Poll: Would you buy an N10 with the above spec?
Poll Options
Would you buy an N10 with the above spec?

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Do I need to point out to you that Linux and Maemo are two different things? Maemo isn't Linux. Maemo USES a Linux kernel (a tweaked one, at that). MAEMO is a dead distribution. Linux itself, is doing GREAT and will continue to do so because it has been doing the OPPOSITE of Maemo and continues to be maintained and supported.
Maemo (4 & 5) OS is a Linux mobile distribution, with : kernel, glibc, X Windows, GTK, etc. Android doesn't have glibc, X Windows, etc, so porting the majority of Linux softwares to Android is not easy at all, or even impossible. Android is not a Linux mobile distribution.

Maemo 5 OS has recent kernel power, CSSU, new software releases & updates every week, etc. The community is supporting Nokia N900 & Maemo 5 OS.

...why are people so generally hostile here on Maemo about Android?
Maybe because some people like to put Maemo and Android at the same Linux status, forgetting a lot of "details".

Maybe the Android "multitasking" is so good that sometimes my open softwares in Asus Transformer don't return to the last point used, so I waste time and my patience.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Bigger batteries have always been around since the Motorola Startac days. That's absolutely nothing new.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by caa View Post
I've seen the N10 fan-created concept posted on various blogs, but I was just wondering, would you buy a Nokia N10 with the following features?

(EDIT NOTE: If you would prefer a different spec you can choose the 'Only if it had some other feature' option)

• 4.3inch AMOLED screen (Gorilla Glass, 480 x 800)
  • Single piece Polycarbonate Body as with N9
  • Similar form-factor to Lumia 900
  • 1GHz Dual Core TI OMAP4 Arm Cortex A9 with PowerVR SGX540
  • 1GB LPDDR2 RAM
  • 64GB Flash storage space
  • LTE-ready Modem
  • Larger battery 1830mAh (BP-6EW)
  • Official USB-OTG support with included adapter
  • 8MP camera with Carl Zeiss lens
  • Colour options of only:
    • matte-black
    • glossy white
  • Meego-Harmattan extended beyond N9 PR 1.3 (with better features/performance for web browser and music player app)
    • Possibly with improved interface and swipe 'backstacking' in music player (rather than back-arrow)
  • Handset MRSP Price £599 / $699 / €649
  • OPTIONAL ACCESSORY : Official NFC Attachable/Detachable Hardware Keyboard (availble in black/glossy white). MSRP £59 / $69 / €65
  • OPTIONAL ACCESSORY : Official NFC Attachable/Detachable Gaming Pad (availble in black/glossy white). MSRP £59 / $69 / €65
    • (Attaches to back of handset. Camera lens and flash would have be closer to the corner of handset, keyboard would have gap/notch in the same corner)

EDIT: Any other preferred specs are welcome.
Make changes with the resolution. 480 X 800 is a crappy resolution. For a screen above 4 inch we need HD resolution having PPI of 330

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Do I need to point out to you that Linux and Maemo are two different things? Maemo isn't Linux. Maemo USES a Linux kernel (a tweaked one, at that).

i said gnu/linux not linux, linux kernel by itself is nothing
memo is linux distribution
android is not

All I'd want is a 4.5 inch version my freemantle-running *N900* but with dual core processor at 2 Ghz, 2 Gig of RAM, capacitive touch screen BUT with a pressure sensitive stylus included, and a massive battery that simply doesn't end.

Freemantle - to me - was way better than Harmattan in so many ways, and the only thing that really made the N900 problematic was the underpoweredness of the hardware (too slow, too little ram), the resistive screen (tho I *loved* the pressure sensitivity part of it), and the battery running out way too quick.

Featurewise, I much preffered fremantle.

/Z

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MasterZap For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Battery technology needs to advance to where multi-tasking doesn't hit the battery as hard as it currently does.
Why do so many people believe that multitasking MUST be killing battery life? It's only killing battery life if developers are stupid enough to ignore the "you're now running in the background" message from the OS. Even then, because many apps are almost always merely waiting for some event from the user, network or a timer, they use zero energy. Zilch. None. Have a look at how many processes your pc has active now. And what your CPU load is.

At least the N9/Maemo doesn't require jumping through hoops for app-developers to create background-capable apps. In fact, most of the time developers wouldn't have to do a single thing for it to work - just like on every pc in the world.

From both developer as user standpoint the multitasking on the N9 is excellent, much friendlier than iOS, WP and even Android. In that regard, Symbian does a great job as well.

Last edited by Fuzzillogic; 2012-03-16 at 12:34.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Bigger batteries have always been around since the Motorola Startac days. That's absolutely nothing new.
Yes, but the point was, that battery life is a bad excuse not to have real multitasking in Android, iOS, WP. There could be a global user setting in every mobile OS, for user to select if (s)he allows some or all applications to run in the background or not. For basic users they could easily let be forbidden non-special apps running in bg.

And those who want to run battery consuming applications in the background, can buy a bigger battery, unless design is so stupid as in iPhones, WP-phones and N9; with too complex back cover, that one cannot use 3rd party batteries because it is not practical for (i.e.) Mugen to make those for them.

N9's backside may be pretty, but is unpractical for a heavy user.

Android's, iOS's and WP's way of doing "multitasking" is inferior to Symbian, Maemo, Meego and Tizen.

Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
Why do so many people believe that multitasking MUST be killing battery life?
Then I need better explanations of why my Maemo products have consistently had less battery life than iOS, Android and WP7 and have had similar, if not greater battery mAh capacities.

Let's be honest. Symbian does a great job, but from the ground up, it has enjoyed resources that would make mobile OS's jealous. Teams upon teams, resource upon resource, group upon group of engineers, programmers and managers have worked on Symbian. Yet, here we are that it's an highly efficient OS that's being killed off because of this over-dedication of resources by the current board of directors.

Maemo has always enjoyed a smaller set of resources, engineers, funding and mindshare. Yet... here we are at a Maemo-centric resource. So it must have done something right.

iOS, Android and WP7 - they enjoy huge amounts of resources, engineers, funding and mindshare (WP7 not so much mindshare as the others) - and they all have very flawed, if almost non-existent multi-tasking. But they're great at serial tasking and still have the ability to appear to run many applications at once, yet do not.

Multi-tasking has historically been an intense affair in regards to CPU and OS resources. Now, we take it for granted. And worse... we expect it to work like it does on our 32-bit/64-bit desktop OS - in some cases, it delivers too (read: Maemo). But we have to be honest that also means more CPU and/or RAM usage, and thus a spike in what we need to support that.

Arguing what a programmer should/shouldn't do - we're past that. Either it works well or it doesn't. It is that absolute. So the hardware now becomes the buffer. Either it supports the feature that were programmed as such, or the programmer has to either limit or work within those limitations. Common sense, right? As it should be... so addressing that shouldn't be brought up - we've already accepted that fact of life.

But hardware and battery technology - face it, battery capacity, discharge rates are being outpaced by CPU, GPU and screen technology. I would love a phone that I didn't have to charge up daily and not weigh a ton.

To say that batteries are "up-to-par" with the aforesaid components (OS, screen, CPU/GPU) would be a rather uninformed statement, imho.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Wait a minute, it's certainly not worse than Android 4x or WP7x... iOS5x slightly & Symbian heaps, yes.
But in the comparos I've seen.... (heaps have been posted here)
It's def. not worse consumption-wise than Android or WP when usage pattern is avg'd out to "typical user".*
WP seems to be slightly better than Android, but the within the error of margin I guess.
Maemo 6x seems to be ever so slightly ahead of both, but within the error margin too possibly.

*highly subjective I know.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-03-16 at 16:49. Reason: typo

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Wait a min, it's certainly not worse than Android 4x or WP7x... iOS5x slightly yes...
Honestly, the N9 has proven to be far less usable without a charger within reach.

Only my stock Samsung Captivate was worse with about 6 hours of my type of usage - a custom ROM (Serendipity) resolved that for me. No such luck with the N9. 8 hours if I'm lucky; on standby though, it's great for 2 days.

PR1.2 has made my battery life much worse than PR1.1 ever was.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, free oss, goodbyenokia, idiot thread, idiotibrakalifa, schizophrenia, tizen doa, tizen lives, tizen schmizen, troll fest!