Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
But-- your goal is to find a solution, right?

That's the context too often ignored.
Sometimes my goal is to prevent others from getting burned. I do it here, sometimes. People ask here if the N900 is for them. The answer is sometimes yes and sometimes no.

I guess communitysucks-boy must have a goal slightly related to that. I mean, something made him pick this place instead of all other possible fishing grounds.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Sometimes my goal is to prevent others from getting burned. I do it here, sometimes. People ask here if the N900 is for them. The answer is sometimes yes and sometimes no.

I guess communitysucks-boy must have a goal slightly related to that. I mean, something made him pick this place instead of all other possible fishing grounds.
Understood, but still: you have a productive goal of some sort.

Krisse started this thread to decry those with pure destructive goals. They are not to be confused with disgruntled customers or those who justifiably recommend against an N900. They are usually self-obvious. I'm still hoping we can engrave that and move past it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Small reflection: if this place is not truly a developer forum, and it's certainly not solely a user forum, might it best be described as a 'contributor forum'?

Reflecting on what's been said (and trying not to get any inflated sense of self-importance) it seems that what is most encouraging to see in new members and users is a willingness to contribute, whether that be code, advice, friendliness or just plain silliness (like the get-apt game idea!) This seems to me to entirely in keeping with what I understand of the Open Source Philosophy.

So what feels helpful is when someone with a problem can discuss it, enter the bugs or vote on them, try out suggestions and give feedback. And when people without a problem can say "I worked that bit out - do it like this" (which is mostly my forte - the corners of the basic UI.)

And what feels unhelpful is people who want to receive something without contributing back: they want software, apps, bugfixes, hardware solutions or just a plain old screaming-room. And they want it now. And they expect us to provide it, without asking what they can contribute back.

Looking at the user patterns, I'd say some of them come around (by force of the sheer decency of the majority of t.m.o. users) to making some contribution - almost despite themselves. They may go on to become useful community contributors.

Those who don't do seem eventually to drop away. I've noticed a number of posters who were very vocal and challenging simply disappear after a few weeks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Small reflection: if this place is not truly a developer forum, and it's certainly not solely a user forum, might it best be described as a 'contributor forum'?
I like where you're going with this. I've heard similar philosophy before. It's an excellent idea... I've never seen it truly visualized though.

t.m.o does come close.. but I can't help but still feel like there are too many that take/take/take. It's quite frustrating.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
This thread was moving a bit fast a while, so I apologize if I skipped a few points you'd like to hear my opinion on :P

Now, I sort of reached that point I mentioned earlier. Maybe not "yes, you're right" as I doubt I changed anyones perspective, but I still feel I've said what I thought to say, and some of the points I made were clearly understood. I... don't have anything more to say :B

How about collaborator forum?

How about collaborator forum?
That would be fine, except for the possible suggestions of underhand war allies... Makes me want to start quoting from 'Allo Allo' (Brit comedy setin wartime France).

feh. No one here would think in such terms except you.

But seriously: I think the forum header could use a tagline to identify target audience. At least then no one could feign ignorance over what we are...

feh. No one here would think in such terms except you.
True. Though whether that's because no-one is as historically educated as I or that merely no-one is as old leave you to decide for yourself.

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
OP, I respect your intentions, but I don't need people telling me how to criticize things. It is called individual opinion. If I wake up with a bad mood, I will be less tolerant. If I'm in a good mood, I may drink an ounce of the Maemo koolaid.

Ultimately, customers will not sugarcoat things. They will actually say that "xyz device sucks". No reason to preach posting ethics.

Tags
cars and radios, community, constructive criticism, critcism, criticizing criticism, critiquing critiques, maemo.org, maturity, on fanning trolls, on trolling fans, talk, talk.maemo.org