on your Desktop to connect to your N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
VNC doesn't got a decent frame rate for complex graphics, it's optimized for GUI interactions. VLC does got video streaming capabilities, and at least on Windows, it also can capture the screen contents live.

The Following User Says Thank You to TiagoTiago For This Useful Post:
I used x11vnc to get what I wanted. Finally.
Thank you all who helped me.
The connection is quite slow, but I don't mind.
I also discovered that I can use VNC and SSH at the same time.
x11vnc has to be launched with terminal:

Code:
x11vnc -ncache 10
Then I connected with TightVNC to the phone.
And it works quite well.

I only get multiple windows within the TightVNC viewer.
Does anybody know how I can get rid of them?

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Canada
If I understand you correctly you are saying that your projector does not accept component input and that is why you don't want to use the tv-out cable. I can assure you that there is a way around that. I'm sure there are projectors that accept component input and I'm also pretty sure that there is hardware out there that can convert your component output into VGA out or whatever it is that your projector is expecting. Good luck achieving your purpose in whichever way you choose to do it.

Okay.

Within a month I have to exhibit my work at school. I am an Industrial Design student. I have made a simple website that shows my product that I want to reach. I want to use my n900 as it is the product but then the n900 is just accessing a website and not some kind of application. I want to let the users play with it during the exhibition but I want to project on the wall what the users are doing with my n900. I just want to achieve something cool to exhibit

Okay I have tried Maemo PC Connectivity but this failed. Now I wanted to try Presence VNC but I just cannot get it to connect. Is it possible that such connections are disabled at the university? I am able to use SSH on this network?

@ abuelmagd

I just do not want to use a cable, because it is a lot 'cooler' to stream wireless.

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Ahmedabad, India
@ abuelmagd

I just do not want to use a cable, because it is a lot 'cooler' to stream wireless.
You should probably go for this phone then or request a developer to get similar feature in N900 !
http://www.newtechnology.co.in/spice...n-price-m9000/

PS: Its priced @ Rs 6000 which is approx 130 USD !

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by abuelmagd View Post
If I understand you correctly you are saying that your projector does not accept component input and that is why you don't want to use the tv-out cable. I can assure you that there is a way around that. I'm sure there are projectors that accept component input and I'm also pretty sure that there is hardware out there that can convert your component output into VGA out or whatever it is that your projector is expecting. Good luck achieving your purpose in whichever way you choose to do it.
The N900 video output is composite, not component.