Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Cool, that looks pretty.

Reminds me a lot of the Harmattan version of cuteTube.

Speaking of which, is there an option to use an unthemed cuteTube (or using the Fremantle-style QtComponents for Fremantle), for those who like to have it fit in with the rest of Fremantle?

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
@marxian: thank for the update.

A little bit OT, but why do you decide to go back to plain Qt? qmltube is working flawlessly. Any particular reason why you didn't use your hildon-qml components?

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Indeed Marxian, you have made an interesting journey from Python to QML and back to C++.

A more in depth explanation would be interesting for a blog entry.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Cool, that looks pretty.

Reminds me a lot of the Harmattan version of cuteTube.

Speaking of which, is there an option to use an unthemed cuteTube (or using the Fremantle-style QtComponents for Fremantle), for those who like to have it fit in with the rest of Fremantle?
I'm not sure what you mean. This version uses QtGui, so it behaves like any other application that uses QtGui widgets. The screenshots were taken using the notstock theme, which is why it looks different.

My website

GitHub

Last edited by marxian; 2012-09-19 at 15:53. Reason: Link to notstock-theme page

Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
@marxian: thank for the update.

A little bit OT, but why do you decide to go back to plain Qt? qmltube is working flawlessly. Any particular reason why you didn't use your hildon-qml components?
I still plan to update qmltube eventually using the Hildon components. The reasons for going back to QtGui and updating this version are:
  1. Some performance issues with popup elements (menus/context menus/dialogs) in the Hildon QML components. I think these can be fairly easily addressed.
  2. I planned to work on a desktop version of cuteTube, and decided to use QtGui for that, so I wanted to familiarise myself with QtGui again. I've since decided not to bother with cuteTube for desktop and instead write a Qt equivalent to JDownloader. I only need the download features for desktop anyway.
  3. I want to move on from cuteTube and focus on other projects. Before I do that, I want to achieve the best results possible, both in terms of performance (where QtGui has an advantage) and features.
  4. For the hell of it. It was painful to use QtGui again at first, but I've since learned to like it.

My website

GitHub

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Indeed Marxian, you have made an interesting journey from Python to QML and back to C++.

A more in depth explanation would be interesting for a blog entry.
I like learning new things. I wrote cuteTube using Python because that was the language I chose to learn in my spare time whilst I was studying OOP using Java. I wrote the QML version because I wanted an improved version and QML looked pretty interesting, whereas C++ seemed forbidding to a relatively inexperienced programmer. After realising the limitations of Javascript, I re-wrote the backend using C++. Finally, I decided to write the entire application using C++.

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Acidspunk View Post
Some things I've noticed.

I can't seem to change the player to KMPlayer. It always uses media player regardless. It's like it doesn't save the option. Also, how do you mark several videos from a list in this version? I couldn't figure it out.
The media player setting works for me. Are you pressing the 'Save' button in the dialog after changing the option? If so, check the config file at /home/user/.config/Marxian/cuteTube.conf to see if the correct value is stored there.

Marking multiple videos works in the standard Hildon way:
  1. Choose the action from the menu.
  2. Select the videos from the list.
  3. Confirm the action by tapping the button in the 'edit' bar.

It's different from the QML version, but I made the decision to follow the Hildon standard where possible.

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lonk View Post
I'm getting the kmplayer problem too, so I have to configure that manually

another problem is I can't go on the Dailymotion profile, it doesn't load

also does full support for Dailymotion mean I can upload videos there in this version?
I can reproduce the profile bug. I must have broken something at the last minute.

There is no upload option yet, because Dailymotion uses multipart HTTP POST, which is not supported in Qt 4.7.x (support was introduced in Qt 4.8.0). I can implement it myself, but I think it's tricky (time consuming) to do without reading the entire file into memory.

My website

GitHub

Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Marxian, thanks for the update!

As some users mentioned before, can you also add an option for "play videos when minimized"? So if this checkbox is enabled, it will use some integrated videoplayer like it used to have.

It's kinda dealbreaker at the moment if you want to listen to some music (like just a quick streaming, so no need to save the flv/mp4 file), I can't minimize it to do other (simple) stuff, like replying a chat message...

Please reconsider this. It was a feature before, so I'm sure you can reimplement this back

I thought multitasking was one of the features of Maemo(Harmattan) right?
I presume that you're referring to the Harmattan version? The problem there is that I can't test against PR1.3, and I'm not willing (and can't afford) to take any chances when it comes to stability of the application. It's also not simply a case of slotting the old code back in. The backend has been re-written, and the UI has been changed to make use of the additional toolbar space. I'd have to re-write the playback code, change the UI, and hope for the best on PR1.3.

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by scoobydoo View Post
any news on why xtube is no longer working always shows no videos found. thanks in advance
It's working for me in this version. Probably not in the QML version because the HTML for some (if not all) of the sites has been changed.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:

Tags
youtube