Active Topics

I agree, cellphones with camera can at best take crappy snapshots that you will throw away. Good photographs are taken with real cameras like DSLR or point and shoot. There is nothing like using my Nikon D80 with real lens. By thhe way, I bought my 1st cell 2 months ago, for 1 reason: emergencies. Finding somebody actualy stealing my car was the trigger. It will be useful when my girl friend will give birth soon...Otherwize, I prefer IM than phone.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan View Post
Sorry qole, I didnt read enough. But you also failed to include a camera as a convergence feature that N8XX is lacking. But just the lack of phone and camera capabilities is enough to remove the N8XX from anyones list of a convergence device.

allnameswereout, if you can, get an N95 8Gig. If you can use ATT I would get it because you get 1.3 download speeds for $14.99.

The N96 is just not that much better.
Ive only used up 6 gig and when I need to I move some things off.
There is no AT&T here. Data plans cost between 7 and 10 EUR here for mobile phones (above the other costs) although these do have a FUP. IMO its very unwise to buy a N95 right now because in less than a month the N96 is released and this will lower the old stock of N95's considerably (at least -1 and -2 versions). I saw this happening with N95-1, too.

You're right about the differences between the N95-2/N95-4 and the N96. With software updates you can get your N95 a lot better (I heard even supporting DVB-T?) at least say A-GPS support. And, speaking of which, the on-board GPS on the N95-2/N94-4 series is also _very_ good. The difference between N95-2 and N96 is, all in all, not huge but if you look carefully, there are some small changes which quite change the usability. Improve (better form factor, good GPS when 'intact', better battery life with less strong battery), or in some ways perhaps even negative (slower processor, no 3D acceleration). I am definately waiting for reviews first.

As for the camera. I always want to carry a camera with me, and always do. Policeman beating an old lady and you want to photograph the event? N95/N96 is more than good enough. N8x0 isn't. Car crash, wanting to quickly take picture including license plate? N95/N96 is more than good enough. N8x0 isn't. Basically, the mobile phone of the N95/N96/N82 is good enough for most people. Heck, it even allows flawless integration with social networking sites. With geotagging. Would be hard to censor that. Professionals carry better, dedicated cameras. Sure. Worth the extra spice, time, and effort. Well, unless someone asks you to remove the picture, "or else..."

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Agree, GA. I use a Camera or HD camcorder to take photos. If I'm caught without a camera, I might use the Nokia's built-in camera app to snap something in 640x480 but by no means do I consider it a photo-quality device. More often than not, dedicated hardware INTENDED to serve a purpose tend to serve that purpose well and a 'convergence device' tends to, at best, do only a reasonable job. That's my experience, anyway.
Good point on the intention.

Clearly this doesn't make the camera on the phone useless unless you keep always using the other dedicated camera. Just because laptops and nettopts exist doesn't mean a NIT is useless. Even if you own both. It really depends on all kind of factors like the situations, purposes, your values, and how much you wish to invest (or might have already invested).

The camera on the N95/N96 is, for a phone camera, very good, BTW.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
As for the camera. I always want to carry a camera with me, and always do. Policeman beating an old lady and you want to photograph the event? N95/N96 is more than good enough. N8x0 isn't. Car crash, wanting to quickly take picture including license plate? N95/N96 is more than good enough. N8x0 isn't. Basically, the mobile phone of the N95/N96/N82 is good enough for most people. Heck, it even allows flawless integration with social networking sites. With geotagging. Would be hard to censor that. Professionals carry better, dedicated cameras. Sure. Worth the extra spice, time, and effort. Well, unless someone asks you to remove the picture, "or else..."

Yeah I see what you mean. Though it is possible to take pictures of a car and the license plate with the n800. I did it once when I saw a Bentley. But the picture would've looked alot better with a real camera (or even a camera phone. Though preferbly a camera). (not the n810 because the camera is in front and I'd have no clue how you'd even position that properly lol).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
As for the camera. I always want to carry a camera with me, and always do. Policeman beating an old lady and you want to photograph the event?
Wow.. I sure am glad I'm not the only one going out of their way to take pictures of policemen beating on old ladies! Is there a Flickr pool for those yet?

Police brutality never gets old.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan View Post
Sorry qole, I didnt read enough. But you also failed to include a camera as a convergence feature that N8XX is lacking. But just the lack of phone and camera capabilities is enough to remove the N8XX from anyones list of a convergence device.
I guess the point of my post is that there still really isn't any such thing as a "convergence device" because there's no infrastructure. Anyway. Carry on everyone.

I will say this guys.

The N8XX must change or it, the device you and I love so much, will die.

There is only a small niche market for N8XX without phone features and I guarantee you that Nokia will not continue making it unless it picks up a broader appeal.

Listening to some of your comments about a 5MB camera being no good while 8MB phones are starting to hit the market, lets me thinks most of you have your heads in the clouds. Even if a camera were left off of the device if Nokia does not add phone features then you can kiss the N8XX goodbye.

And remember, "You heard it from me first".

qole, there is such a thing as a convergence device.

Its is the N95, N96, the iphone.

Statements like those let me know you are not thinking straight or somethin.

You aren't reading what he said..

Convergence, in any meaningful sense, can't really happen until you can use a single radio & protocol for all of your data and voice needs. "Smartphones" are, at best, hack jobs on the same level as my Debian chroot hack. They cleverly disguise the fact that they are putting two separate worlds (voice and data) side-by-side, and make it look like those two worlds are "converging". They aren't. The fact they are living on the same device doesn't make them "converged". They're not truly united, they're only uneasy roommates, always jostling each other around in your tiny box.
The N95, N96 and the iPhone are hack-job wannabe's that attempt to trick you into feeling a false sense of togetherness. A lot of work goes into to making it APPEAR transparent to you... but that doesn't mean it's actually transparent.

And still with the N95, N96 and iPhone you are locked into a specific carrier and stuck with a monthly bill on top of the $400 price tag that comes with it. With the N810 there is no monthly requirement.. and anywhere you find internet connectivity it does everything the N95, N96, and iPhone can do..

The N810 does it the right way, and i hope it continues, in that the device itself is a internet tablet starting point.. and anything else you want can be added - thus making a universal device. Want constant internet? Tether to a phone.. or in the next release maybe they'll make some form of insert chip/module that you can add to it - similar to the USB broadband modems running rampant in telco businesses now.. Want more software?? Load a new OS... Thus allowing the user to customize to their specific needs... not Nokia trying to guess what every user out there wants but allowing them to make it the device they want.

Freedom; not limitations; is the way a free, open-source, framework is supposed to be maintained. You're trying to stip the very reasons I prefer the N810 over something like the iPhone... Closed, locked down, require $$$ for everything, monthly payments....

Truthfully.. if the n96 and iPhone are your gig then great.. they are your gig and you can make suggestions for those developers to improve their platform... but don't try and get a completely different mindset to "improve" their platform by moving the direction of another platform.. The N810 is a wonderful device that is extremely unique in that it is essentially a Laptop that fits in my pocket. All I hope for is them to expand on the available software base for the default OS (which the community is helping in strides) - and the most important upgrades will be Better Hardware (CPU, memory, storage space, etc) while keeping it this size or similar. Nothing more need be added IMHO. With more stuff like Cell Phones come more restriction.. I get enough of being told what I can and can't do with the crap that I buy on a day to day basis.. I like the fact I can do whatever I want with my N810.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:

Tags
troll