Active Topics

Qole, Will GParted work for Easy Debian and it like it would allow me to make a duplicate copy of entire mmc2 including dual boot with Diablo. I need a quick way to make a backup mmc2 for testing purposes. I do this with mmc1 where I put Easy Debian. It allows me to redo Easy Debian in 3 minutes flat. TIA

Last edited by dan; 2008-08-19 at 00:36.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
It seems that I spoke a little too soon. GParted works great with unmounted ext2 partitions. I have tried to resize the fat32 partition on an 8GB card and the fat32 partition on my external USB HDD, both with no success. In both cases, the fat32 partition filled the entire device. In both cases, the fat32 partition was auto-mounted in Maemo. GParted couldn't unmount the partitions (because they were mounted in Maemo, and the chroot mounts were just bindings, I think) so I closed the chroot, unmounted the partitions, started the chroot back up and tried again... However, when the fat32 partitions were unmounted, GParted claimed that it couldn't read them, and so wouldn't allow me to resize them. So I mounted them within the chroot and tried again. GParted won't let me resize because the partition is mounted. So I unmount from within GParted. This time, the unmount is a success. However, the same error occurs. When unmounted, the fat32 partition becomes unreadable and so cannot be resized. Argh!

I guess the workaround is to format the drive and create a half-size fat32 partition, then use GParted to mess about with secondary partitions.

Dan: GParted has "copy" as one of the options for a partition, so I suspect what you want would work.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
I wonder now hard it would be to port Gparted to maemo, besides hildonization. after all, it's practicly available for armel, all that probably needds tweaking (becides hildonization) is the library files that run it.

Btw, i will be a little busy, I acsidently killed my deblet install and i'm working with Stskeeps to try to bring it back from the dead.. I worked too hard to have to just re-install deblet and loose all the work i put into it (my awsome desktop and all the apps i installed allong with marrine pluse all my costom themes and screenlets).
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Qole, I installed Gparted and it gave me a Hal error but I have Hal installed, then it gave me a gnome-device-manager error but I have gnome-device-manager installed, etc... Below is screen shot of Synaptic manager and the debian chroot. Anyway to get Gparted working on Easy Debian? I need Gparted for copying mmc2. TIA
Attached Images

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Dan, I discuss the error you show in your second screenshot in my post above:

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Notes:

I found I had to do this to get the dbus side of things working. Don't know if I needed to do it or not; gparted-bin seems to work even if I don't set up the dbus stuff.

In Maemo xterm (not Debian), after mounting Debian partition:

Code:
mount -o bind /var/run/dbus/ /debian/var/run/dbus/
I suggest trying gparted-bin first. If you are not happy with that, try the mount command and then try gparted again.

Qole,

Thanks got it loaded. I don't see any devices though? Below is a screenshot. I have Debian in mmc1 and dual boot in mmc2. Any ideas?? Newbie question

Also how do I set up the menu path to apps like GParted, GTKOrphan etc... that require you to go in from chroot? Newbie question

B-man sorry to hear about your lost Debian. This happened to me about five times before I created a backup solution to Easy Debian that I regularly update so that as I test new apps, features, etc.. in Easy Debian, I know that I can be backup in 5 minutes or less.

This is why I drive everyone crazy on these forums looking for a backup solution to mmc2 with dual boot and Diablo. So if mmc2 gets fried I can just reload the entire mmc2 card in a few minutes with a mirror backup of my previous mmc2 setup. So far no one has shown me a way to completely create a mirror backup. I can do it for Easy Debian on mmc1, but no go on mmc2. Let's find a way to do this so we can test to our hearts content and know that if it get's fried we can replace and be backup in a few minutes.
Attached Images

Last edited by dan; 2008-08-19 at 13:57.

You have to run gparted with arguments i.e. your different storage medians. So, I would run at the debian prompt "gparted /dev/mmcblk0 /dev/mmcblk1"

As for the proper commands to launch debian apps from outside the terminal, what is it qole? 'sudo debian hilda <app>' or 'debbie <app>' or 'sudo debian -u user <app>', I don't know, it seems like it keeps changing...

Edit: Ok, I just tested it, and "sudo debian hilda <app>" seems to work. So that is what you'd put in the Exec= line of your .desktop file.

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

Last edited by BrentDC; 2008-08-19 at 15:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
BrentDC many thanks.
Gparted and Emelfm2 are very powerful apps for Nxx's.
Would you happen to know how to make a mirror copy of mmc2 using Gparted?
Also do you happen to know how to activate GMPC and QTStalker?? I got them loaded but I can't seem to activate(similar to GParted problem you just solved).
I know the sudo debian hilda <app>. When I try to launch Gparted from a menu I get an error message saying, 'Gparted must be run from root'. Just testing to see if it can be run from menu so I don't have to remember all these commands. GTKOrphan is the same way. On the Maemo side I have several apps that need to be run from command line. Any ideas?? TIA

Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
As for the proper commands to launch debian apps from outside the terminal, what is it qole? 'sudo debian hilda <app>' or 'debbie <app>' or 'sudo debian -u user <app>', I don't know, it seems like it keeps changing...

Edit: Ok, I just tested it, and "sudo debian hilda <app>" seems to work. So that is what you'd put in the Exec= line of your .desktop file.
"sudo debian hilda <app>" is the first, oldest, and always the safest way to launch an app from the menu. If you have the newest scripts from the "Running Debian in a chroot" thread, you can use the shorter (and, I suppose, more 'correct') "debbie <app>". The debbie script had some problems in previous versions of the scripts.

EDIT: If you want to run a Debian app as root, drop the "hilda" so that it is just "sudo debian <app>".

I wonder if the QTStalker app is having difficulties because you ran it as root, and now the permissions are messed up? Maybe post any errors you get in the terminal...

Last edited by qole; 2008-08-19 at 18:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I've never run QTStalker from root until now. Below is the errors I get.
chroot set up already!
Everything set up, running chroot...
[root@Debian: /]qtstalker
ASSERT: "i <= nodes" in /usr/include/qt3/qvaluelist.h (376)
QGDict::hashKeyString: Invalid null key
Config::getDbPlugin:/usr/lib/qtstalker/db/lib.0.32 Dll error

QRangeControl::setRange: minValue 0 > maxValue -1
Config::getIndicator:can't open indicator file /home/user/.qtstalker/data0/indicator/Indicators/
ASSERT: "i <= nodes" in /usr/include/qt3/qvaluelist.h (376)
Config::getDbPlugin:/usr/lib/qtstalker/db/lib.0.32 Dll error

QRangeControl::setRange: minValue 0 > maxValue -1
[root@Debian: /]
I hope you know what all this means because I'm too new to this to undestand. QTStalker does load and I can configure but it just can't seems to access the downloaded files from yahoo. TIA.

Last edited by dan; 2008-08-19 at 18:44.

Tags
debian, deblet, easy debian