Originally Posted by torshind View Post
Could a moderator open a sticky thread "Old members say farewell!", please?
Better : "old member registered with 200 nicks say farewell but it's not true".

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I think they see it more as a transitional piece, but yes, it's been clear since at least last summer, well before the release of the N900, that Harmattan (and its capacitive multitouch screen) was the mass market ready product Nokia wanted to be selling.
I soooo missed this statement. This... is... wow. If true, that's just as bad as Apple.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Are you saying Ofono isn't as open as it has been purported to be? Or are you comparing Ofono and the telephony stack that's actually in Maemo 5?

If the former, would you please point out the pieces that are closed? I've missed that announcement or discussion.

If the later, please further remember that Nokia made it clear quickly after the announcement of Ofono, and long before even the first pre-alpha SDK for Maemo 5, that Ofono would be part of Harmattan, not Fremantle.
Well, sounds like a lot of elements to break down to follow what I was thinking versus what you're saying:

If the former, how will I point out what has been closed up if what actually exists and has been delivered isn't open (ala, the latter question)?

If the latter, what difference does it make which one I'm talking about if there isn't going to be a Harmattan? Isn't Maemo 5 the end of the road for the N900? Will Ofono appear in MeeGo as a fully opened stack?

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I soooo missed this statement. This... is... wow. If true, that's just as bad as Apple.
I actually do remember them saying that, yep. Long ago.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Will Ofono appear in MeeGo as a fully opened stack?
I believe that is actually the plan.

Remember, Nokia isn't the sole controlling force to MeeGo.. and MeeGo will not have closed pieces in the core part of the OS (IE: It won't come with things such as mp3 support, similar to Ubuntu and such) - so since Ofono is listed as part of it's default comms stack it would have to exist in a fully open implementation.. otherwise everyone who tries to use MeeGo would end up paying either Nokia, or Intel, for use of their closed ofono pieces.. Which is exactly the opposite of the reason the Linux Foundation is hosting it...

IF my understanding is correct.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
If the former, how will I point out what has been closed up if what actually exists and has been delivered isn't open (ala, the latter question)?
As far as I know, Ofono is open. Your post was vague, but it seemed possible you were implying this wasn't (completely) true. I was asking if that's what you were saying, and if so, what you'd read/seen/heard about closed parts.

Based upon your confused reply, I take it you know of no closed portions of Ofono.

If the latter, what difference does it make which one I'm talking about if there isn't going to be a Harmattan?
There is. It will not be called Maemo 6 though. Nokia has not announced what they'll be calling it exactly, though for sure it will be tied to MeeGo, not Maemo.

Isn't Maemo 5 the end of the road for the N900?
In terms of officially supported firmware, yes.

So far as I know. We've looped back to the top of this post.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I remain cynically optimistic, if that's at all a possible state of being.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
All signs point to yes. If you noticed Nitdroid news, there's been rumblings about GPRS support.

As part of MeeGo for N900 there has been work to further support N900 cellular modem in Ofono and yesterday a needed patch to power on the modem came in (hence people playing with GPRS now). It's seemingily open source enough for even the Nitdroid and Gentoo people to use it

Other (open!!) bits are cellular modem speech path, telepathy connection manager for ofono, pulseaudio modules for cellular modem and such

I personally look forward to when we can make a voice call with a fully open stack on N900 as all the pieces are making their way into the open*

(* on Linux side. The actual cellular modem software which doesn't run inside Linux, but on a separate processor, is probably not open nor will ever be for regulatory reasons. That we can control it's functions using a open stack is good though.)
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2010-08-10 at 21:13.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Switch_ View Post
Sorry Gerbick, I thought you must have known about it - being such an active member on these forums. Yes, indeed, the demise of qwerty12, due in no small part to the antagonistic actions of certain other individuals who frequent this place.....

I was speechless too. If you read the rant you will understand fully the reasons why. I'm with him on his thoughts on the matter - and the previous posts from fanboys in this very thread are simply justification for his actions.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's not a question of "when I ask for your opinion I'll tell you what it is", that's why it's termed "YOUR" opinion..... The OP has lost faith, moved from Nokia to Andriod. Fair play. I got no argument and neither should anyone else.
Many in that rant were blamed unfairly, wrongly.

But yes, collective defections (bloggers, developers, advocates, etc) is a sure sign of trouble for Nokia. Many of us predicted it when the MeeGo announcement was made. For one, I'm not happy at all to be right about that.

What I don't care for though are the childish slams against those of us trying to find some sort of silver lining. The attacks from the completely disenchanted are undeserved. Just as everyone is entitled to their unique opinion, so are we all entitled to find our own way forward.

My personal goal is to carry as much of Maemo into MeeGo as I can. Others have elected to fly as far from both as they can. C'est la vie, C'est la guerre. No reason to insult anyone over either choice.

Can we agree to disagree? if not, why not?

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Many in that rant were blamed unfairly, wrongly.
Just like the rant a comment like that is highly subjective. Personally I thought he was spot on in most cases. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion and there really is no need bold that you happen to think it was wrong.

Since it wasn't.

And that's my subjective opinion.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Last edited by silvermountain; 2010-08-10 at 21:36.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
Just like the rant a comment like that is highly subjective. Personally I thought he was spot on in most cases. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion and there really is no need bold that you happen to think it was wrong.
Blame was absolutely misplaced. That's not subjective, it's black and white.

And if you read my post before replying you saw that I did acknowledge the whole point about opinions. I'll be the first to defend EVERYONE'S right to hold their personal opinions, regardless of popularity or political correctness. But we're not just talking about holding opinions, silvermountain, we're talking about things like libel and slander.

Tags
broken windows, de ja vu, heavy sigh, hulksmash