Active Topics

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by park View Post
What I do not like:
Charging over usb only, I really miss the old nokia plug. Was much better on N95. Could charge both ways. Plug or USB.
N95 can charge via USB? Since when?

The Following User Says Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
If the screen ocupied the whole front area, were would you hide the speakers without making them even more puny?
Why? The speakers are on the bottom half of the unit. Unless there is real tech reason(eg. electrical interference) to the display, then I do see good reason to NOT extend the display to the edges(except for the end where the front-camera and sensors are).

cheers,

The Following User Says Thank You to cheve For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by park View Post
What I do not like:
Charging over usb only, I really miss the old nokia plug. Was much better on N95. Could charge both ways. Plug or USB.
Didnīt you get an extra plug with your box? I carry the usb charger with me but have my old Nokia charger in the bedroom and use that with the extra plug.

The device is very shitty out of the box, and it really takes some time to have everything set up. If you are willing to invest the time, you will love this phone.
I would call it rudimentary, rather than shitty but in a way I guess thatīs to be expected given the nature of most of the decent Linux distroīs out there. They require some work and knowledge. Itīs a nerds phone after all, not meant for humans...

Which is probably the main dislike I have about this device: itīs targeted wrongly and sold as a device that non-techies can use. Which in turn leads to a board full of non information, FUD and silly questions being asked over and over again...

Last edited by anthonie; 2011-01-12 at 08:15.

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
I'm getting sick of my phone's screen lock that seems completely unreliable.

Its always making calls in my pocket, deleting/rearranging widgets etc.

I know there are a lot of fans of resistive screens here, but a capacitive screen would be great purely for the fact when its in your pocket it can be accidentally triggered

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Perhaps you have a program that is unlocking it or preventing it from autolocking, or you set the autolock period for too long, or you got some magnets near your pockets, or perhaps you're one of the few that have already worn off the screen slide springness and has the screen just open up as you walk?

I place mine on my pocket and somtimes in my backpack pocket all the time, and except for this time i forgot i had set the GPS track recording software to light up the screen while moving, i never had any issues with unwanted screen input, usually i don't even check if it is locked or not before pocketing it, i just trust it will be locked when necessary and way more often than not it always proves it deserves my trust.

Originally Posted by lwa View Post
I'm getting sick of my phone's screen lock that seems completely unreliable.

Its always making calls in my pocket, deleting/rearranging widgets etc.

I know there are a lot of fans of resistive screens here, but a capacitive screen would be great purely for the fact when its in your pocket it can be accidentally triggered
How does resistive vs capacitive screen makes a difference in this issue?

I think it is your keyboard which gets slightly slided out and unlocks the screen. I've had same problem often.
That is why I asked this. That is, is source code of package osso-systemui-tklock open and found somewhere or not?

• Nokia awful support
  • Battery drain
  • Charger on top (well, on the left indeed)

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The main problem I have with the Nokia N900 is that it didn't support AT&T 3G frequencies. T-Mobile in my area is plain non-existent.

Originally Posted by magullo View Post
  • Charger on top (well, on the left indeed)
Yeah, basically what I think. But Nokia have always dropped some sort of clanger with their designs (enter the Nokia 7280, N-Guage and the 7600)
If your headphones have got a 90deg jack on them then you either block the stylus or hinder the unlock switch. the socket should have been top-left by the volume/zoom rocker.
As for the charger socket. I think that should have been bottom centre. Would have been a great position for designing desktop cradles.
And the lanyard hole should be where the headphone socket is now.

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
I think imve posted on this thread already but thought of a couple of other minor niggling issues:

In the phone and messaging apps, when you scroll down through calls/messages the 'new call/message' and 'select contact' buttons also scroll up and out of view, so if the person you wanted to call isn't in your recent calls as you expected then you have to scroll back up to select them from the contact list. only a small issues, but annoying..

Also, the notes app doesn't support kinetic scrolling, only a fiddly scrollbar.. Then again, that does mean you can highlight text easily..

The Following User Says Thank You to Tedri Mark For This Useful Post:

Tags
english mf do, you speak it?